Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Zeck is almost 8 months, he'll gleefully launch himself and nail me from behind paws almost to my shoulders and trying to get my full attention. Friday at the dogpark he was ready to go and he came over to me when I asked but then wanted to keep away just enough that I couldn't leash him, much to the enjoyment of the other dog owners.... But in my calmest lowest voice I told him I wasn't playing that game and turned and walked purposefully to the gate. within seconds he had the leash in my right hand also in his mouth, walked me to the gate and sat for me to clip it. I was SO PROUD of him so naturally 10ft out of the gates he starts his whirling jumping eat the leash, thrash around, grab mom's leg with his whole front leg and stop me, start eating my shoe and taking my pants, biting at my thighs trying to get his leash bouncing off on me.... yeah..... I thknk that is the Kill mom game thing. I just stop ignore him look away and try to feel bored. I hold my end of the leash up and when I hold still long enough he finally realizes he is the only one playing and that's not as much fun. we finally can move forward again but this will sometimes happen every 10 ft and sometimes not at all. He just gets this "look" before he launches... he LOVES ME and correcting him really does only encourage him more. LOL I wouldn't trade a single bruise but boy I get sick of condescending people who's dogs have half the manners my zech does normally making side comments.
    - though after reading some of the fun Jewel's had I make sure my pants and undies, and leggings etc are clean and as stay up well LOLOL he'll try and pull socks off my feet to get my attention.... he only does this to me and hubby though he's a sweety meeting people, he greets customers at the shop all day with beautiful manners mostly... he is only 7 1/2 months... He is everything I could imagine and burying my head in that neck is the best feeling in the world.... I can't wait to see what he manages as he matures.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo was a very high energy pup and gave us hell for a while. They do grow out of the bratty horrible stage though. I just have to brag a bit on The giant furry beast though. I recently broke my ankle, we are talking Severely shattered the ankle, I had surgery Wednesday to repair it. I have a 3 inch steel plate on the inner side of my ankle with 6 screws, and 2 screws on the outer side of my ankle. Now Apollo is 3 and a half and has been such a good boy!! He hasn't tried to jump on me for hugs, When he gets in bed with me he is mindful of my hurt foot, and he has been more loving with me than ever before. So eventually all the work, embarrassment and down right abuse stops and they become lovely companions.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Christi....I hope that you heal soon...ankles & the foot area are so tender

Glad that Apollo is taking good care of you..I'm sure he's remembering how you nursed him back to health during his parvo episode

And on topic....Rudy who is now 5 going on 6 yrs., was never a big jumper or nose butt guy..except when my neighbor encouraged him to "hug" her....now that she has a big dog of her own, she realizes the effect of her actions!

What Rudy really likes to do is put is head between my legs...whether I'm standing or walking....

Our first Pyr, Spirit, was a "noser" but she seemed to do it only when she was excited & wanted us to hurry up

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zech's Mom View Post
    He just gets this "look" before he launches...
    Sebastian does, too. It’s really a micro expression that I can only describe as a “twinkle in his eye”. I sure know it when I see it, though.

As for the pulling off of the socks, I have been there, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF1B4759-6AD1-461E-AE06-63F347E006EA.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	9449

He also enjoyed biting blankets while I was underneath to see which spot would make me say “ouch”, which is what was going on in the photo above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6845E03-EBE4-4F13-924E-67D013A78E51.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	9450

Then I would get the “What? But you’re a lady! You’re not supposed to have nerve endings!” look.

He tried pantsing me in public once, but was fortunately not successful. That was the last time I took him outside while wearing pjs.

I went back and reread parts of Attack of the Giant Teenage Puppy myself, and am astounded by how much easier living with Sebastian is now than it was back then. He still has his moments that make me wonder why I didn’t choose to get a cat or a hamster instead, but those moments are waaaaaaaaaaaay fewer and farther between.

I should probably post an epilogue to that thread, where I talk about what I have learned from him, and what I had to unlearn. The idea that I could expect him to behave like the other dogs I have known was a BIG thing to unlearn - and probably amongst the most beneficial.

As painful and often humiliating as that period was, I will say that it taught me a lot - about Sebastian, about myself, and thanks to my friends and mentors here, about dog training and behavior. I am thankful for those lessons each and every day.

I am also thankful that he outgrew that phase!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Also, Christi, the boys and I are sending lots of healing energy to you!

