Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Update on Secret Paw wax:

Pippa seems to walk a lot more confortable in the snow because the wax prevents ice to build up between the pads and the toes . Very happy with this purchase.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Yay!!!

thanks for the feed back!

Puppy (New Member)

Hi from Calgary,
    My dog Oliver is 3 years old , we rescued him a year ago. He has the same rash and sores and we have been trying for a year to find what is causing this. I was told the same as you (snow or food allergieS ) and he was put on medication. It goes away for a week and then returns. He has now developed ear infection that they say might be caused by the allergies.We put him on probiotics to see if that would help , but no still breaking out. Vet put him on Viaderm KC creme but not resolving the issue, clears a bit then flairs up again. He was given antibiotics and it cleared it somewhat but I am again taking him to the vet today as he is shaking his head a lot. We were told to try different dog food and we have transitioned him on three different dog foods , with no luck. The vet(s) I have gone to two separate ones to try to resolve this and nothing. We do not give him any snacks at all, and we have tried Acana, First Mate, and now we are going to transition to Limited ingredients Blue to see if that works. We have put him on probiotics, without success. We are at our wits end trying to find a cure. We are both seniors and the cost of visits, blood work, lab results and medication is getting extremely expensive. If anyone has seen this before and has a solution that may help we would appreciate the information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3128.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	9521  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome keeney & Oliver....so sad to read about his on going problem

sounds like your vet is trying all that they can figure out. You mention lab results....from? Did your vet take scrapings of the infected area? What has been ruled out?

It almost sounds like you have to limit his intake of certain ingredients, it does indeed sound like an allergy of some sort...but to what....that is what you are going to have to determine.

Never having had this problem, I am not sure what to tell you to cut out of his ingredients right now...

Hoping to keep this post at the fore front in hopes that others who may have had this problem will be able to answer your questions

just a question...where does Oliver sleep...inside or outside? could it be insect bites?
    also....in regards to his ears, is there anything in his ear....red, soreness, bad odor?

Puppy (New Member)

Hello
    The vet ran some preliminary tests as Oliver had horrible diarrhea for 2 months, the test ruled out a bacterial infection, so I originally feed him chicken and rice for 3 weeks to get his stomach and intestines to calm down. He did have the sores on his belly but that was the least of our problems at the time. I believe the diarrhea was caused from stress from being placed in a rescue situation. Once I fond that his stools were firm and tested negative for any bacteria issue I found a dog food that he could tolerate. it was for senior dogs but we kept hm on it for 2 months to stabilize him and it seem to work, the sores were almost gone. We changed his food as he was losing weight and we had no problems with his stools, but the sores came back. We thought it was an allergy so we change his dog food twice. The vet told me yesterday that their can be a thousand reason why he is breaking out and that we may never know the why. His ear infection he believes is being caused from allergies but from what we do not know either. Oliver sleeps inside, I do not let him stay outside at this point. I today added supplements to his daily routine along with the probiotics. I had been using a cleaner or his ears but since the flair up he will let me clean but not put the liquid in his ears, They packed his ears with antibiotics and we will return in two weeks and do again to make sure that they have cleared up. The vet wants to put him on steroids after this, not happy with using steroids daily but will decide that after we get his ears cleared and the sores gone. It is very dry in Calgary and the vet states the sores are not from bugs or fleas. I have another dog and he has no issues what so ever so I am ruling out environmental.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by keeney View Post
    I found a dog food that he could tolerate. it was for senior dogs but we kept hm on it for 2 months to stabilize him and it seem to work, the sores were almost gone. We changed his food as he was losing weight and we had no problems with his stools, but the sores came back. We thought it was an allergy so we change his dog food twice.
    What was that senior food? You should start from there. Look up the ingredients of that senior food, then find one that has the closest match of ingredients and guaranteed analysis levels but with more calories. ''

Food allergies could be to the type of meat, could be a particular type of grain, or could be a particular ingredient in kibbles. So it's not like you can just change a brand of food. Figuring out what the dog is reacting to can be a long painful process.

My first pyr had bad allergy issues. We believe we spent about $1200 a year in vet bills because of her allergies. She had ear infections and skin sores - her sores looked like your pictures and hers were staph infections. My dog could not tolerate red meat. Give her red meat and it was guaranteed staph breaking out within 24 hours. She was also VERY reactive to oats. Couldn't eat it, couldn't touch it. Oatmeal shampoo turned her skin lobster red and her fur fell out in clumps. So she was fed chicken and turkey.

Of course it would be my luck that my next pyr girl, Bijou, did not tolerate chicken. Bijou had digestive issues so I fed her chicken and rice - took me way too long to get it through my thick skull that the chicken was actually making her sick. Bijou actually sort of outgrew the chicken intolerance as she got older. She was ok so long as she ate chicken

I am not a fan of steroids. But I understand the necessity in severe cases. But steroids is not a solution for dogs with food allergies if it is continuously ingesting the allergens.

