Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

karilcole`s Photos

Question Crystals in our 3 month olds urine

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board & had a question about our new pup, our 1st great pyrenees! We've had Chloe just over a month (she will be 4 months on the 12th) & we noticed she will only pee a small amount, but many times. She drinks a lot & always has access to water (we have 3 water bowls down in different rooms), but her urine is sometimes very dark yellow.
    I had the vet check a urine sample today & when they called back, they said something about crystals in her urine & scheduled an appt for tomorrow morning to check for bladder stones. This is all new to me & I hate to google anything like this, so.....finally my question. LoL
    Is this something common? Easily treatable? What should I expect at the appt? Are there usually crystals in the urine w/ a common UTI?

Sry for the questions We have a deaf shih-tzu (Lucy), a cleft palate Chihuahua (Daisy) & I run a small wildlife rehab but i've not had any experience with this. Any help would be so appreciated!!
    Thanks so much!
    ~Kari

Jewel`s Photos

My old guy had bladder stones when he was 11 yrs old. That was the first time he had that issue. The vet put him on special food with high acid content. That's been the extent of my experience with the issue. Bro already had bone cancer when the bladder stones were discovered. He passed away not long after that from the cancer.

But I remember one member who dealt with crystals in a puppy. Here are that member's posts you can read the ones about his puppy's crystals problem.
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/search.php?searchid=57

Puppy (New Member)

karilcole`s Photos

Thank you so much! I checked out the link but nothing came up. Is there a way I can search for the member?
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your fur baby

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian had crystals in his urine in conjunction with an undiagnosed UTI when he was 8 months old (He’ll be 6 in April). Once the infection was properly diagnosed and treated, the crystals went away, although it did take his bladder a while to bounce back from the infection. We went outside to potty every 1-2 hours for a good long time, and he still had accidents (some of which were very much on purpose).
    His vet at the time did put him on prescription food. I kept him on it until he broke out in a hot spot on his leg. She never did mention performing an ultrasound to check for stones.
    Hopefully, Chloe’s crystals will clear up when her UTI does. I hope she is feeling much much better soon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by karilcole View Post
    Thank you so much! I checked out the link but nothing came up. Is there a way I can search for the member?
    I checked it and it worked for me... You do have to logged in for the link to work though.

Ah, about those bladder stones... if there are enough of them, they show up on radiographs...
    the emergency room vet said radiograph wouldn't be able to show them, I insisted. Bro had enough of them, they showed up, dozens of them...

Puppy (New Member)

karilcole`s Photos

Says I'm logged in, but it just tells me "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." I will try again. I'm sure its probably something I am or I'm not doing. LoL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy has had this problem. She gets a UTI once a year unfortunately. My vet says it's because, when she squats she gets really low to the ground so dirt and such will splash up as she pees which is what causes the infection. I keep her super clean down there and yes I do sometimes wipe down there after she goes if it isn't in a grassy area.

Puppy (New Member)

karilcole`s Photos

Update on Chloe. Her vet said we will do meds & recheck her urine in 2 weeks. If there are crystals then, will do some testing to look for stones. Thank you for all the replies! We are new to the pyr world. I'm so glad to have found such great place to go to ask questions!