Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One more issue!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Default One more issue!

It seems to me that with Apollo if its not one thing its a dozen! Same with Roxy. Not sure what has happened, but all of a sudden Roxy is horribly itchy, like ALL THE TIME!!!! Her belly seems to be a big issue, and she is constantly itching. It's not flea's, she is treated for those, and Apollo is not itchy, so its something unique to her. Apollo's issue is matting. Now I will admit, I do not pay as much attention to his coat as I should, but it seems like mats are popping up practically overnight. I really need to bath him but with the mats I can't. So in an endeavor to help get him mat free and her itch free I bought a product called Cowboy Magic, its actually for horses, but it had great reviews from people using it on dogs and it is supposed to help both itching and matting with the added bonus of shine and smell good.

So now I need to find out is there a shampoo and conditioner that will help keep him from getting these mats? I have not seen the vet about Roxies itching yet, we have added coconut oil to their food and went back to limited ingredient first to see if maybe It is an allergy type issue. I am leaning towards an Oatmeal and aloe shampoo as I know it will help with Roxies constant digging at herself, but not so sure its what Apollo needs to help me keep the mats off him. For reference I am using a double undercoat rake, The teal colored flexible slicker from master grooming tools and a short mat remover from safari, all of which have been suggested here before. I hate to even admit this but I have only been brushing them about once a month and have decided that once a week would be far better considering my current problem. I used the cowboy magic today, Roxy so far is not constantly itching and I did manage to get most of the mats off Apollo, however he had had enough of the grooming and I decided to give him a break and will work on the last mat more a little later on.

He doesn't much like baths, brushing or raking so I do have to be somewhat careful considering his bad attitude. He snapped at me pretty bad a few months ago over being brushed so now I watch for ques and stop before he gets to that point.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Christi, Slightly off topic but have you considered muzzle training for Apollo? I know muzzles sound bad but it has made a huge difference for us in being able to manage Tyro when it comes to things he doesn't like or things that hurt. I went through considerable effort to train him to have positive associations with his muzzle and he will happily wear it anytime I bring it out. He holds up his nose so I can put it on. It gives me the peace of mind I need to not have to worry about him feeling like he might need to defend himself with his teeth. It has helped tremendously in our relationship since I am not afraid and he is not having to threaten me with growling, etc. I always thought muzzles seemed a slightly inhumane thing to resort to but have totally changed my mind seeing what it does for me and Tyro. He's never bitten me, but we had a close enough call that I never want to find out if he actually would if pushed past the breaking point...

As for Roxie, what's the weather like where you are? Is she lying anywhere different than usual? Piles of leave, grass, etc? Pippy would get a bright red belly from her grass allergy and would itch non-stop in the Spring and Fall. Fall seemed worse. Once it would freeze, she would not have a problem anymore. We managed it with frequent wiping down with wet rag, putting down towels and blankets for her to lie on and allergy supplements.

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Christi, Slightly off topic but have you considered muzzle training for Apollo? I know muzzles sound bad but it has made a huge difference for us in being able to manage Tyro when it comes to things he doesn't like or things that hurt. I went through considerable effort to train him to have positive associations with his muzzle and he will happily wear it anytime I bring it out. He holds up his nose so I can put it on. It gives me the peace of mind I need to not have to worry about him feeling like he might need to defend himself with his teeth. It has helped tremendously in our relationship since I am not afraid and he is not having to threaten me with growling, etc. I always thought muzzles seemed a slightly inhumane thing to resort to but have totally changed my mind seeing what it does for me and Tyro. He's never bitten me, but we had a close enough call that I never want to find out if he actually would if pushed past the breaking point...

As for Roxie, what's the weather like where you are? Is she lying anywhere different than usual? Piles of leave, grass, etc? Pippy would get a bright red belly from her grass allergy and would itch non-stop in the Spring and Fall. Fall seemed worse. Once it would freeze, she would not have a problem anymore. We managed it with frequent wiping down with wet rag, putting down towels and blankets for her to lie on and allergy supplements.
    Ya know I get really nervous about his muzzle, I need to get a different one because it is really close to his eyes and when he oves around I am afraid that he will hurt them. And I am really unsure how to make him like it. I had considered getting him a soft one, because I have at times used his leash to wrap around his snout in an emergency and he didn't seem to mind that. What I have now is a cage muzzle and I just don't care for it. But it does allow him to pant which I know is important. Which Muzzle do you like? I may look into getting one I am more comfortable with.

Christi`s Photos

As to Roxie, I am not sure that is it. She lays in the yard but its never been an issue before. The only thing I can think that may have changed, is she is fond of laying on the furniture and we cover the chairs and couch with blankets and have recently changed laundry soap. So that could explain that issue. My first reaction was to go to the limited ingredient food again, which I bounce back to often just in case. Nothing else has changed other than the laundry soap.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am so sorry Roxy is so itchy right now. I do have two thoughts:

1) Allergies can pop up suddenly and without much warning. I developed a bad allergy to nickel in my mid-20ís, and had to stop wearing belts and all costume jewelry, otherwise, I would break out in massive hives. When I got new jeans, I had to paint over the inside of the button with nail polish to keep it from contacting my skin.

2) You may be on to something with the laundry detergent. My sister was allergic to one particular brand when she was in college. It gave her itchy welts that disappeared when she changed detergents. That may be a good place to start.