Puppy (New Member)

I have been away , but thank you for your replies. Did your Pyr finally clear up his ear infections and sores?
    Oliver was given antibiotics for his ears early March. We took him back for a recheck two weeks ago and it was still infected so we put the ointment into his ears again for two weeks. Went yesterday and one ear is clear but the other still had antibiotic in it and we will know later next week if this round of antibiotics have cleared his infection. His sores on his belly are less but not gone. If the infection returns then he wants to do a general Panel with T4 and allergy testing spectrum for (1) Environmental (2) Food. He is tolerating his new food and the vet does not believe it is food allergies, but want to do the testing anyways.
    Depending on what comes back from these he then will put him on steroids and do blood work every four months to insure their are no complications from being on the steroids. I am so confused as to what to do for Oliver. The estimate for the the testing and injections and other drugs that he wants to try are well over $1800.00 and that does not cover the vets cost for each visit and any cost from complications for him being put on Cytopoint, Apoquel and Vanectyyl-p. (these are the names of the injections and drugs. He states their can be complications as their is with any drugs. Anyone having similar issues please let me know what was done. Appreciate all the replies from everyone.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by keeney View Post
    for him being put on Cytopoint, Apoquel and Vanectyyl-p.
    Are you saying your vet is using ALL of these at the same time????

Look, the bottom line is NONE of those drugs is actually fixing the cause of your dog's problems. Those are all drugs that relieve symptoms, not treating real cause of the problem.

What is it that you are feeding your dog? Is there a reason why you won't disclose the brand of food you are feeding? Having dealt with one dog with serious allergies and two others with food intolerances, and I believe others who have dealt with allergy dogs would agree with me, what you feed can be crucial in dealing with the problems.

Starting at 3 months, my pup developed the itchies. It got pretty bad that he was chewing himself bald in places. I wasn't sure whether it was food or environmental allergies. My vet gave me Apoquel to use if I wanted. I used it a few times just to provide relief, but I had no intentions to keep him on that med. I had a feeling that he was suffering from yeast overgrowth on his skin. So I cut out his carb intake and bathed him weekly and applied apple cider vinegar after each bath. After 6 weeks the itchies went away. I am not suggesting this is your dog's issue, but I am saying that if you can find the root cause of the itchies and deal with that, you may eliminate medication altogether.

As you don't have any experience dealing with allergies, it might be that you need to do the allergy tests. But I would suggest you start with telling us what you've been feeding him so that we may give collective thoughts on whether the food might be an issue.

Has he been tested for mange? Another member had posted asking about allergies, but it turned out her dog had mange.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Oliver

He is on Acana Grass fed Lamb at the present time, He was on First Mate Senior Dog food. fish but was losing weight as not enough calories for him and the sores were still present. Originally on Science Diet it did stop the diarrhea but did not like the ingredients.No he is not on all the drugs at the same time. They will start on injections and then Apoquel . The Vet does not think it is a food allergy as it has cleared up, but still returned. He believes that it would not of cleared up and then returned as he was still on the same dog food during the time is cleared and then returned.
    I will do the allergy tests for food anyways just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Are you saying your vet is using ALL of these at the same time????

Look, the bottom line is NONE of those drugs is actually fixing the cause of your dog's problems. Those are all drugs that relieve symptoms, not treating real cause of the problem.

What is it that you are feeding your dog? Is there a reason why you won't disclose the brand of food you are feeding? Having dealt with one dog with serious allergies and two others with food intolerances, and I believe others who have dealt with allergy dogs would agree with me, what you feed can be crucial in dealing with the problems.

Starting at 3 months, my pup developed the itchies. It got pretty bad that he was chewing himself bald in places. I wasn't sure whether it was food or environmental allergies. My vet gave me Apoquel to use if I wanted. I used it a few times just to provide relief, but I had no intentions to keep him on that med. I had a feeling that he was suffering from yeast overgrowth on his skin. So I cut out his carb intake and bathed him weekly and applied apple cider vinegar after each bath. After 6 weeks the itchies went away. I am not suggesting this is your dog's issue, but I am saying that if you can find the root cause of the itchies and deal with that, you may eliminate medication altogether.

As you don't have any experience dealing with allergies, it might be that you need to do the allergy tests. But I would suggest you start with telling us what you've been feeding him so that we may give collective thoughts on whether the food might be an issue.

Has he been tested for mange? Another member had posted asking about allergies, but it turned out her dog had mange.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

By any chance, have you and your vet explored the possibility of a fungal infection? It looks like the lesions on his belly could possibly be ringworm, maybe with a secondary infection. That could explain why the lesions never fully responded to the numerous treatments.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian