Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

So I took Bear to a few different vets until I found one who I felt most comfortable with (caring and not just after money). He says surgery is the worse case scenario on such a large dog. He gave us pain killers and anti inflammatories and strict rest. This was almost 2 weeks ago and Bear seems to be feeling better, I'm worried that its just bc of the pain pills. He's also on glucosamine but vet says this wont help.We go back for a check up this week and I'm hoping to get an x ray just to know exactly what is going on.
    Antonia when Lily was diagnosed did they do an x ray ?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mybear22 View Post
    So I took Bear to a few different vets until I found one who I felt most comfortable with (caring and not just after money). He says surgery is the worse case scenario on such a large dog. He gave us pain killers and anti inflammatories and strict rest. This was almost 2 weeks ago and Bear seems to be feeling better, I'm worried that its just bc of the pain pills. He's also on glucosamine but vet says this wont help.We go back for a check up this week and I'm hoping to get an x ray just to know exactly what is going on.
    Antonia when Lily was diagnosed did they do an x ray ?
    No x-ray on Lily but she had to be sedated to be able to check her ligaments. It's the only way to be able to check without resistance from the dog. Lily's joint movement in the sedated manual exam was pretty classic so we left it at that. After her first week on total rest, she has no limp and no obvious pain. She's on Gabapentin for arthritis but this was not keeping her from limping when she initially tore the ligament so I think the rest is what is helping. I'm no expert but have also been doing some massage in her leg, above and below where the tear would be. She LOVES this! She becomes so completely blissful it is hard to believe. I figure it might help lessen stress on the surrounding area. She moves more freely on her arthritic front shoulder after she gets "the puppy massage" Yes, I should open a full time doggy spa and rehabilitation center...!