Current Great Pyrenees Owner

baron`s Photos

Default Puppy at 12 Weeks

I got my Baron around a month ago and he is one active puppy and gets a lot of walks. My only worry is that he seems skinny and comparing him to other puppy pyrs I see on the site and online his fur is less thicker. He also doesn't eat as much and is currently weighing at 16lbs at 12 weeks while I notice most would be around 20-30 lbs at this stage. Is this just depends on the dog? My Vet didn't say much when I brought Baron to update his vaccinations and deworming.

Currently the food he has is Fromm Family Gold Large Puppy Food and he eats about 1 cup of it 3 times a day. Any suggestions? Should I be worried? Should I go to a different vet for a second opinion? I love my Baron a lot and I would do anything to make sure he is healthy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

If Baron is eating & drinking, and putting on weight....even slowly...

If he loves to play, has energy & seems like a normal healthy puppy....

And! Your vet is not concerned....relax, let him gain weight at his own pace....thinner & leaner is better for these large
    boned dogs...slow steady weight gain is best.

Rudy topped out at 74 pounds by the time he was 2 1/2....he's maintained that weight ever since...he's 5 now

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Hi baron you're a cutie!!! Welcome Baron's mom, My zech is almost 5 months. He was 5.5lbs at 7weeks.. He was only 21.5 at 12-13 weeks and has steadily gained between 2 and 3 lbs a week, since we've had him. The slow growth is good for these guys, he'll get to be the size he will in his own time.

My guy is not a fluffy as a lot of the pups here and now his adult hair is starting he has weird clumps and lines of hair everywhere, but his neck hair is so long it is already covering his collar. Puppy coats grow out and adult coats come in in phases so it may be a couple years before you see his true adult coat... My badger marked guy's face was almost black when I got him and it's softening to ginger cream and grey so fast.

I recommend taking lots of pictures because it all goes by so fast, and sharing the pictures too!! LOL we love puppy pictures!!!

If he is playing, driving you nuts, being sweet one second and naughty the next you know he's doing just fine and being a healthy pup no matter what this weeks weight is. Keep hugging him like that in your avatar and you guys will do great together!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Is this just depends on the dog?
    Yep, that.

Baron is eating adequate amount at 3 cups a day. Fromm is a top quality food so he's getting enough nutrition. I was lucky to get 3 cups into Ren at the same age. Like you, I was giving Ren a cup 3 times a day but he would leave kibbles behind. He averaged about 2 to 2.5 cups a day. At 4 months, Ren was eating 3 cups a day split into 2 feedings. He started eating about 4 cups a day at about 5-6 months. He just turned a year old and he's still at about 4 cups a day.

The last thing you want to do is to encourage faster growth. That is VERY BAD for them. It can bring on a variety of painful structural issues. You want to keep his body condition where he's not fat and not so bony where you can count his ribs. I've always made sure I could feel Ren's ribs as I run my hand along his side without having to press down.

Baron will grow to the size his genetics are programmed to. As long as he is bright and happy and is in good body condition, you've done your job.

baron`s Photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baron on Walk.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	9181

thank you for all the feedback! this lessen my worries a bit. Has anyone had issues with heart beats? like beating too fast or anything like that?

Jewel`s Photos

It is not unusual for pups to have high respiratory rate in their first year. They tend to get hot more so than cold. Many people find their pups won't sleep in dog beds and prefer a cooler surfaces in that first year.

baron`s Photos

Thank you so much for the help! It eased my worries by a lot!