Thread: Weight

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Weight

I have two 6 month old puppies and I'm worried because they are very skinny looking. I feed them plenty and they have a clean bill of health from the vet. Can anyone tell me why they are so skinny?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Well first welcome to the forums, second a lean Pyr is preferable to a chunky one especially when they are still growing. Third, what kind of food are you feeding them? A lot of foods that are marketed as healthy, balanced and high quality are not. And what do you mean skinny? Can you count each rib? Can you feel spine, and hips? Basically the best body condition for a Pyr is to be able to feel ribs, but not the space between them. Lightly pressing you should be able to feel the hips. Have they been wormed? Up to date on shots?
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

You can look for the food you feed them on that and look it up and they will tell you what is in it, the nutritional content and how many stars it gets based on several factors. The key is to look for the best food you can afford.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I agree with everything Christi has said, and just wanted to add that as long as they are active and playful, eating and drinking normally, and your vet isnít concerned, they should be okay. As they grow, they can go through some pretty gangly awkward phases.

Keeping them on the lean side as they grow will help them avoid major problems down the road.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian