Young Dawg (Member) kcphilaflyer's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default What age did they get full run of the house?

Zeke is pushing 10 months old now, only spends an hour or two a day max in his house as he gets to go to work with my wife, but we still haven't left him out yet when we're both gone.

If I'm working in the back yard and my wife is gone, I'll let him roam around freely and there have been zero incidents.

Just curious when others started letting their pups have free reign of the house and if there was any special process to start off with.

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I think it really depends on the dog. I was able to leave Sebastian unconfined for a few hours at a time when he was a mere 7 months old. For a whole lot of dogs, that would be waaaaaaay too soon, but Sebastian absolutely hated being confined indoors, and for him, destructive behavior was only fun when I was there to react to it.

Chester, on the other hand, is 4, and still has to be crated every time I leave. He occasionally still freaks out when Im in the shower and finds something of mine to destroy. It should be noted that Chester has 0% LGD in his breed mix.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I agree with "it depends on the dog." Ru was trustworthy at 6 months and Tyro is going to be turning 4 this month and is still not trustworthy...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

we started letting Kali have free run of just the downstairs when left home with her 9 y.o. Golden Retriever brother at 10 months. They mostly slept or just layed around. Funny, they play hard and wrestle only when we are home to watch, otherwise they are good together. At 11 months we started letting Kali roam the whole house at night when we are sleeping. She usually just sleeps next to our bed, but does get up and wanders occasionally, but always comes back to the bedside to finish the night.

We have been pleased with her behavior so far. There was a time I didn't trust her outside of her crate. I guess eventually they all do grow up!

Jewel`s Photos

We got our first pyr when she was 10 months. Before coming to us for 6 months she lived with a gaggle of assorted border collies on a ranch. We gave her free run of the house when we got her.

The next one Bro was given free run of the house at 6 months.

Bijou... she was a total different story. She was a very difficult pup, as in always getting in trouble. She was crated when we went out until she turned 2 years old.

The current pup Ren (Bijou's nephew), was allowed to sleep out of his crate at 6 months.

Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Yup, totally depends on the dog. Kora is now 7 months, and is 99% trustworthy left alone, 99% because she found a sock that was inside a shoe the other day and decided that it was ok to chew up, but at least it was just the sock and not the whole shoe!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Kit had free run of the house around 5 or 6 months. She has only eaten my MacBook charger and that was it. She did have a few accidents back then and even now at 10 months. She is pretty trustworthy when it comes to destruction. She likes to carry shoes around the house and move them around without eating them. I would not trust either of my 2 large dogs outside. They really love digging and can be quite destructive. If you turn your back for 5 min, youd get a Kit size hole. The weird thing is the doodle digs even more than Kit. The doodle is 1.5 years and goes nuts outside.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Zech has never been crated. Most of my house is puppy safe, I don't believe anything I have is puppy proof at his age... he has full run of the house since day 1, he was about 6 weeks old or so just weaned.
    He is blocked from the cat box area, and gated out of our back room where we have all the non puppy safe stuff stored there anyway like tools, bikes, canning supplies, decorations.

day 1 he slept in the laundry room by the food and water, day 2-4 he slept in the living room with Kodimay near her and her bed. By day 5 he was sleeping under our bed and has to date. He is almost unable to fit so he's stealing Kodi's bed at night some and she is sleeping like a baby on his Giant orthopedic bed LOL.

THAT being said we are in a unique position to raise him hubby and I have 1 car, have our own business, no employees, no kids and are together 24/7/365 except for errands and personal activities. Zech has gone with us to work every day we have. He is learning more to respect things and what is acceptable or not, by living that way and constant input.

We leave him and kodi alone for a few hours at a time now with run of the house and really have had no issues. He'll steal shoes if we leave them down and like Snow said of her beauty; he moves them to Kodi's bed and piles them up, but he doesn't chew them... and we try really hard not to set him up somehow to "fail" when we do leave him.

Except for the first rain storms he's experienced just a bit ago, he has not had an accident, or deliberate potty, in the house or work in about 4 weeks. He can stay in the car while we run errands in the back hammocked area and behaves great. He has those psycho puppy play episodes, and we try to make sure we aren't in that mode when we want to leave him, I know when he's like that that he'll mouth bite chew anything, dig at anything, and be too hyper for car or house.
    So I can trust him at times and am learning when I can't and in between the two we are learning good habits... Hopefully
    We are only approaching 5 months the best is yet to come....