Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Yep, Lucky is totally adorable. He looks like he could do much much more and would enjoy doing more. He definitely looks to have lots of potential so keep working with him!

The biggest issue with the pyrs is how to motivate them. It isn't uncommon for pyrs to be uninterested in treats. Pyrs are also generally not interested in tug toys. Many of them will protect you with their lives but are not interested in pleasing you just for the heck of it...

Bijou was treat motivated, but I also spent a lot of time making myself into the most interesting thing in the world to her. I managed to convince her to WANT to work with me; that it was fun to go places and do those illogical things that I asked of her. It also was of tremendous influence that she grew up watching Bro do agility. Bro was only half pyr and his personality was all from his biddable breeds side. He was eager to please and easy to train. Bijou was a busybody by nature and she wanted to do what HE was doing.

To get to this point with Bijou took a long time, a lot of frustration, tons of treats, too many embarrassing moments to count, and incredible encouragement and support from fellow competitors. I loved all of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uO-ZpoywDY

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post

To get to this point with Bijou took a long time, a lot of frustration, tons of treats, too many embarrassing moments to count, and incredible encouragement and support from fellow competitors. I loved all of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uO-ZpoywDY
    Wow is that your dog in the video Jewel? Never seen such a well trained pyr in agility before! So fast and beautiful. Kit can learn all Lucky knows but only if there is a treat. She is more of a negotiator and Lucky is a pleaser. It is most certainly the breed difference. Also I have some good news. I took Kit for a super late night walk and a dude came out of the dark on his phone and freaked me out but most importantly, it scared Kit. She barked in her deep booming warning bark and the dude just ran away. Never seen him before so I have no idea who the stranger was. Yay maybe this is her protective side coming out. I’m so proud of her! After the walk we spent the evening snuggling on the sofa together. Me eating popcorn and her putting her head conveniently under my hand to pick up any crumbs. She has learned to manipulately cuddle and it was such a good night. Moments like this makes me forget all the frustrations we go through. We watched a bunch of YouTube funny animal videos together. After about an hour my husband said he couldn’t watch dog and cat compilations anymore. I could probably go another hour because I am such a huge animal lover. If it were up to me I would probably have a farm. Lol I honestly am most happy when I spend a lazy day with my pets. And I am so in love with Kit; she is just a cuddly marshmallow!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Here is Luckys practice video from today
    https://youtu.be/t7aqub_vM3Y
    https://youtu.be/qLJTShTTBk4
    Snow, Lucky is just too adorable! I have to confess I can't get enough of his energy and attention, but that coat! he has like cheerleader Poms everywhere and watching him move and all his coat bounce is so fun I love watching him!

Good Job Kit on protecting your mom from that stranger danger too!