Thread: Play pen floor?

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

remysmomma`s Photos

Default Play pen floor?

Hi! Remy is about to turn 12 weeks, so exciting! Right now i have him secluded in a large open area in my house. It is large enough to give him lots of space to play and grow. The problem is that he still isnt potty trained and my floors are laminate, and with his frequent accidents, my floors are starting to buckle and get ruined.

I am looking for something to cover the floor that is waterproof but will be comfortable to play on. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

this is a tough one, because you want something that you can thoroughly clean & get his scent out of so that he doesn't continue
    to use that area....

you can try using large mats used for boots, or go to a big box store & get a large out door mat...

or, lay a waterproof barrier under a large piece of artificial grass?

best thing....take him out more frequently (I know, not easy to do!)
    praise (happy potty dance!! really big deal)

this will pass...hope your floors hold up in the mean time!

Jewel`s Photos

Anything that you put down on the floor that is not nailed down on all sides is potentially going to be ripped apart by the puppy. I would not be nearly as concerned with the pup ripping stuff to shreds, I would be more concerned about the pup choking, swallowing non edible things that cause blockage, or suffocating itself.

Also, if you put down a plastic tarp kind of thing, urine would just run off it and get on to your floor anyway.

I have a big puppy pad type of blanket thing that is about 5x5 that is absorbent. I got mine years ago but I think they still sell something for similar purpose if you look around on the net. Again, while that's absorbent, it can be ripped apart easily by a pup's shark teeth.

This is the reason why if the pup is left alone, it is good to confine them to a crate. Crates are much easier to clean and it does teach a pup to exert self control with potty. Provided, of course that you are taking the pup out on a consistent basis to minimize accidents.

Ren was confined in his crate during the day when he was at Remmy's current age. He often had to go in his crate because we were at work and could only be back during lunch hour. His crate was the 42" size wire crate and I always left something absorbent folded up in the crate to soak up urine. I was cleaning out his crate on a daily basis, but that wasn't all that difficult. He was let out of his crate as soon as we got home. Our house is hardwood throughout and some evenings were brutal when Ren had like a dozen accidents in one evening. We took him out at least once an hour, but because I wouldn't restrict his water intake in the evenings, he was known to pee literally every 10 minutes. We just tried to be as vigilant as possible. Not gonna lie, potty training with him was brutal.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I had this exact problem. We ended up with a xxl crate and a Kong padded bed that is washable and waterproof. You can put it in the washer or use spray and brush. It is made out of durable thick duck cloth. Kit really enjoyed digging and this thing survived that and her constant chewing. It is a bit overpriced and they only carry it at persmart. If you live in the Orlando area, I am willing to give you mine. We have two of them and we donít use crates anymore

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

My question would be, how are you going about potty training? A young puppy like this generally needs to go out every 1 to 2 hours, yelling at them for accidents is not effective. When he goes potty in the yard do you make it super special? We had to be vigilant because Apollo is a parvo survivor and had persistent diarrhea. I went out with him and stayed with him, as soon as he started going the praise began, I sang a special song, danced around and gave him 3 to 4 high value treats. It was silly and over the top, but going potty in the yard was the best part of his whole day. He got a product called Canine Caviar or the blue buffalo duck treats. The only time he got those treat was for a good potty. If he went potty in the house it was a non event, he was taken out and I came in and cleaned it up. No yelling no nothing. Since there was no reaction to indoor accidents, and an outside potty such a huge celebration it was really easy to train him.

That is not to say it works with all dogs, some are more stubborn about it. But it helps. Also is he always contained? And if so is he close to the door he uses to go out? When Apollo had an accident it was always in the vicinity of the back door, which is where he went out. He still goes to that door and whines when he wants to go outside.