Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Erniesmommy`s Photos

Default I bought a great pyrenes is it full bred or mix

Erie is my new doggies name hes 13 weeks old n 30 pounds.his mother was full breed white great pyrenesse who showed up at a ladys farm n had puppys then after a time left..ernie is a little goldish and has black grey mark on his lower tail n bits of black hairs on front of ears.anyway ive seen them difrent colors so im wondering if sombody can tell me if hes a mix heres a few pics . Id like to hear peoples opinions...i been reading your fourms n decided to join today..love the great pyrenese breeds personality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_084150.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	9289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_084158.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	9288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_084147.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	9287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_090641.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	9295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171111_084155.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	9286  

Last edited by Erniesmommy; 11-12-2017 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Change pics

Jewel`s Photos

What a sweet looking puppy! Congrats!!

He looks like a mix. His coat is not white is one indication. Pyrs are predominately white, true white not cream, with some patches of color allowed (no more than 30% by breed standards). Markings on a pyr are a mixture from shades of grey to shades of brown, never true black. I know that people have been on the boards with tan colored dogs they believe are purebreds but none of those are dogs with a documented bloodline, so most likely somewhere along the line there was another beed mixed in. He could very well be mixed with another LGD, like an anatolian, and so he would have size. It looks like your pup has single dewclaw, not double? If he has single dews, it could be another indication he is a mix.

The dog on the right of my avatar pic was my 1/2 pyr mix. His coat was white, but not pure white. It was cream white. The dog on the left of my pic was purebred pyr Bijou. When the two of them were next to each other, you could tell Bro's color was different.

Road Dawg

Erniesmommy`s Photos

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    What a sweet looking puppy! Congrats!!

He looks like a mix. His coat is not white is one indication. Pyrs are predominately white, true white not cream, with some patches of color allowed (no more than 30% by breed standards). Markings on a pyr are a mixture from shades of grey to shades of brown, never true black. I know that people have been on the boards with tan colored dogs they believe are purebreds but none of those are dogs with a documented bloodline, so most likely somewhere along the line there was another beed mixed in. He could very well be mixed with another LGD, like an anatolian, and so he would have size. It looks like your pup has single dewclaw, not double? If he has single dews, it could be another indication he is a mix.

The dog on the right of my avatar pic was my 1/2 pyr mix. His coat was white, but not pure white. It was cream white. The dog on the left of my pic was purebred pyr Bijou. When the two of them were next to each other, you could tell Bro's color was different.
    Yes your probly right thank you..yes i love him very sweet

Road Dawg

Erniesmommy`s Photos

I looked up those dogs n he does have that cap with a v on top of his heal alot of them did the anitolains..those are neat dogs to.thanks for replying

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

I think I see golden retriever. Just a look about the face and ears. As to size, I have had 3 females and they ranged from 69 to 80 pounds, no fat, and males from 70 to 99 pounds, also no fat. And two Great Pyrenees. Shaggy was kept in cage his first 5 years and was so stunted, no way could he attain the size he would have had. Sir Moose was 115 when we adopted him 3 yers, abut liver disease has dropped him to 80 pounds. However, he seems to be putting on some weight now.

But whatever, your pup is down right the picture of cuteness. I lost my last golden, Sophie a year ago Oct. 12, but still am active on goldn forums on facebook. One lady came to this one group and she was so depressed. She had been a member of another group and when it was found out she didn't hae ACK papers on her puppy, some members started telling her dog would die from cancer becaue it wa no checked out to get papers before she got it. Others told her the dog was worthless without papers. Such snobs turn my stomach. She came to this new group and let her know in no uncertain terms she and her pup were more than welcome. As I told her, AKC papers does make a dog love you ore, AKC papers do not make a dog more loyla, AKC papers do not make the dog more devoted. Certainly breeders and show folks need papers, but as for every day family pets, it isn't important, and it isn't importan if the dog has a background history as long as your arm. It means nothing to the dog. Both of my Prys and 2 of my 6 goldens were adopted. No papers, but love to go round.

So full pyr or not, he will love you just as much and that is the main thing.
    Jerry and Moose

Road Dawg

Erniesmommy`s Photos

Yes could be retriver to..lol who knows but ..thats realy sad sombody kept the dog in a cage that long ..very sad. i love ernie no matter what he is ..and a person to think doesnt have papers is worthless is demented all animals matter..even muts make some of the best pets..who ever said that ask them if thir pure bred..cause hittler would think thir worthless..thats about what i think of people like that.. when we first saw him thats what my friend said golden retriver..i know hes not full bred just trying to figure out whats the other half of him is sence the people i got it from dont know..ernie is a good puppy very obedient calm love his personality..thank you for replying could be that to..lol

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

It is so simple. The love between you and your dog is the most important thing of all! Not papers. not long lines of champs, not long blood lines. Just love.
    Jerry and Moose

Road Dawg

Erniesmommy`s Photos

Yes thats what makes a good owner.thank you for your reply. Hes 30 pounds at 3 months what you think his adult weight will be

Tough to guess, but our mix was 4 months old when we got him and weighed about 45lbs, almost 11 months now and weighs just over 90 lbs, and has actually held steady there for the last few weeks, so our guess is he'll get to maybe 120?

Road Dawg

Erniesmommy`s Photos

Ok thanks actually was 12 weeks sunday so hes 32 pounds at 3 months ...so im sure hell be around thir..thank you for sharing that with me.very nice dog..i love the great pyrenese in them very sensitive kind dogs..easy to train for me our personality mixes well..i had another mix n i loved her