Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Abnormal rear dew claw

So Zeke has the typical double rear dew claws. Three of them are normal, but one is not. It basically starts curling back towards the paw pad from the start. Not necessarily directly back into the pad, but follows it pretty closely, about as close as you can get without actually going into the pad. It's tough to trim, even the groomers/vet have a bit of trouble with it, you have to 1) trim it which it tough to do on it's own because it lays so close to the pad and 2) file the bottom edge so it has room to grow a bit and that edge won't start to press into the pad too soon.

Has anyone else had this issue?

We talked with our Vet about briefly the last time we had him in there for a trim, and she suggested having it removed just for the sake of how tough it is to trim, and how much he fights it.

He's scheduled to be neutered in the next month or so, closing in on 1 year old, and we're trying to decide what to do. I don't want this to be an issue with him his entire life and am leaning on having it removed. I'm not sure how much feeling that paw pad has on the outer edge, but has to be some type of annoyance to him at the least?

If they remove the abnormal one, do they have to remove the normal one as well?

We're taking him back in soon for another trimming, and we'll discuss further with the Vet, but just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

If it is a double dew they will have to remove both because, they share a blood supply. Missy's were removed as a puppy and she is just fine.

Now as a groomer I can say I have seen dews like this and while yes they can be a handful, they are also easily managed if need be. I work with a Chihuahua that has dews like this and he comes in one a month and we keep them up. He hates it and will attempt to eat our faces, but he hates all of his nails he was abused. Now the Shih Tzu with a dew like that he never complains, we see him every three months and his poor dew is always rolled into the pad and it bleeds when you cut it because it's in the pad. If he came in more often that would never happen but, his Mom feels it's silly to come in for just a nail trim. I have tried to talk her into getting it removed for that manner while the Chihuahua I wouldn't suggest it on because it's never a problem.

Thanks for the advice. We keep going back and forth, now we're back to just leaving it alone and staying on top of trimmings. I just hate to do any unnecessary procedures, plus his little dew claws are part of who he is. We have a couple different type of nail trimmers and I may just learn to trim that one on my own in between his normal visits.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay take a picture of his dews and then a pictures of your nail clippers. I can get you setup to do this without the vet every other week if needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nail.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	9303

This is about as good a pic as I can get, he's not big on sitting still when we mess with his rear paws. As you can see, it hugs the pad really close, and even after being clipped, the inside part of the claw still has a really sharp edge and rests right against the pad.

These are what we have for clippers/file, I bought them thinking I could help keep his nails trimmed, but I'm not very good at it, any slight yelp from him and it scares the heck out of me, always think I'm hurting him.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tsunibear`s Photos

In my professional opinion a large part of the problem is you clippers. I use these two https://www.amazon.com/Millers-Forge...+nail+clippers and https://www.amazon.com/Nail-Clipper-..._&dpSrc=detail
    The first pair are for the main nails the second ones are for dews because they have a smaller end. Now I also prefer to use a dremel with a small head on it so I can file that sharp edge off of the nail so it stays away from the pad.

Now my recommendation is to distract him while clipping his nails. What I do is I have all dogs on my table with a loop so they can't escape me in your case just using a leash and collar will work. Then I have someone petting and talking to the dog because, I am not allowed to give food to a customers dog. Now in your case designate a work area and possible get yourself a hook to tie the leash on and have a wall or something near it so you can put peanut butter or cream cheese there for him to lick while you clip those nails. He knows if he cries you will stop which is why he does it. Clipping nails and filing them doesn't hurt I have done it on myself. The dremel sounds scary but, really isn't.