Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Adoption Stories!

I probably should have thought of this sooner, but October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month, and as many of us know, there are far too many Pyrs and Pyr mixes currently residing in shelters and rescues across the country.

Being that a whole lot of us have rescue stories to share, I thought it might be fun to share them here.

I apologize to those of you who have already heard Sebastian’s story a gazillion times! You have my permission to skip the rest of my post and post your own adoption story, or read the stories that I hope everyone else will post!

There is some ambiguity about exactly how old Sebastian was when he and his 6 brothers were turned over to rescue, but one of the transport volunteers said that the puppies were each small enough to fit in the palm of his hand. Originally, they were supposed to pick up 10 puppies that day, but the three females in the litter were nowhere to be found when the volunteers arrived to take the puppies to safety. They left with Sebastian, his six brothers, and a three month old Anatolian mix now named Apollo. The puppies were all filthy and covered in fleas.

For those of you not familiar with rescue transport (I wasn’t), in many cases, each journey is a highly coordinated effort, with volunteers in different areas offering to cover certain “legs” of the journey. On this day, the journey was split into two, with the meetup being in a parking lot in a small town Southwest of Fort Worth. This was when they noticed that something was wrong. The younger seven puppies seemed to be lethargic and just not acting like puppies their age. The volunteers called the rescue, to let them know that the next stop for these puppies was going to be the rescue’s vet.

An ELISA test confirmed the worst. The seven younger puppies all had Parvo. Within the next 48 hours, Seven puppies became two. The three females missing from transport are assumed to have met the fate of their five least fortunate brothers. The older Anatolian puppy was thankfully not ill, and would soon be at the rescue learning how to walk in grass for the first time.

The two surviving puppies, named Saint and Tabby, had a rough road to recovery - especially Tabby. The Parvo decimated his immune system, leaving him particularly susceptible to secondary infections. It seemed like he found a way to catch them all.

I first met Saint and Tabby one Saturday afternoon at the insistence of someone I now call Mr. X. Mr. X had adopted his Saint from this rescue, and really really wanted me to adopt one, as well. I honestly thought I was going to the rescue that day to do Breed research for that one day somewhere down the line when I was ready to adopt an older, female Saint or Saint mix. I spent the afternoon meeting a bunch of really fantastic dogs. Then, Mr. X asked if we could see the Parvo puppies. We weren’t allowed to interact with them, since they were still shedding the virus, but we did get to see them play.

I spent that evening deciding on what name to give “Saint”. I decided on Saint Sebastian, after the Patron Saint of Soldiers and Althetes, in honor of the strength and courage he had during his battle with Parvo.

About a week later, I learned that I was approved to adopt him. Two weeks after that, I brought him home, and changed my name to Sebastian's Mom, aka That Lady Who Lives With Him And Buys Him Stuff!

Okay, your turn! I want to hear your adoption stories!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Not a Pyr rescue....

We were "kind of" looking for another Aussie, as our Shilo was aging...but in no hurry..

We found a lady who rescued only Aussie's, Border Collies & mixes of those breeds...and we happened to be going past her place.

She single handedly rescued & placed over 250 dogs...she was an amazing woman

She brought out the puppy first...full of energy & puppy cuteness & antics...
    then she brought out an "older" dog, she thought maybe 3 yrs., he came running out, then politely greeted us, then laid down quietly.
    And then there was the Pyr/Aussie mix....lovely girl, but we already had 2 Pyrs

So we settled on the older more mature guy...then learned his story. He was traded between 2 breeders, the husband of the breeder who brought him home did not like Aussies, Dancer was kenneled from that day on, not allowed to play with the other dogs (Berners) and because he was a lonely puppy, he cried & barked...well that got him an operation, he was de-barked.

Finally our rescue lady comes into the picture and takes Dancer away from his situation.

When we got him up to Alaska, he kept banging his head on all the doors...found out he was used to a doggie door (I felt so bad)
    His muscles were weak, a short walk would send them into spasms, we took it slow...he never did learn how to play with a ball, nor catch one.

But he found his true calling when I went in to the local pet store & there was a test for Canine Good Citizen being held, the guy who was giving it said I could give it a try, but normally a dog who hadn't been trained wouldn't pass...but Dancer did...easily!
    And then we went on to Therapy dog training...

Dancer was such a hit! We went to hospitals, nursing homes, libraries & classes for special needs children...the moment I hold in my heart is one special child we were working with, when we first met her, she was in a wheelchair & her hand was not responding to therapy & would not function...she "walked" Dancer in her wheel chair, then eventually we got her out walking him around the room by herself...the best moment, that brought tears to her Mom was the day she took Dancer's leash & grabbed it with her nonfunctional hand!!!

I hadn't done a thing...Dancer did it all by himself...he was a gentle soul, and I was so glad to have had him in my life & show me how to give & help people...a lesson I try to remember everyday.

That is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever heard! I am so happy that Dancer found you and was able to find his true calling!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Thank you SebastiansMom...

he developed Valley Fever, we think he was around 10-12 when his body could no longer fight it nor the drug...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancer.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	9230

What a beautiful boy, inside and out! I do hope that researchers are able to develop a safe and effective vaccine for VF. It sounds like a truly horrific disease.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    he kept banging his head on all the doors...found out he was used to a doggie door
    made me laugh and cry at the same time...

It was a normal Saturday. Walk in the park followed by a trip to Petsmart. Like many other normal Saturdays, there was a rescue group there with dogs for adoption. The one difference that day was there were these 4 fluffy big mostly white puppies...

