Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you hate me?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Do you hate me?

We switched Kit's food about two months ago. We now feed her salmon wilderness from blue buffalo. She has been having serious accidents inside the house constantly and we are not certain if it is a GI problems but she is gassier. Her poos look solid and normal. She pees and poos in the house every morning. When we take her outside she does not pee or poo and does it after coming in. As the weather got cooler, she stretches her play time outside and barks in protest when she comes back in. During our daily walks, she knows that after she does her buisness, she has to come back in so it usually takes 30 min before she does anything. When she was a puppy, she did her buisness in 5 min of being outside. Now she doesn't do her buisness after 30 min and she poos inside. Does she hate me, the new food, or being an indoor dog? Last week, my new roomba found one of her poos and dragged it all around the house. I waited all year for the roomba 980 to go on sale on Black Friday and now it sure is crusty. I have a cat that used to poo in our bathtub whenever she was upset. We noticed the cat's behavior whenever we switched litters or when she was running low on cat food. Why is Kit doing this? Is it formal protest?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

My instinct tells me that Kit may be going potty inside not to punish you, but to ask you to take her to the vet. Another UTI would be the first thing I would suspect, especially if she hasn’t been through her first heat. I would also have the vet run a fecal to rule out any sort of parasite/infection as the cause of the gassiness. No matter what the cause, excess intestinal gas can be as distressing for them as it is for us. If the fecal comes back negative, I would change her food. Sometimes, it takes some trial and error to find the one that works best for them.

Dogs don’t really do vindictive pooping (or peeing) the way cats do. Yes, there are behavioral issues that do result in house soiling, but typically, dogs have a different set of behaviors to indicate that they are fundamentally unhappy, or that their needs are not being met. Despite what the working dog people from before may say, Kit leads the life that most dogs dream of. Her behavior is not consistent with that of a dog who is unhappy with her life!

When Sebastian was Kit’s age, he had a hard time communicating to me that he needed to go potty. His signal for “Hey, Lady, take me outside”, was the same as his signal for “Hey, Lady, give me treats”, and “Hey, Lady, I want to pull the socks off of your feet/chew on you/play tug tug with your sleeve/take your hair out of that stupid ponytail.” Thankfully, he eventually outgrew the last category (for the most part), and I was able to teach him to differentiate between the first two. Chester has been with us for three years and is just now learning how to ask to go outside. I would recommend talking to some of the people you’ve worked with for Lucky’s SD training, and see if they know of a method of teaching her to communicate that she needs to go back out in a way that is effective for you.

I would also make it a point not to bring her in immediately after she goes potty. That teaches them that if they don’t go potty, the fun time doesn’t have to end.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I personally will never feed Blue Buffalo. When Missy was on it she always had an upset stomach, her poop was softer then normal and her gas would clear the house. She had three accidents while she was on it inside the house. Once I switched her food it all went back to normal for her. Now I did do a vet check in between that time because I was concerned and the vet told me her tests were normal and to follow my gut and switch her to a different food.

Now I let Missy enjoy the outside in the daytime as much as possible. Maybe Kit would benefit from more outside time.

snow0160`s Photos

I also believe it is the blue buffalo because she started having problems right around then. What do you feed your dogs? I used to do Acana but at $80 per bag it gets pretty pricey. I was looking for an alternative.

Sebastian also had issues with Blue Buffalo. He and Chester have been on the Merrick Grain-Free for about three years, now, and are thriving.
    I will say that my choice to feed Merrick is seen as a controversial one in some circles, so I make it a point not to talk about it places like Facebook. Roughly three years ago, not long after I switched the boys to Merrick, Purina invested a significant amount of money in the company, but left it individually run and managed. When the news broke, a lot of people freaked out, decided that Merrick had been “bought out” by Purina, and decided that the Purina investment made Merrick such a terrible brand that it would be better not to feed the dogs anything at all than to feed anything Purina had a hand in (they must have forgotten that Purina has a hand in many of the companies that make the food that they, themselves, eat, but whatever). Sebastian and Chester were doing so well on the Merrick that I decided to stick with it until I had any evidence of an actual drop in the quality of the food. That still hasn’t happened.
    My two have also done well on Holistic Select, but I don’t think they make a grain-free formula (if that is important to you).

snow0160`s Photos

Hey thanks for the response SB. Ironically, I'm up pretty late due to my own upset stomach. I might have to take myself to the doctors. Note to self: be more careful what you eat during holiday celebrations. I wsa just looking at Merrick grain free salmon. I like the sweet potato ingredient. I do know people are very wary about P&G's new acquisitions. I guess people assume they cut corners to boost markup and meet earnings but if you change too much of the food, customers will start leaving. The switching cost isn't very high. I will definitely give Merrick salmon a try because of your review. It seems like such a good idea. Thank you so much for your help.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

All of mine had significant GI upset on Blue Buffalo. In the end with Tyro's many sensitivities, we had to put him on a kangaroo-based food made by Zignature. Thank God he has a beloved Auntie that buys and sends it to him! The girls eat Earthborn Holistic since it was readily available in our location and has appropriate calcium level for large breed puppies.

Jewel`s Photos

I used Blue Buffalo once, when Bijou was a puppy. Bro was fine, but Bijou definitely did not agree with it.

I've tried different kibbles with Ren. For the more purse friendly choices, he's done well with Chewy's house brand, American Journey, and did fine with Horizon Legacy. I got the grain free salmon formula from each. His system also agreed with Natural Balance LID salmon but that's too low in protein for my liking - he also pooped huge piles on that food. I had Merrick in my rotation with Bro and Bijou but it wasn't a choice for Ren until he got older because Merrick is too high in calcium for puppies. I was going to get Ren Merrick this time around but decided to try Nature's Logic instead. Read good reviews about it. Well, that did not work for Ren... at all.

snow0160`s Photos

Merrick's third ingredient is sweet potato and this the reason why dogs do well on this food. I was thinking about adding pumpkin or sweet potato topper to Kit's food from Fruitables. We added probiotics last night and Kit did not have any accidents today. This might just be coincidence. We just purchased a small bag of Merrick Salmon from pet supermarket today. If this works, I'm switching to Merrick. I am truly thankful for the expertise of this forum esp on Blue Buffalo. Thank you guys.

I have to say that the Fruitables canned digestive supplements were a life-saver for us when Sebastian was a puppy. He loved the taste, and they really helped him.

Here’s to hoping that Kit does as well on the Merrick as my two have!