Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Nail Clipping Party at Our House!

To those of you who donít know Sebastian and Chester, please forgive me, as you really wonít get what the big deal here is.

Now, for the rest of you, I did it! I clipped all of their nails - each and every nail on both dogs - in under an hour. This has happened exactly 0 times before.

Tonight, I got a wild idea, and took two dogs, the nail clippers, some styptic gel, and a bag of their favorite training treats into the bedroom and closed the door. I started with Chester, and every time I clipped a nail, he got lots of praise and a treat. Sebastian saw this, and decided that he wanted to play, but he wasnít quite ready to hand over a paw. I continued with Chester until there were no more nails to clip.

By that point, Sebastian was lying on the bed. I seized the opportunity. Clip, treat. Clip, treat. After the third treat or so, he even stopped fighting me.

I made it a point not to take off too much nail, because I didnít want to run the risk of Quicking one and ruining the fun. I am going to try to make this a weekly game with different jackpot treats. I think next weekís treat is going to be brisket.

I am seriously proud of these dogs right now. Nail clipping may not be a big deal at a lot of houses, but it is huge for us!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Way to go! Turn everything into a positive experience and they are more cooperative. Maybe one day you will get to dremel their nails.

Thank you, Tsunibear! I hope to work up to using the dremel on them one day. I think if they just give it a chance, they will learn to hate it less than they hate the nail clippers.

They have both been pretty cooperative lately, which has been really really nice. I think they know that Santa is starting to make the final decisions on who makes this yearís Nice list!

Iím really proud of both of them.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Yay!!!! Nail clipping is not fun at my house either. Maybe I will try this

Puppy (New Member)

AWESOME!! I know just how difficult that is. I have Squirrel and Vinca, two six-month old puppies, and they hate nail clipping time.

Jewel`s Photos

That is totally awesome serious breakthrough!!!!

Chester deserves huge credit for having made such incredible progress with his anxiety that he was the one who convinced Sebastian that nail clipper is no monster!!

WTG boys!!

Thank you so much, everyone!

I am proud of both of them, but especially Chester (donít tell Sebastian I said that). Earlier this year, he would take off running at the sight of the nail clippers, and wouldnít let me get near him. I worked on getting him to come to me when I had the clippers close to me, and then when I had them in my hand. Once we got through his front paws last night, I was able to do his hind paws by getting him to lie down, rubbing his belly a little, clipping a nail, and then rewarding him. This time last year, I never would have dreamed that possible.

Tonight, I am going to work on handling their paws in exchange for treats, as that seems to be the worst part for Sebastian.

I am lucky to have two such good boys!

So, tonight, I decided to work with Chester again, and I quicked one of his nails. My house now looks like the scene of a grisly crime, and Chester is not at all happy with me, despite the immediate administration of emergency treats and remedial training. The look on his face is enough to break even the coldest heart.

On the bright side, we both survived the worst thing that could happen. Yes, it was bloody and awful, and yes, it will take some time to re-earn his trust, but we lived - and I know to avoid doing it again like the plague.

Tomorrow, I will don a disguise and get some Preparation H to try and shrink the quicks on the rest of his nails. Judging from the reviews, the clippers that are supposed to tell you when youíre about to hit the quick in black nails are not at all reliable.

Next time I will use brisket as training treats. Hopefully, he will have forgiven me by then!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Black nails are tricky. Some of them look completely black from the top but, if you look at them on the side in light they are lighter. Then there are the black, black ones...those can be a pain and I always tell people to take a little off at a time and when you cut them there is a chalky texture and when that texture goes away you know that you are getting closer to the quick.

Also those nail clippers are a joke. My Mom bought a pair and they are awful as clippers and a worse quick finder. I got a straw and put a metal ball into and sealed it. They registered I was too close to the quick on a straw because of the metal ball. So basically they react to the iron in the blood and that's how they alert you well if your dog has some iron or metal residue on their feet they will be off.

Thank you, Tsunibear! Chester has forgiven me, but I still feel bad. Iím giving him tonight to forget what happened, then tomorrow, we will work on paw handling with some shredded beef I got at the store.

Fingers crossed that we can rebuild trust quickly!