Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 1 year pyr aggression

I have a question I have a 1 year old male pyr who is fix, and and a female and male border collie 5&4 years old both fixed, my pyr attacks the male border collie in the House,mostly in the kitchen and sitting room, they play together outside and the pyr let him dominate they walk well together on the leash,he shows no aggression to any other dogs can this be fixed because it is getting worse.He comes from working off parents.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

Iím so sorry to hear that you are having this problem with your two boys. Is there anything you can think of that might be triggering your Pyrís behavior?
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

I was thinking it might be some kind of resource guarding but the other day my border collie jump off the chair near my pyr who was lying down and he went after him.My adult daughter was sitting on the floor playing with my collie and my pyr didn't like it and went after him again,there is never any damage done because I pull him back but he still growls for about 20 seconds.Now if I'm petting the pyr and the collie walks close he goes after him,it only happens inside the house.When we are at the park he loves all the other dogs there,a few dogs have snapped at him usually smaller ones and he doesn't do any thing.He comes from a goat farm,and unfortunately we have to send him back which is breaking my heart because we had him since 8 weeks old and he is super affectionate with us.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Without being there to see what is going on, itís hard to tell what is motivating your Pyrís behavior.

If itís possible, I would recommend contacting someone on either of these two lists to see if they can help you figure out what is going on and how to treat it:

http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

http://www.animalbehaviorsociety.org...-directory.php

In the meantime, I would also recommend keeping a detailed journal of these episodes. Sometimes this type of behavior can be prompted by very unexpected things. Keeping a journal might be able to help establish some sort of pattern to your dogís behavior, which could make it (somewhat) easier to treat.

Sending lots of good energy that you can get this figured out soon! Please keep us posted!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member)

Our experience is that there is a trigger. We have a 3 year old rescue female Ellie who has food aggression. Easy to solve that one, her dish is shielded by a kitchen Island while she eats and if she wants to come and get the food of our 1 year old much bigger male Pyr, or our Golden, I shoo her back and she obeys.

We have a hyper, jealous, obsessive compulsive Golden Retriever who I did not trust near our barn kitten acquisitions. Ellie did not trust him either and went after him when he got too close to the kittens. When Achilles, our male Pyr was a puppy, the Golden attacked him too and Ellie would body slam him to the ground. Consequently Achilles did not suffer much abuse as Ellie protected him, and he has developed a great temperament. At a party, the Golden Retriever, who likes children, was playing with a child and Ellie got concerned and attacked him to get him away from the child. Fortunately the parents know dogs and understood what went on. Great Pyrenees don't get aggressive without a reason, and you need to figure that out to determine if you really have a problem, and if there is an obvious fix. I am no expert, but I am learning.