Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Puppy's legs go stiff

Hello all! This is my first post, thank you in advance for any information!

We have a 12 week old half french great pyrenees, half american great pyrenees. Since day 1 she gets stiff legs and sometimes falls over or looses her balance when this happens. It seems to only happen when she's in an exciting situation. She'll get excited, her legs go stiff and she has difficulty staying upright, sometimes she'll urinate while this happens. Once she calms down it disappears and she's just fine. I almost feel like when she does this that she looks like the other great pyrenees that we know when they're defending themselves. Like when they hunch up and make themselves look big... only she can't walk well when she's displaying this behavior and she's content and happy. Maybe it's because she's still so young? She looks like a fainting goat. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome! We've sent videos of her doing this to our vet, and have an appointment with her next week, but I'd love to hear from some experienced owners as well. Thank you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

I donít want to scare you, but it sounds like she may be having seizures. I would talk to your vet. If you can keep a journal of the times and circumstances of these episodes, that will be very helpful. I would be as detailed as possible, to see if you can establish what may be triggering these episodes. If you can also get video of her doing this, even better.

Here is a pretty informative article I recently came across for a different member:
    https://canna-pet.com/types-dog-seizures/

The good news is that epileptic seizures tend to be more easily controlled in dogs whose symptoms present early.

Sending lots of good energy to you and your sweet girl. Please let us know what your vet says.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Does sound like it could be seizures. 2-3 month old pups aren't very coordinated so they can trip over their own feet. But legs going stiff doesn't sound normal.

We would be interested to know what your vet says.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Idahotinkerbell & pup...

has your vet commented on the video you sent?

have not had this happen with any of our Pyrs....as the rest say...would love to hear what the diagnosis of this is

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for your feedback! It's very appreciated. I haven't heard back from our vet yet. Her appointment isn't until Friday. After reading the suggested link I did see on there that a hunched up back could be a sign of a seizure, the only thing is that she's in complete control of the front half of her body when she has an "episode." She does sometimes urinate, but that's only happened a handful of times and may be a coincidence . I'm trying to take this one step at a time since we adopted her as a service dog for our 7 y/o son. Maybe we'll need to help her as much as we need her to help us. In the meantime, I'm teaching her to lay down when she has an episode and trying to calm her through it. Any other thoughts or opinions appreciated! Thank you

Here is a video of a dog with a condition called myotonia. Please note that I did not unmute the video when I watched it, so I will apologize in advance if it features any foul language. I chose this one because it shows multiple episodes of myotonia in the little brown and white dog.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdGR6Zt1D80

This is the same condition that the fainting goats have. If present at birth, it is called myotonia congenita.

From what I understand, there is treatment available that can help to reduce the symptoms, but it is not curable.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all for your responses so far. We did a full blood workup (which showed a few low levels, one being protein: she wasn't able to be nursed very long because her mother dog got mastitis so severely she needed two surgeries), her urinalysis showed white blood cells and crystals (could be a slight bladder infection, but we've started her on an antibiotic that crosses the blood brain barrier to rule out Meningitis as well. I'm cautiously encouraged that her head nodding seems to be significantly improved over the past 24 hours since she started her antibiotics).

The other odd behavior that she shows (the leg tightening and back arching in exciting situations) could be a multitude of things. She passed her neuro evaluation at the vets, but she said that really didn't mean much. She could have water on the brain. She could have something along her spine that's tight and will loosen as she grows allowing better nerve function (evidently this is very common). We could run a multitude of tests, and still not know.

We've had to cancel our last class of puppy school though, or at least postpone it for a month or so if she improves. We're under vet's orders to try and keep her calm over the next month. No more service dog training, just focusing on keeping her calm. The puppy class is too stimulating for her, even with no physical contact between her and others. So are most outings and new walking paths. We love her dearly- she'll help as much as she can, and we'll do the same. In a very special way I feel like our puppy having these issues has helped our son better relate to her. They're buddies, buddies help each other

Quote Originally Posted by Idahotinkerbell View Post
    In a very special way I feel like our puppy having these issues has helped our son better relate to her. They're buddies, buddies help each other
    If you havenít already, you might be interested in reading the book ďHaatchi and Little BĒ. Itís the story of how Haatchi, an Anatolian Shepherd with special needs, and his best friend, Owen, a little boy with special needs, have helped each other. Be prepared for lots of happy crying.

I canít imagine how stressful all of this must be for you and your family. I am sending lots of love and good energy in the hopes that whatever is going on with your sweet girl will resolve with no lasting effects.