As for Apollo, well, hopefully Tsuni will be here soon for advice. I seriously need to win the lottery and buy her a rockstar tour bus!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Change you laundry soap first!! I say this as a person who has extreme allergies. I am only allowed to use one type of laundry soap. If someone comes to my house and does a load of laundry with a different soap they have to run the washer machine empty before you can even put any of my laundry in it because if any of the residue is left behind I will break out in hives...hives that bleed and puss. I am a hot allergy mess. Give that girl a benadryl though to help because it does help and being itchy is horrible.

As for the muzzle I bought one that I love it's a mix of a box muzzle and a soft muzzle so hey can open their mouths and breath but, it's soft. I accidentally bought it...meaning I ordered the set, but only got the x-large and I will never need to use it on Missy but, I keep it just in case.

Now for the matting let me tell you something. If I didn't have to get a dog done in three hours or less there would be no way I would rush the brush out process. When I was little my Mom would do crazy stuff with my hair because it was long and straight. She would make it look like a spider web across my head and what not. Now with those crazy hair dos came tangles. Brushing those tangles out hurt so much. So we learned to do them gradually. So half of my head would get done and then give me a rest for an hour or so and do the other half. Now Apollo is bigger then my head and covered in hair my recommendation is spend an half hour a day brushing him out. Yes it will take longer but, think of it like this once you get it all out it should only take you 15 minutes a day if that to make sure he stays tangle free. I brush Missy so often that it only takes 5 minutes to brush her out completely because there is no undercoat or anything to cause tangles when she is brushed that often. Moral of the story no one wants to be tugged at all day...we all get tired of it, but if we break it down it becomes bearable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Guard-826...625Q1H1RMFRQQ3

Christi`s Photos

Ya know I didn't even think about benedryl. Bad Mommy!! It is driving me nuts, and it has to be worse for her. I am pretty sensitive with laundry soaps myself, and the new stuff is all organic but it has Lavender and Blue Eucalyptus in it. I am willing to bet its the eucalyptus. I use lavender on them all the time for stress and she has never had this issue before. So back to the unscented stuff because I feel really bad for her.

And I just ordered that muzzle, that doesn't look like it will get up on his eyes the way the one I have does. He tolerates brushing for a while, probably longer than 30 minutes. What I have noticed is when he starts moving his legs around and making a huffing noise he has had enough so he gets a good treat and I stop. Bathing is when I need the muzzle, not sure if he would bite me, but he is generally crappy enough with the snapping and snarling that my fear is he will bite me even of he doesn't mean to. He has snapped at me or Tommy a few times, and every time I swear he could have actually bit, but didn't. I would like to think he does have bite inhibition but I am just not willing to take that chance. So I will take your advice, do short little sessions and get this worked out so he can get his bath.

Tsunibear`s Photos

I was bit by a husky that week that hates baths but, I hadn't seen her in a year she was extremely matted and I couldn't save her coat which broke my heart and she was soaked in her own urine and crap so she had no choice. She was so kind to bite the spot where I have scar tissue so it hurt like hell and to be honest I wasn't sure if she was aiming for me or the nozzle. A lot of dogs don't like being forced to do things unfortunately and baths are things they don't like to do. That muzzle should help and it doesn't go near the eyes on Missy I have put it on her once just to see how it fit just in case I ever needed it.

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    I was bit by a husky that week that hates baths but, I hadn't seen her in a year she was extremely matted and I couldn't save her coat which broke my heart and she was soaked in her own urine and crap so she had no choice. She was so kind to bite the spot where I have scar tissue so it hurt like hell and to be honest I wasn't sure if she was aiming for me or the nozzle. A lot of dogs don't like being forced to do things unfortunately and baths are things they don't like to do. That muzzle should help and it doesn't go near the eyes on Missy I have put it on her once just to see how it fit just in case I ever needed it.
    Yeah, that is what I am talking about, I don't think he would actually bite, but I can see where he could try and airsnap and manage to get me. Rather just muzzle him and not worry. I brushed him twice yesterday, he likes it till I get to a mat. I noticed he has one right under his tail that is pretty tight. I rubbed the cowboy magic into it last night and this morning I was able to use the mat breaker and cut it into about 3 smaller ones. I have just one small one left there, and a fairly large one on the back of his leg. That one is going to be hard. I used the thingy to cut them, but its not going all the way through yet. I am kind of thinking about using scissors not to cut it off, but to cut into it so they are smaller and easier to work with. When Tommy is off again we are going to do his privy shave, I am hoping to have the mats off by then. I did have a question about that, we generally shave around his thingy, and back to where his dangley bits used to be, can I go all the way to his tail? It seems to me that the mats under his tail seem to be the ones that get really tight, and he really doesn't like that area to be messed with. But I have never ventured that far with the clippers and wanted your opinion first. I like to bathe him after shaving so anything that may be itchy gets a nice layer of conditioning.

I gave Roxy a benedryl, and rubbed some aloe onto her belly. She has a couple of small sores, but they are not icky. Had kinda hard scabs. She is slightly red, but nothing excessive. All the blankets have been washed so I am hoping we can fix the itching. I have benedryl creme but was kinda worried about using it in case she licks it so stuck with aloe. Just in case they are going to stay on the limited ingredient food just to eliminate that from my list of things to be concerned with. At least until I can fix what is bugging her.

Tsunibear`s Photos

He isn't being shown so shave all the way to the back. Just like if you shave around his butthole you can meet up there and you will have less tangles. The hair does grow back just fine in those areas so you don't have to worry about that. I say go for it and make your life easier.