Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Will you ever be a guardian?

Our neighborhood had a bunch of break-ins lately. I have been increasingly concerned about this. Kit is about a 13 months now and I haven't seen any guarding instinct at all. Her personality has not really changed at all which is a good thing because we worked very hard to socialize her because our past Maremma was not friendly with strangers. When people come into my home she is ecstatic. She really loves the food delivery people. She doesn't bark and will roll over for a tummy rub. Kit never barks at any intruders, landscapers, or people passing by whereas my pomeranian will bark himself to death if he hears a leaf drop.

I went to AKC national championship and went to the Kuvasz booth. I was surprised to see that Kit is right around the same size. I used to think I have a shrimpy Maremma. They told me that she will eventually be a guardian. I should wait until she is 2 to judge. However, I don't really any signs of it. Is it because she was raised with my Goldendoodle Lucky, who is a friendly goofball that never barks? She has never shown any guardian signs at inside my home. Kit's dad was like this at 2 years. I wonder if some LGD just don't guard and just stay friendly goofballs for life. I think at the end of the day, I do wish she was a bit more protective like my last Maremma. The only time she has shown her guardian instinct was once in the car. She barked at people walking their dogs and her deep and booming bark sounded like an earthquake and startled everyone. Can Kit help protect our home from intruders? Will her guardian instinct eventually kick in someday?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

can't say for sure...however...as the person at the Kuvasz stated, 18 - 24 months is usually when that instinct kicks in...and then you might want Kit to be back to her old self!

Our first male Pyr was a Mr. Social...he loved everyone & wanted to be around as many people as possible...however, when he found that there was a person he didn't like, he would place himself quietly between me & the person, always with his head towards the person. Most people won't even see this happening, they just think the Pyr is lying down being patient....not always true.

They are an incredible breed, able to read people & situations....Kit will react according to her degree of threat...if it only needs a bark, that's all she'll do...if the threat doesn't take the hint, she will continue to escalate her warning as needed.

Just my observation with the 4 I have had in my life

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

You have to remember that from the standpoint of mental and emotional development, Kit is the equivalent of a 13-year-old child. I donít know about you, but I was nowhere near ready to protect and defend my family when I was that age. Maybe other kids in my age group were. Had I been put in that kind of situation at that age, I am almost certain that I would have ďnopedĒ right on outta there.

Remember in the ethical dilemma thread when I talked about judgement? Judgement is knowing the difference between a threat and a non-threat, and responding accordingly. You donít want Kit to turn into a snarling demon when you have a welcome visitor. That would make her a liability, not a guardian. My gut tells me that both she AND Lucky would have quite a different response if someone entered your home without your approval.

Yes, I said ďAND LuckyĒ. Donít sell him short in this equation. The Standard Poodles we had when I was growing up were very well trained. They were as well-socialized as they could be. Mattie was reserved and shy, but Mamie was a gregarious extrovert who loved everyone - unless she thought they were trying to hurt a member of her family. Then, she could break out the Samuel L. Jackson words in an eye blink. I watched her take a little dog into her mouth and start shaking it one time when we were walking and the little dog charged at our cat, Sophie, who was walking with us. The little dogís owner threatened to call Animal Control on us until I reminded her that 1) her dog charged us, and 2) my dog was on a leash, and hers was not. My stepmother tells a similar story about Mamie.

When it comes to having a dog who can be friendly to strangers who mean no harm, vs. having a dog who can ward off the bad guys, I assure you that you want a dog who can do both. Anyone who tells you that it has to be one way or the other is badly badly misinformed.

While Sebastianís guardian instincts were apparent from the day I brought him home, there was a marked shift in his personality when he hit 2 1/2 years old. He is still bombproof with humans who mean no harm, but he is far less interested in having them pet him. He still does have his favorite people, the sight of whom will make him go bonkers with delight (my Mom is amongst them). For those not on his favorites list, he will sniff and investigate them, then quickly lose interest, walk across the room, and lie down. If he thinks a person is a threat, he will not hesitate to let them know that he kindly asks them to back off, using the most stern words possible for a dog. I fully trust that he would not bite a human unless they really really really posed a threat and ignored his warning barks.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Is it because she was raised with my Goldendoodle Lucky, who is a friendly goofball that never barks? She has never shown any guardian signs at inside my home.
    Her growing up with Lucky would not change her core personality. She is who she is. Bro was raised with two people friendly pyr sisters. Bro did not like people.

