Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Eating habit has just changed

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone. I have always fed Pippa twice a day. First bowl of food at 7:30 am after her morning walk, and second bowl of food at 6:30 pm, both bowls containing the same amount of food. Until last month, she would always finish her food before it was time for her second bowl of the day. I would always come home from work and find the bowl empty. Lately, she hasn't been eating that much food during the day, and some times the bowl is half full at 6:30 pm, when I give her the rest of her daily food. The funny thing is, she eats all the food she is supposed to eat daily, but she does it at night. I don't mind it at all, as long as she is happy and healthy, but I find it strange that she prefers "to save" all her food from the morning and eat it all at night. Sometimes I go to bed and there is still food in her bowl from lunch and dinner combined but by the time I wake up, all the food is gone.

The only thing that I do differently now is giving her a kong full of whatever she likes before I leave for work. Sometimes apple, sometimes cottage cheese, and sometimes wet food. Is it possible that the kong is enough to keep her satisfied during the day and that's why she doesn't eat her morning food? She is getting enough nutrients for sure, because she eats what she's supposed to eat for her age and size, but sometimes I wonder if it's okay for a dog to eat that much in one serving. It's her choice though.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

It sounds normal to me. Missy picks at her food all day. She takes a bite her and there and then goes and sleeps. So I put in what she is supposed to eat for the day and let her go about her business. She also prefers to eat at night you have to remember they are nocturnal by nature. So eating at night is normal.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo is a nibbler, he tends to eat after getting told off for scrounging on the counters. He also likes to eat when we are eating. He rarely eats what the bag says he should, but his body condition is good, maybe a touch thicker than he should be, but it was a hot summer so he stayed in the house a lot. I think she is just fine. One thing I did when mine was a pup was filled his pacifier kong with kibbles and then capped it off with cream cheese or canned food and froze it over night. it would take a while for him to work through the frozen stuff and then he got a small serving of kibbles.

Jewel`s Photos

Our first pyr was kinda like that. She was 10 months when we got her. She got one cup of kibbles for breakfast and she often wouldn't finish it. She spent her day out in the backyard so if she didn't finish her breakfast before we left for work, she had to wait until dinner. At dinner she got another cup of kibble but topped with cooked meats. If she had breakfast left over, I put the dinner on top. She always ate her dinner. She was over 3 yrs old before she decided she would eat all of her breakfast everyday.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm getting used to the idea of her eating just at night. It's been a big change, but if she's happy, I'm happy too. Now that she is almost 10 months old she spends more time awake during the night, which is understandable considering the breed, and eats when my family and I are asleep. Fingers crossed for not barking at night. It's not too bad right now.

Puppy (New Member)

Default How much food do most of you feed? Also, is that typical of Great Pyrenee?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone. I have always fed Pippa twice a day. First bowl of food at 7:30 am after her morning walk, and second bowl of food at 6:30 pm, both bowls containing the same amount of food. Until last month, she would always finish her food before it was time for her second bowl of the day. I would always come home from work and find the bowl empty. Lately, she hasn't been eating that much food during the day, and some times the bowl is half full at 6:30 pm, when I give her the rest of her daily food. The funny thing is, she eats all the food she is supposed to eat daily, but she does it at night. I don't mind it at all, as long as she is happy and healthy, but I find it strange that she prefers "to save" all her food from the morning and eat it all at night. Sometimes I go to bed and there is still food in her bowl from lunch and dinner combined but by the time I wake up, all the food is gone.

The only thing that I do differently now is giving her a kong full of whatever she likes before I leave for work. Sometimes apple, sometimes cottage cheese, and sometimes wet food. Is it possible that the kong is enough to keep her satisfied during the day and that's why she doesn't eat her morning food? She is getting enough nutrients for sure, because she eats what she's supposed to eat for her age and size, but sometimes I wonder if it's okay for a dog to eat that much in one serving. It's her choice though.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Mike,

Is that Pippa's photo? She resembles our 8 month old(Gene) so much. Gene is half Australian Shepard and half Great Pyrenee. Is that by chance what Pippa is?

I'm also wondering how much quantity everyone/anyone is feeding? Gene is quite big so it seems like he must be getting enough nutrition but similarly to some of these posts he seems to just nibble sometimes, sometimes decline altogether, and other times eat the whole bowl. I struggle to figure out if he hates it or just isn't hungry. I feed twice a day and take away what he leaves.

As I mentioned he's 8 months old which leaves me worried about his nutrition since he's still growing.

Thanks for any input,
    Kathleen

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KGK View Post
    I'm also wondering how much quantity everyone/anyone is feeding? Gene is quite big so it seems like he must be getting enough nutrition
    Depends on the size of your dog and the energy burn rate. The best measure is to look at body condition. You want to be able to feel the ribs without have to press down hard. If your pup has a thin layer of flesh over its ribs, he's likely doing fine. If you can count each individual rib without pressing, you probably can feed more.

Also how much to feed also varies depending on the kibble you feed. Some kibbles, like the Nature's Variety Instinct line, are at more than 500 calories a cup as compared to, say, the Kirkland brand at about 340 calories per cup.

Ren was probably eating about 4 cups at 8 months. He was about 70 lbs at that age and in good body condition. Ren is not a very high energy dog.

edit to add: the dog on the right of my avatar pic, that was Bro. Bro was 1/2 and 1/2 retriever/aussie mix.

Quote Originally Posted by KGK View Post
    Mike,

Is that Pippa's photo? She resembles our 8 month old(Gene) so much. Gene is half Australian Shepard and half Great Pyrenee. Is that by chance what Pippa is?
    Hi Kathleen, sorry for my late reply. I rescued Pippa from a farm in Tennessee so I never met the parents. All I know is that there were over 150 dogs in that farm and that it was getting out of control. The farm's owners gave away most of the pups (or got taken away from them). Who knows.

When she was around 2 months old, Pippa was sent to a humane society in Michigan and the rest is history. The vets at the humane society listed her as a mutt: Great Pyrenees and Anatolian Shepherd being the most prominent breeds and a little bit of Mastiff.

The thing with mutts is that their DNA test sometimes come unclear, so I can't tell you 100% if she has German Shepherd blood or not. Somehow it's GP and Anatolian Shepherd the most prominent genes expressed, so when someone asks me what she is, that is basically what it is. Why is she brown and white, I have no idea. Because Anatolians are not particularly brown.

Oh, and about the food intake. Pippa only eats when I'm around, which is at nights. Very rarely she eats during the day. She is very active at night. I would say that she eats around 3-4 cups of food every day. She has access to a lot more food than that, but she doesn't want to eat more than that amount. She's 13 months.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Mikel,

The breed standard for Anatolians is actually pretty diverse when it comes to coat colors. If you do a google image search for “Pinto Anatolian Shepherd”, I think you’ll see some gorgeous boys and girls who look a bit more like Pippa than the fawn-colored dog with a dark face that is typically associated with the breed (although those are gorgeous, too!).
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian