Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

remysmomma`s Photos

Default 12 week old great pyr non-stop barking for attention

My great pyr puppy is about to turn 12 weeks old, and barks non stop all day. It not barking based on something he hears, he is barking for attention. I have him blocked off in my living room in a large space, but if i am trying to watch tv or cook dinner in his view, he will not stop barking until i give him attention, and then once i leave again he starts right back up.

It is absolutely intolerable and I have had so many complaints. Has this happened to anyone before? Does it ever end? It would break my heart to give him up so id be so appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay first of all he just found his voice so if he is anything like Missy he is going to bark just to hear himself bark. Second of all if you know that he is barking to get your attention and you still give him the attention he needs because he is barking you are letting him know that's okay when it really isn't. Giving him attention after a pointless barking session is enforcing this behavior. Unless he is barking for a reason and even if you can't see that reason there is usually a reason to bark in their minds you don't pet him. If it has become too much and you need a barking break I suggest the can of doom (Slim fast can with three pennies in it), a dog whistle or even a spray bottle to let him know that, that kind of behavior isn't okay. When he is quiet you get up and shower him with love and attention and treats cause that's what you want to enforce.

Puppy (New Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

That's what i've been trying to do! I avoid looking his way, talking, or really doing anything when he is barking but to no avail. Hopefully the dog whistle will help

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Okay first of all he just found his voice so if he is anything like Missy he is going to bark just to hear himself bark. Second of all if you know that he is barking to get your attention and you still give him the attention he needs because he is barking you are letting him know that's okay when it really isn't. Giving him attention after a pointless barking session is enforcing this behavior. Unless he is barking for a reason and even if you can't see that reason there is usually a reason to bark in their minds you don't pet him. If it has become too much and you need a barking break I suggest the can of doom (Slim fast can with three pennies in it), a dog whistle or even a spray bottle to let him know that, that kind of behavior isn't okay. When he is quiet you get up and shower him with love and attention and treats cause that's what you want to enforce.

Jewel`s Photos

How much exercise is Remmy getting on a daily basis? Typically a 12-week old is still at a stage where it needs quite a bit of sleep. So if you tire it out with vigorous play, it would take a nap for a while then start all over again. If your pup is constantly barking, it suggests that he's not getting enough physical outlet. You can try the spray bottle, the "can of death", the whistle but if you are not giving it enough physical outlet, it is very difficult to contain the energy.

Admittedly my Ren is not very high energy. At around 12 weeks old, I'd come home from work and I would have a play session with him of, as I recall, usually no more than 45 minutes. I would wrestle with him, make him chase me in the backyard and play rough with him. After that he would be content to chew on a toy for a while then fall asleep. His predecessor, his Aunt Bijou, was pretty high energy. But thankfully we raised Bijou with the help of Bro who had the energy level to take on Bijou. I don't know what we would have done if we had to raise Bijou as an only child like we are doing with Ren now.

Puppy (New Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

That's true, he probably needs a bit more excessive. It's hard because he is still in the biting stage, and even on walks and such he stops halfway through because he wants to start biting my legs so i just take him in. I will figure out a new way to keep him active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    How much exercise is Remmy getting on a daily basis? Typically a 12-week old is still at a stage where it needs quite a bit of sleep. So if you tire it out with vigorous play, it would take a nap for a while then start all over again. If your pup is constantly barking, it suggests that he's not getting enough physical outlet. You can try the spray bottle, the "can of death", the whistle but if you are not giving it enough physical outlet, it is very difficult to contain the energy.

Admittedly my Ren is not very high energy. At around 12 weeks old, I'd come home from work and I would have a play session with him of, as I recall, usually no more than 45 minutes. I would wrestle with him, make him chase me in the backyard and play rough with him. After that he would be content to chew on a toy for a while then fall asleep. His predecessor, his Aunt Bijou, was pretty high energy. But thankfully we raised Bijou with the help of Bro who had the energy level to take on Bijou. I don't know what we would have done if we had to raise Bijou as an only child like we are doing with Ren now.

Jewel`s Photos

Christi used a flirt pole with Apollo with great success. You can see a post from her in this thread describing how she made one.

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ght=#post98596

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

The flirt pole is an amazing tool to have if you have a dog who is willing to chase it. I have recommend it to tons of people. I personally recommend a small piece of pvc pipe with a rope or paracord in it and not a mop handle cause I broke a mop handle playing with a small terrier. https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/ That's the original directions for a how to flirt pole.

I recommend it for older people who can't get around much and are sore or handicap. It has saved tons of my customers from wanting to strangle their dogs and it's super easy to make. I forget not all Pyrs are like Missy who love to sleep.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I have to agree with Tsuni here, the flirt pole was the best, but it did break eventually. Granted by then he had Roxy to play with and it had served its purpose. At around 12 weeks I think we would do short 10 to 15 minute play sessions 2 to 3 times a day. Generally I ran him around till he refused to play anymore. Apollo was super high energy and really needed to be drained often. I would also do short 5 to 10 minute training sessions, we would go for 3 to 4 short walks a day, and of course he had lots of play time in the yard. We really had to think of ways to keep him occupied to divert him from the puppy shark tactics.