Kit's just a year old; her personality is still developing. You have to keep in mind, a well socialized dog with good judgment may not see the need to be "guardy" in everyday circumstances where you've taught her there is nothing to worry about. You don't want Kit to be reacting to things she doesn't need to be reacting to. Sahara was unnecessarily reactive, meaning that she didn't exercise good judgment. It made her dangerous to people. I don't think you want a repeat of that.

Bijou was very sweet by all accounts. But she had the guarding instinct when I needed her to show it. In her 6 years I only saw that true guardy side come out in a few instances, each of which was not a normal everyday no-worries situation. Each time she was right in reacting. In everyday life she was friendly and sweet to people - so if we were so lucky to not ever faced unusual somewhat sticky situations, she would never have had resorted to show her guardy side.

snow0160`s Photos

One reason we got a Goldendoodle instead of an LGD originally was because my husband was worried that another one would end up like Sahara. He is actually very happy that Kit is supremely friendly and does not guard anything including food. Kit does not have any resource aggression either. I think Kit is similar to Bijou in temperment.

Kit have been such a great dog for us. She responds to any command when there is food involved. I've put in so many hours for her CGC and she has really blossomed. I swear you can make this dog dance if there is food. She also recovers exceedingly well from loud sounds or distractions. This is where Kit shines. She pretty much maintains composure even when trains or container trucks rolls by. I'm having hard time with Lucky for public access. He would avoid certain areas like refrigerators. He excels at tasks training but I've put in over 100 hours into public access and his recovery rate is just not great. Lucky does quite well in familiar environments ie home. The one difference between Kit and Lucky is he is much quicker to respond to any commands. Kit will take her time but does it in the end. She is a much bigger dog than Lucky and a very different breed so this is to be expected.

I'm starting to think that Kit might make a much better service dog in public. The first thing any service dog program checks for is friendliness to different kinds of stimulis. This is something our trainer worked extensively on with Kit. She passes with flying colors so perhaps not being a guardian is a good thing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The SD training may be worth investigating with Kit, but keep in mind that there is a chance that she will become less friendly in the next 18-24 months than she is now.

Months ago, I came across this article which I feel makes several good points about trying to use LGDs as SDs. The website is a bit wonky, so I ended up copying and pasting the text into Word so that I could read the whole thing.
    http://www.committedcanine.org/mobility%20sd.htm
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Yay I have some good news! I was walking Kit the last night in 28 degree weather and she was taking a long time. Then out of nowhere a strange dude in a hoodie comes out of the shadows. Kit barked her deep booming warning bark and the dude ran away. I am so happy she protected me! The Kuvasz people said if you were ever in danger, she will be there for you even though I couldnít see it a month ago! Kit is the best! She is a sweet cuddle bug when I watch tv and a protector when I need it. I feel like Iím fallinf in love with her all over again.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

they are amazing....just when you think you know their Pyrsonality....they show another side!

good girl Kit....bark first...then escalate if the need arises

snow0160`s Photos

Kit also barked at a homeless guy today and I felt bad. The homeless dude was wearing a giant down blanket so it did look kinda strange. I understood why she barked at it. Kit is a funny dog she will bark at things she doesn’t understand like surfboards or gulf carts. She seems to understand boats and convertibles.

This Florida winter has been nuts. One day it is 30 degrees during the day and the next day it is in the 70s. So you see people in parkas one day and surfboard the next. My favorite thing in the morning is being able to cuddle her on the bed. Is it me or are big giant fluff balls the best to hug? She is super snuggly when she wants something ie if I am eating popcorn or when she wants her morning walk. She would put her head on me and then do sad eyes. What a clever dog you are! I’ve read on National Geographic’s that dogs don’t naturally have that expression in the wild. It is a response to humans and they learn it from seeing the results. Who says dogs live in the moment? My dog never forgets after mooching human food.

Jewel`s Photos

I have to say I am not surprised in the least bit! These guys have that instinct in them. They don't need to be taught how to react. You teach them what is normal, and they figure out when something isn't.