Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Removing undercoat without cutting....?

We bought our Pyr about 2 years ago, and he is the bestest puppas in the world
    (I know you think that about your puppies too but I'm not convinced) hee hee

Ok so I have worn out my first set of brushes with my pyr, he has a little Marima in him too so I find his whole coat is REALLY long about 10+ inches in most places and often finer than most pyrs, he is also softer then any pyr ever seen like he is still a puppy (which may be the case)

his undercoat is thick but VERY VERY fine hairs super soft, and his outside coat is almost wispy and thin. And of course sensitive skin!

I hate to cut his coat, if I even trim the outside just a little, he breaks out in a rash for days(not allergy just irritation for his skin). So cutting and matting brushes are not ideal I find.

So instead I detangle... ugg...but I understand its better so ok im in!

He doesn't really matt too badly, just behind his ears where the fur curls.

However I don't know how to help him get out the excess undercoat out while he is blowing his coat, the rest of the year its fine.
    The excess causes him hot spots and he will rub his nooks and crannies till they are raw if I cant get it out, however I havent found out a good way to remove this without a matting brush designed to cut, which also doesn't help his skin...

*Note he doesn't matt much because he is mostly an indoor dog and is brushed daily because its his fav thing...

However the real problem starts twice a year, when he blows his coat, (I can sit for hours and hours picking it out with my own comb but the eventually it broke after his first thigh was done) but it still doesn't separate the hair coming out with the new hair coming in.

I guess I need something designed to pull out excess hair without cutting out mats for super long and fine fur... because between his itching and my now cotton ball covered floors.

I have tried:
    Matting brushes such as but not limited to the furminator, oster brush, combs, slickers, pin brushes... and I'm back here.

Mostly I just don't want him to have hot spots, the vet says they are not bad, and gave me a topical spray, but unless he gets brushed all day long, I'll never get the hair out to stop irritating his skin, and its not bad but I mean who wants to itch like hell? I know I wouldn't.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ok so things that cut the undercoat are never a good idea for a double coated dog. Best thing to get is an undercoat rake.
    https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Dou.../dp/B0002DIRYG
    Like that one, i prefer a double. The reason the undercoat is so fine and wispy is from cutting it.
    You will also need a slicker brush, this will help with the matting. My boy mats behind his ears as well, and I have resorted to cutting those mats.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    This slicker in teal is wonderful.

And welcome to the forum

Puppy (New Member)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Ok so things that cut the undercoat are never a good idea for a double coated dog. Best thing to get is an undercoat rake.
    https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Dou.../dp/B0002DIRYG
    Like that one, i prefer a double. The reason the undercoat is so fine and wispy is from cutting it.
    You will also need a slicker brush, this will help with the matting. My boy mats behind his ears as well, and I have resorted to cutting those mats.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    This slicker in teal is wonderful.

And welcome to the forum
    Thank you and glad to have found this place! Looks wonderful!

I have avoided using things that cut his undercoat, as they tend to irritate not help, the wispy is natural and is NOT the undercoat but his outer coat. His undercoat is dense and I needed something solid. <3.

That brush is exactly what I was looking for thank you! Looks sturdy and with just solid prongs not too far apart it should help a ton! Ill have a happy puppy again! Thank you! <3 <3 <3 My slicker is still pretty solid and I think will combo well with the brush! Thanks again!

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

I use the combo, an undercoat rake with a slicker brush. I use the undercoat rake to pull out the undercoat and finish it off with a slicker or greyhound comb for the top coat. Gets out way more hair than the furminator without damaging the guard hairs. Here is the undercoat rake I use, which my dog loves! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U204CD4

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

The furminator cuts the undercoat and should never be used on a Pyr.

I wanted to add, please be mindful of how damaging cutting a double coated dogs fur can be. If you go through this thread you will see many posts about this very subject, I would take some time and look though and really study what people have said and then look for what will work best. A lot of times the implements we use are not exactly what we think and can be doing a lot of damage. Specifically the furminater cuts the undercoat and will damage it pretty bad. One of our members who posts often is a groomer and gives lots of advice, tool suggestions and tips on grooming.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Knowing he gets hotspot and such I would say it's time to make an investment for you and for him and buy a force dryer. You want to get the undercoat out without damaging the hair or irritating the skin then a force dryer is the best way to go. Yes initially it is a little pricey but, in the long run it will save you time and money. If you have a force dryer you won't have to take him to a groomer cause you can blow that hair out yourself. It will make using a slicker brush and double undercoat rake way easier too. Turn on the dryer in your cage make it snow and then brush all of the loose hair out.

Okay- try this- get a water spray bottle. I have found spraying the rake with water catches the flyaways. Or even spray lightly the area of the dog.
    The best way to get rid of the undercoat is to bathe the dog- using a good pin brush or rake with each step- the initial wet down, after the shampoo is applied, then rinse out.
    Either way- its great for catching the flying hair. It's also soothing to the dog.
    If the dog has hot spots, maybe a tar type shampoo is a good idea or any shampoo made for irritated skin would do it. Take it slow and easy- like a massage.I also reccomend use a combination of a rake like gettingready and a retractable slicker brush. I don't need anything for tangles though mine are just for general grooming and for when they are moulting (new girl seems to be shedding enough to make another dog right now)

I do also have a furminator https://petapproves.com/best-dog-brush/ which has been okay but most of the teeth have broken off so no longer use it but it was good for the first few years.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, I hope someone will come in handy. Good luck.
    Last edited by eddine; 05-15-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: text