Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Kali turns 1 yr and now barks at night

Well, it's been a good nights sleep for a few months now. Good things apparently don't last forever! About 2 months ago we started letting Kali roam the house free at night, but mostly she just decided to sleep next to my side of the bed. Wonderful stuff! She turned 1 yr old this month, and suddenly she is the alert protector of the house. I guess the wild turkeys recently started cackling very loud at night, usually around 1:30am, and of course to Kali (and me) it sounds like children screaming. This is about 3 blocks away, so I barely hear it, but Kali starts her alert barking (it is really loud now). So I take her outside on leash, we enjoy the noisy turkeys together as I try to comfort and calm her down. She doesn't bark while I'm outside with her, I guess she figures I hear them so no need to alert me. We go back inside, I try to sleep, and there goes the barking again. I have trouble faulting her, it is a good response, to let me know a strange noise is outside and I should be awake and aware (grumble...). She is such a good dog...
    This is just a growing phase, right? Exercising her somewhat new found, loud bark? Even with windows closed, she hears the outside noises, so I can only hope she eventually decides these sounds are normal, and the big bark can wait!
    Yes?

Puppy (New Member)

Your dog is learning right now, seeing when she barks, she gets to go out and see whats going on! Must keep you safe!
    Perhaps you should tell her to shh, and roll back over (this might be hard), if your not concerned neither should she be.

Your dog doesn't see you as HER protector, she is seeing it the other way around, while your sleeping.

My dog struggled a bit when we went onto open house roam at night, so I kept him in the room for a few more days after he would do something like barking, or getting into something he wasn't suppose to. We would revert to the close door for a few days, also I would not praise, but scold barking at night.

I know, I know, scolding your dog is not something most people approve of, but I treat it no differently than I do my own kids so no beating your pup ok? A simple knock it off or shh, and put into a closed room ought to help.

Eventually it stopped took about 2-3 weeks. And now he roams quietly, in the evening even when other dogs outside are on high alert.

However if you don't train this out of her it will continue, and probably get worse, as your breaking part of her natural behavior, for the better though we need sleep! <3 good luck!

Another idea to help - drown out the sound you might put on a tv in the front room so your dog doesn't hear the turkeys

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Honestly, I feel like there is a good chance that Kali will acclimate to the sound of the turkeys and learn that they arenít a threat. It took Sebastian a few weeks to adjust to the sounds of our current neighborhood.

We sleep in the back bedroom with the door closed, to help block out the street noise. I usually fall asleep to the tv or other white noise, and turn it off in the middle of the night if I forget to set the sleep timer. I also keep a cookie jar on the bedside table for quick redirecting in the middle of the night. If he starts barking, I ask him if he wants to be quiet for a cookie. He comes over and gets the cookie, forgets what he was barking at, and goes back to sleep. With him, commanding him to be quiet has never worked, so I have found other ways around it. I think it has something to do with the thousands of years that his ancestors have been selectively bred not to care if we were happy with them, so long as we were all safe.

Hopefully, Kali will catch on soon. In the meantime, try not to let the turkeys get you down (sorry, that was awful, I know. I couldnít resist).
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo went through that phase, he is never scolded or reprimanded for barking. I see that as something like getting angry at my child for having a high pitched voice. Pyr's are very barky dogs, and anyone that does even a modicum of research should be aware of that fact. That being said, yup it is very annoying and exhausting to be woken up nightly to barking. What we did back when it was horrible, was get up go to the window look out, and tell him its fine, thanks for telling me, lets go back to bed now. I also used cookies or a yak bone as distraction, and sleep with a fan on at night to help muffle the sound.

As Apollo matured he got used to most common sounds around us, and now only barks in the middle of the night if there is something off that makes him nervous, like a car that is loud and he doesn't recognize it, or in the winter when someone is having issues getting up the steep hill we live on due to ice. Or a screaming fight, stuff that it is entirely appropriate for him to let me know about. Keep in mind it is very important to develop trust between you and your Pyr and yelling at them for something they were bred to do is not going to help that.

This is a very common phase, and most of us have been through it and its not fun in the least for us. It does pass with maturity though. Personally I would not take her outside, that could actually stimulate her and prolong the barking.

Thanks for the tips all! It took several weeks, but things are getting better. The loud, sustained, frenzy barking has now become a few muted growl barks, and thankfully she remains composed and usually goes back to her sleeping (or whatever) activity. Not sure how much of her time at night is spent laying next to me with her eyes open, maybe some. I never scolded her for the bedtime barking, as I do appreciate the alertness. I talk to her, in a calm tone, hopefully to convey to her that the noise is not threatening and is ok. Now, this didn't work immediately, but like with most things with Kali it eventually caught on. She's probably smarter than me, so she is constantly testing me. She is doing her self appointed duty, and I respect that (now that I can sleep again). We have had various situations during the day where noises are heard, new to her, contractors, road work, neighbor kids being kids. Of course she goes a bit nuts and barks, but I put her on a leash, we go outside together, give her a sit command, praise her, sometimes with a treat, we listen to the noise a bit, and I like to think she is registering this particular noise in her memory as non-threatening. The philosophy of dog is tremendous, and I am still building an understanding. As I type this, to my side is "The Other End of the Leash". A wonderful book, on my third read. Kali continues to be a very challenging dog, and we love her !

Jewel`s Photos

I admit, Iím human, Iím not perfect... Iíve been known to shout ďplease shut up!Ē for indoor barking. But alas, that tends to backfire as my dog thinks Iím joining in...

My experience after raising a few of these guys is that itís more effective to listen to what they might be reacting to and if itís nothing of concern, let them know I got the situation under control and they can stand down. If they are appropriately alerting, and I can usually tell that from the tone of the bark, they get praised but I still let them know that Iím aware of the situation and they can stand down.

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I admit, Iím human, Iím not perfect... Iíve been known to shout ďplease shut up!Ē for indoor barking. But alas, that tends to backfire as my dog thinks Iím joining in...

My experience after raising a few of these guys is that itís more effective to listen to what they might be reacting to and if itís nothing of concern, let them know I got the situation under control and they can stand down. If they are appropriately alerting, and I can usually tell that from the tone of the bark, they get praised but I still let them know that Iím aware of the situation and they can stand down.
    Haha I have too Jewel, which is why I know its generally not a good idea, Dog is in stress mode, Mom goes to stress mode (yelling at obnoxiously loud dog) loud dog decides to raise the barking level over that of Mom. I was given advice early on here and took it to heart after a few instances of wildly over excited dog in the middle of the night, and my life is more peaceful for it.

Yup! No barking contests here. Kali wins every time! She is still very active, but calmer now than 4 months ago. Maybe by 2 yrs old, all will be wonderful

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    Yup! No barking contests here. Kali wins every time! She is still very active, but calmer now than 4 months ago. Maybe by 2 yrs old, all will be wonderful
    Sure it will till the next thing come's up. Seems with the furkids, if its not one thing its another! Come to think of it, its like that with the human kids too.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I have no experience with humans but Kit is getting easier to manage at 11 months. Right around 7 months, she went insane and now she is calmer again. Thank you Jesus! She is very bonded to Lucky, my Goldendoodle, who is a never bark dog. He is the only one out of his litter that does not bark and Kit is following in his footsteps. My previous LGD did alert bark and it prevented a break in once. I don't know if Kit is going to stay like Lucky. Kit was much more vocal as a puppy and whined a lot when she wanted something. She still does this from time to time but rarely alert bark unless she was in the car. She likes to alert bark at dogs.