Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aggresion

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Baileyandkids`s Photos

She may have even thought I was just getting rid of him because of hip problems. I have torn myself inside out the last few weeks going over every single thing that happened. I wish my experience had gone differently because what she does is a wonderful thing. She rescues dogs from all over the world. A big part of me wishes she was wrong but maybe she is right. I wish I could have waited to see if it ever happened again but it's just to big of a risk with babies in the house. I dread what his new owners think. If they ever read this, I hope they know he was well cared for and very much loved.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I don’t care how many dogs that woman saves. She had no right to judge you and treat you with such cruelty. I am sickened to think of you being treated that way - on a day that would have been awful for you regardless. I am so very very very sorry that that happened to you, and am sending big big hugs to you. People like that truly give rescue a bad name.

Even if you had considered euthanizing him, you didn’t. You spent a small fortune to surrender him to her organization. She had him for what, two weeks? So, between your surrender fee and his new adopter’s adoption fee, it appears that she made quite a tidy profit off of him, even before you count the orthopedic bed. I just hope that Bailey’s new adopters were made fully aware of his special needs.

If it makes you feel any better, this lady would totally hate me, too. This time last year, Chester was having severe anxiety issues that lead my vet to sit me down for the dreaded “quality of life” discussion. The biggest reason that he is here today is that we were incredibly fortunate to find the right Behaviorist with the right techniques to help him. I have to say that it was one of the darkest times of my life. I still tear up when I think about it.

Your love for Bailey was apparent from the first conversation I had with you. I feel sorry for that lady that she was too far up on her high-horse to see it. She could have learned something.

Sending you much love and healing energy.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I don't know why she had to treat you that way...but as SebastiansMom says....you did everything in your control to help him and made a very difficult decision so that he had the best chance in finding a good home for him.

We weren't there, so we couldn't help you...but please know that we don't judge you and we stand by your decision...and I send a hug your way & hope that it can take some of the hurt away

Jewel`s Photos

I am very sorry that the lady's attitude toward you was not friendly. But look at it a different way. People like her are the ones that can carry on doing the things she does. They are not always easy to deal with but they are necessary. I can say that as much as I love dogs, I do not have the courage and dedication to do what she does.

You weren't there for you, you were there for Bailey. The one and only objective for your being there was to make sure Bailey has the best chance for a new life where he won't be a threat to children and then in turn threaten his own life. You weren't there to make friends with this lady. Whatever she thinks of you is irrelevant so long as Bailey is taken care of.

To be double, triple clear, you made the right choice in your situation. As I said before, I returned a dog to rescue last year. I felt bad about returning him, but that doesn't compare to the guilt I continue to feel, and feel deeply, for making the last months of Bro's life a fearful time for him. I do not wish that guilt on anyone.

I couldn't agree more with the last posts. I second, triple, quadruple what other people said about doing the right thing with Bailey. I hope that you can find a dog that fits your family needs right now because I can tell that you have so much love to give. Any dog would be so lucky to have you as your momma.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) FourAtThree's Avatar

I am truly sorry for your suffering. I have never had to make the heart wrenching decision you had to make, but I understand the profound sadness you feel from losing someone you loved dearly.

I am reluctant to admit that I once behaved like the woman at the rescue.

I lost my first female GSD to cancer at the tender age of 8.5 years in March of 2009. One day she was a bit lethargic and 32 days later she was gone, despite all my best efforts to save her. I literally felt my heart shatter into a million pieces the morning of March 16 when I had to bid her farewell.

In my grief I became determined to save another senior because I couldn't save mine. Within a short time I learned of Haley, a nine year old GSD seeing eye dog who, until recently, had lived with her owner in a neighboring state. Haley's owner had purchased a younger guide dog and decided to euthanize Haley because she felt Haley was too old to perform her duties. At the time Haley was in good health so her vet joined forces with a local shelter to find her a foster home. I adopted Haley on April 13, 2009.

It quickly became apparent to me that Haley's transition from working dog to family pet would be ripe with many challenges I had not considered. As my frustration grew with Haley's transition so did my feelings of outrage and bitterness toward her former owner. It wasn't until the end of her first month with us that I finally realized I was wrong - completely and totally wrong - to have judged Haley's former owner. I told myself that I had no clue what it was to be blind and have to depend upon a guide dog to live my daily life. I had no knowledge of the woman's living situation or her financial situation or anything else whatsoever that may have factored into her decision. After that day of self reckoning my life got better and so did Haley's.

It was easy for me to judge Haley's former owner. It allowed me to redirect my grief and anger and grab onto the righteous indignation that often accompanies feelings of moral superiority. As Jewel mentioned, maybe the woman at the rescue has had to develop a hard exterior to continue her work in rescue. Regardless of the reason, she had a better excuse for her bad behavior then I did, although please understand I do not condone the way she treated you.

Haley was only with me for 10 months. She died of a brain tumor on February 15, 2010. In the short time we were together Haley taught me to be more patient and less judgmental and to take satisfaction in small successes. I hope that I was able to give Haley an opportunity to enjoy a carefree life as a family pet - smelling the grass on our daily walks, chewing on a bone, being loved on by the neighborhood children - all the things a dog deserves to experience but none of which Haley knew.

I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding Cesar Milan and his training techniques. That said, I recall watching a particular episode during which he said that we don't get the dog we want - we get the dog we need. I needed Haley as much as she needed me.

Please consider and take comfort in the possibility that you and Bailey gave each other what you both needed for the short time you were together, and that you had the strength and courage to know that the time had come to give the gift that is Bailey to another family.

I hope you find the peace that you so rightfully deserve.

Baileyandkids`s Photos

Thank you all for your continued love and support. This has been very difficult for me. I wish I would have posted sooner and not held on to it for 2 weeks! You have all helped so much. More than you could imagine. I've decided to continue to read and follow threads and learn more. I am looking into how to volunteer at some of the rescues and looking into how to help some of the Pyr fosters in our area. Even if I can help with basic care like walking them it might help a little.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baileyandkids View Post
    I am looking into how to volunteer at some of the rescues and looking into how to help some of the Pyr fosters in our area. Even if I can help with basic care like walking them it might help a little.
    This is a wonderful idea!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

B&K I think this a great direction.. These guys have the most open loving hearts and trust is hard for so many of them based on their lives, you have so much love to give.... win win win for all!!! Cheers and hugs from our home...