Good boy, Apollo, for taking care of your Mommy!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I've taken a few classes at the AKC training classes. I am surprised by how there weren't any in the confomormation or obedeince classes.
    Not a surprise. People who get pyrs (I say pyrs because the other LGDs breeds aren't nearly as often acquired as family companions) for the most part assume they aren't good in obedience classes so you see few of them. Also, a lot of pyrs are just naturally placid and calm and just don't need the training classes - my first one was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    teenage Kit has earned us a lot of raised eyebrows. I just keep moving and ignore any stares because my dog is a puppy and she is awesome.
    Everything you've described about Kit has sounded pretty normal to me. Kit reminds me of Bijou. Bijou was a great companion, a great protector of her family, an accomplished performance dog who with her titles in AKC obedience and agility earned her a place in the record books of the Great Pyrenees Hall of Fame. She was my soul. There were a lot of obstacles that we had to overcome in her performance career. I didn't really pay that much attention to what other people thought. It was about my relationship with her. To be honest, we got a lot of support from fellow competitors. They knew I was working with an "impossible" breed for performance sports and they were all very encouraging.

@Christi - oy, so sorry about your ankle! Here's to a smooth and uneventful recovery with Apollo's supervision!!

@Zech's Mom - Bijou's antics taught me to have thick skin and not care all that much of what other people think... Oh and she actually did unpant me once in front of other people.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

God I love this forum and hearing all of your stories! It makes me smile reading your responses.

Zech sounds like he is way better behaved than Kit was at 7 months. She became a little terror around that age because of a crazy energy spike.

Nick's Spirit, I have taught Kit to "nudge" instead of paw. "Nudge" is basically her nosing my hands. So far so good. I've taught her to nudge my hand to alert me to my phone going off while it is in my purse. She is excellent when I have a treat in my hand.

Christi! I'm sorry about your broken ankle. Your description sounds incredibly painful! A few weeks ago I managed shut the car door on my foot and then locked the car. I didn't think that could happen to a human being but it beats having nerve damage from falling off the ladder dec 2016. I have no idea how I manage to hurt myself every december. It usually involves holiday decors. I sincerely wish for a speedy and painless recovery.

Thank you SB and Jewel for your funny and reassuring stories. SB's photo makes the stories even funnier. I am relieved to see that Kit's behavior is the norm for an LGD pup. Seems like most LGD teengagers are like Beethoven the movie! Paul says she is harder than the other three dogs and two cats combined but she is super endearing. She is our only dog that comes over and cuddles by sitting on you. Since Kit isn't a Pyr, she can't be registered with AKC as a purebred dog. I'm not sure how a registration would even work. Her corrected CGC certificate has not yet come in the mail. I did enjoy training classes but some of her issues will take time to work through.

You can register her (and Lucky) through the AKC Partner Program If you’re interested in performance sports. I almost registered Sebastian, but by the time I had (almost) selected a registered name for him, it was abundantly clear that he was happiest NOT doing obedience work. Here is the link:
    http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/canine-partners/

As an adult, Sebastian is one of those dogs that is (usually) so mellow that we don’t really use his training all that often. Usually with him, if he IS worked up enough that his training would come in handy, he is too worked up to listen, anyways. I depend heavily on using treats in exchange for cooperation, and I am fine with that. There are trainers who would say that I am “wrong” to rely so heavily on treats, but my guess is that they have never lived with a dog like Sebastian.

Chester, on the other hand, is happy to cooperate just for the reward of making me happy. He gets treat rewards out of fairness. Were it not for Sebastian, I could have phased a lot of Chester’s daily treat intake a long time ago.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you so much. I knew about the PALs program, which required me to spay Kit. I couldn't do that before her first heat cycle due to the hypoplastic vulva so I never signed her up for it. This is a whole new program I think. Maybe this would be something I can do with Lucky first because he excels at obedience and agility. Once I get comfortable with it, I could slowly introduce Kit.

I have a funny story from today! Kit had such a blast with Lucky yesterday at the dog park. Today, she went crazy and tried desperately to get in the car. She is obsessed with car rides and just kept pulling and pulling to my parked car. Then once she realized I wasn't going to my car, she tried to get into a random person's truck. It was pretty funny and clear she wanted to have outdoor fun. Poor Kit!

Jewel`s Photos

Bro was registered under the PALs program and competed in AKC agility. Another option is to check out of if you have ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) events. We have a big ASCA presence in our area (my agility trainer is an aussie breeder) and where we are they are a very nice, laid back group and welcome all breeds in their performance events. They do both obedience and agility.

I would go ahead and enroll Kit in further training, whether it be obedience or agility, or anything else. It's not so much about titles, but about building the bond between you and her. Lucky too - I think Lucky is likely to be be a very accomplished performance dog.

I need to get Ren into an obedience class. I've been working with him on and off so he knows the concept of obedience, but he needs to be able to perform the same way in public.