Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sores on dogs belly

Hi there, I just noticed that my 11 month old pup has some sores on his belly. He was neutered about 2 months ago and they shaved that area. They don’t seem to irritate him or cause him any pain when I touch them. He’s acting his normal self.. I’ll post a picture. Has anyone ever seen this before or know what it could be? Will be calling the vet first thing in the AM but wondering in the meantime what this could possibly be Click image for larger version. 

Name:	361A0463-6A02-407D-8729-60F3BE4AF591.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	9401

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Is it possible that he has fleas?

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Is it possible that he has fleas?
    I brought him into the vet today and they said itís just a bacterial skin infection of some sort. Maybe caused by moisture from the snow. Heís on antibiotics and is on the mend!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Thank you for letting us know the cause & results....glad he is on the mend

our Pyr used to sit outside in the snow when we lived in Alaska....if I didn't dry him very well, his back got so wet his fur would smell something awful...no sores, but had to be careful about odor & bacteria

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ABEB21 View Post
    I brought him into the vet today and they said itís just a bacterial skin infection of some sort. Maybe caused by moisture from the snow. Heís on antibiotics and is on the mend!
    That's good news!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABEB21 View Post
    Hi there, I just noticed that my 11 month old pup has some sores on his belly. He was neutered about 2 months ago and they shaved that area. They donít seem to irritate him or cause him any pain when I touch them. Heís acting his normal self.. Iíll post a picture. Has anyone ever seen this before or know what it could be? Will be calling the vet first thing in the AM but wondering in the meantime what this could possibly be Click image for larger version. 

Name:	361A0463-6A02-407D-8729-60F3BE4AF591.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	9401
    I'm happy to hear that your dog is on the mend

Since you mentioned snow, I wanted to ask you if you have ever tried booties or something to protect their paws. I know it sounds ridiculous, but a lot of the times that I go for a walk with my dog, I can tell that she gets uncomfortable after a while because the snow and the ice get stuck in her paws.

Thank you.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    I'm happy to hear that your dog is on the mend

Since you mentioned snow, I wanted to ask you if you have ever tried booties or something to protect their paws. I know it sounds ridiculous, but a lot of the times that I go for a walk with my dog, I can tell that she gets uncomfortable after a while because the snow and the ice get stuck in her paws.

Thank you.
    It doesnít sound ridiculous at all, I noticed the same. And me and my hubby were actually just talking about this the other day. We have 2 and we like to go for long walks in the bush.. I can tell my female gets uncomfortable for that reason too and after our walks sheís always chewing at her paws to get the ice off thatís stuck between. We havenít tried booties but we definitely want to find something to resolve the issue as well. Let me know if you find a solution and Iíll do the same!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

when we lived in Alaska, I tried putting booties on my Pyr's.....the back paws are extremely difficult to get a good tight fit on.....so my Pyr's would find the deepest snow possible, get those booties nice & stuck....and then proceed to walk out of the snow minus the booties!! And for some reason we never found them again in the Spring melt off...?!

My suggestion...try Mushers Secret Paw wax, it's what I used & seemed to help with the ice ball build up between the pads & the toes...the ice build up on the legs...well, that never seemed to bother them too much.

I've also heard that Bag Balm helps, but I have not tried that product for ice build up

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Mushers Secret Paw wax
    THANK YOU.

I've done some research and it has very good reviews. It's made of natural wax and people say that they use it with sledding dogs. It seems that the wax provides protection in extreme conditions such as ice and snow. And it's not terribly expensive ($17). I just ordered some, so I will be able to give you guys (ABEB21) a review soon.

This morning my poor Pippa was stopping every 5 minutes or so to chew on the snow stuck in her paws. I hope this wax helps.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    THANK YOU.

I've done some research and it has very good reviews. It's made of natural wax and people say that they use it with sledding dogs. It seems that the wax provides protection in extreme conditions such as ice and snow. And it's not terribly expensive ($17). I just ordered some, so I will be able to give you guys (ABEB21) a review soon.

This morning my poor Pippa was stopping every 5 minutes or so to chew on the snow stuck in her paws. I hope this wax helps.
    No experience using it in snow here in AZ but Musher's Secret is used often to keep Ru's paws soft enough so they don't crack. The dryness and rough terrain are very hard on their paws. This has been the best thing we've found to keep the paws soft enough to prevent cracking without making them so soften they are more prone to injury... Hope it helps with the snow balls between the toes!