Thread: Fire Ants

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Fire Ants

While we were putting up the back fence I was barefooted. I know, not smart for someone with diabetes, but I hae gone shoeless my entire life and I don't even think about it. Well, I was sitting on a camp stool resting and suddenly my feet and legs from knee down were on fire. Was covered in ants, which turned out to be fire ants. I hosed them off and took Benadryl to stop the burning as much as possible, and rubbed with alcohol.

It worried me that once the fence was up and Sir Moose was free, he could lay down and then nasty things all over him. I never felt them on feet and legs. I have since learned that most of the time you do not feel them. One bites and that sends a scent that makes all the rest bite at the same time. Hence the sudden stinging all over feet and legs. We went to WalMart to get fire ant killer--their garden center is now the Christmas Store. They had quite a bit of damage and are not fully open yet. And Lowes had so much damage they will not be open until mid Nov. Both of thee store are 5 miles from us and right across the street fro each other. My legs looked just like my feet--like my boys when they hd chicken pox.

I put Sevin Dust out in hopes of running them off. I certainly do not want Sir Moose to end up looking like I was looking last weekend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3991.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	9192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3992.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	9193
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

Ouch!!! Definitely don't want Sir Moose laying on an ant hill!!! Hope you can eradicate them and that you're feeling better!