I handed the leash of our first pyr to my husband to get a closer look at the pups recognizing they were pyr mix pups. in the many trips to Petsmart before that day, I had never ever asked to hold a puppy. There I was standing there looking down at the pups, we had no intentions of getting another dog, or even thought about it getting another dog, I heard myself saying to the rescue volunteer, "I want to hold THAT one." For whatever strange reason, the recuse person immediately plucked the pup out of the pen and put him into my arms. I say that because I heard them refusing to let others hold the pups after that. Bro never went back into that pen. We showed him our first pyr and he fell head over heels over her instantly. Our first pyr approved of "her" own puppy immediately as well.

In 2013, the whole family attended the Great Pyrenees National Specialty that was held in Texas. There was a Parade of Rescues at the Nationals. The day it was held, a friend asked if Bro was going to be in the Rescue Parade. The first thought that crossed my mind was "why would Bro be in the Rescue Parade??" Bro was the result of a female stray in heat walking on to a ranch with an intact male working pyr. His mom was picked up by the rescue while pregnant and Bro was born in a whelping box at a foster home and adopted at 8 weeks. Bro may technically had been a "rescue" puppy, the fact was he was treated like royalty from the day he was born.

We said goodbye to Bro a year ago July, from osteosarcoma. He was nearly 12.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am loving reading these stories. I didn't get to adopt any of my dogs. I tried to get a Saint/Aussie mix but, I was told I was too young and because I was a girl wouldn't be able to handle a dog of that size...their exact words. In the words of Julia Roberts "Big mistake" I would have made a bad ass home for that guy too, but when one door closes another one opens. I got Missy because they told me no.

Jewel, I love Bro’s story! Isn’t it amazing how we just seem to know when the right pup comes along? Bro set a lot of wonderful things in motion!

Tsunibear, if I ever have a rescue, you will be on my Most Favored Adopters list, for sure! And yes, long before Sebastian came along, Mr. X told me that it would be “dangerous” for me to have a giant breed dog because of both my size and my gender. Of course, that was before I showed him I could handle his dog better than he could!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

We're coming up on three years since we adopted Lily. Lily came into rescue after having been found wandering during the big thunderstorms during the summer. She was emaciated, had barely any fur and had recently had a litter of puppies. Lily and another young female dog came into rescue about the same time. We had recently had to rehome Zaki due to same-gender aggression and were looking for a female to add to the family. The other dog available through the rescue was quite young and up to the usual puppy antics. I had two puppies on my hands already and the thought of adding a third made me feel physically ill. We were disappointed to learn that someone else would be adopting Lily and decided to wait and look a bit longer. We got a message a few days later that the rescue learned that the family adopting Lily had not been honest with their paperwork, Lily would no longer be going to them and did we still want her? Did we! We met Lily with her foster who had fallen in love with her and couldn't believe she was letting her go... At first meeting, Lily was a bag o' bones but so incredibly sweet. We brought her home and Tyro fell in love with her immediately. Within the first couple of weeks we learned Lily was HW positive and she had to go through the painful treatment and weeks of restricted activity. Lily was a pretty fearful dog when she came to us. Very soft tempered and easily startled. She seemed to live life in a constant state of wanting to reassure everyone that she was a good girl. And she was. It took her two months to accept a cookie and many months more before she would feel safe enough to sit. Throughout all this time and working to build trust with her humans, Lily forged an instant bond with Tyro and was the calming influence and guidance he so badly needed at that time in his life. Within the next month, we would get Tyro's CHD diagnosis and wrestle with all that meant for him. Lily was truly his rock and the best thing that ever happened to him. I think sometimes that God sent Lily because Tyro needed her, possibly more than we did. Ru was Tyro's replacement puppy and Lily was the perfect mentor for her as she has been growing up. Lily is now the smallest of our Trio but rules the Kangals with a mere glance. We call her the grease that keeps the Blackie machine running smoothly (Blackie being our collective nickname for Tyro and Ru). Lily was supposed to be about 5-6 when she came into rescue and would now be 8-9. Last year she came down with Valley Fever that has not responded well to treatment thus far. She's showing signs of arthritis from both the Valley Fever and OCD lesions that she has in her shoulders. This Fall she has for the first time seemed like an 'older' dog and it squeezes my heart every time I see that side of her. She still wants to run and play, still bosses Tyro and Ru around and still is persistent in following me around the rest her head on my leg, even if I am walking. Lily has been the greatest gift of our doggy journey... Would that they could stay with us always!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) 2BIGWHITEDOGS's Avatar

2BIGWHITEDOGS`s Photos

Mya rescued me when I rescued her. My heart dog Brody had died suddenly of heart failure just a couple of months before his fourth birthday. I was in shock and devastated. The next day i was online to see if there were any pyrs in need. I had to go to the city for business, a three hour drive. There was a young pyr at a city shelter and I thought, it can't hurt to look. I met this dog but was afraid she would not be a good match for my older pyrenees. Then they brought out a pyrenees they had not advertised. She was around four, not spayed, very thin and limping from an old cruciate injury. Because of the distance, they spoke with my vet and let me take her home that day. The first week was awful, the two dogs did not get along and Mya was very stressed. It was too soon for me and I almost gave up on her. I think I lost ten pounds from the stress.
    I didn't give up on Mya, she and Bailey eventually became best friends and my heart made room for her. She was there to the very end for Bailey when she lost her battle with osteosarcoma in January. Losing two pyrs in seven months was very hard on me and she was my rock this past winter. I decided to take a pyrenees break and got a labernese puppy in the spring. Mya helped me raise him and they are the best of friends. It has been almost a year and a half since Mya came into my life and I am so thankful that I made that impulsive decision to bring her home that day.