Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Zech's Mom`s Photos

remysmomma, welcome to you all!! some great advice below and all over this forum, My baby is not yet 5 months but the puppy biting is getting better. All the advice here has helped me a ton; but those baby teeth were so brutal and I have to say Sebastian's mom has the right description... my forearms and feet looked like I took up competitive cat bathing! it was July when I got him and too hot for long sleeves and closed toe shoes for me.

He's losing the puppy teeth but the mouthing is still not so fun sometimes, when he gets his normal walks and energy drains he doesn't mouth the same... 3-4 days of rain and not enough exercise and he's a house shark....
    he is growing and changing so fast every day seems different, though those days of thinking OMGosh he's never going to stop biting what do I do?? are further between and the days of being proud of him being so good are more frequent.
    He really only does that psycho biting thing to me and hubby now.
    just 3 days ago I was bending down with him with his paws on my shoulder snuggling, he is such a sweetie floof ball, and something outside made a loud noise, I moved one way he another and bam one of his last 2 puppy canines went into my cheek. they are so sharp and we weren't even playing.... Sigh they are so sharp...
    be lovingly consistent about how you handle it, be persistent and patient and before you know you'll be looking back and realize puppyhood went so fast.. cheers!

BTW she is a Gorgeous Baby!! Love her face!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo was also horrible with the puppy biting. We used distraction, redirection, yelping in pain (mostly real) we used the kisses command after a lot of training and the a fore mentioned things. The kisses command helped a lot, however when he started lunging for my face, I resorted to the squirt bottle. That was reserved for truly bad things. Facial attacks, refusing to stop after 3 re-directions etc. Was not used for minor stuff, like barking, or running around like a lunatic. I also used a flirt pole, not as a training aide but as a way to drain his energy. That was likely the most useful thing to helping with the biting issue. A tired puppy is a good puppy! You can buy the flirt pole fairly cheap, but we made one using an old mop handle, para-cord and a thick rope toy. You encourage them to chase the toy dangling on the rope, allowing them to "catch" it often, Apollo would chew, shake and generally abuse the rope toy before having to give chase to get to it again.

They do grow out of this stage, not soon enough though. I do remember being in tears at points because I just couldn't make him stop, and then I would put him in time out more to get myself together than to punish him. When in a time out for biting I always gave him something to chew, we would buy the cheap dollar rope toys soak them in water and freeze, as I recall we had about 5 to 6 always in the freezer, we also had Yak milk bones, antlers and also the big pacifier kong, That i would fill about 3/4's of the way with kibble, then cap it off with cream cheese and freeze. Patience, consistency, patience, redirection, patience, patience, patience are the key.

In the end he will grow out of it and be a lovable dog.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Since you mentioned cat, a great cat toy that works well on puppies is the red laser. All of my dogs goes nuts over it. I think it is a lot of fun! It is also a great way for your dog to exercise while you stay put.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Since you mentioned cat, a great cat toy that works well on puppies is the red laser. All of my dogs goes nuts over it. I think it is a lot of fun! It is also a great way for your dog to exercise while you stay put.
    Have to add a word of caution about dogs and laser toys. Some dogs don't do well with the laser and end up becoming hypersensitive and obsessed with shadows, reflections and spots of light. I know there are plenty of folks that use it with no problems but there are enough dogs that have developed serious issues from laser use to make me concerned about the potential dangers. Know someone who had this problem. The dog was a danger to itself, constantly injuring itself in its efforts to catch an elusive shadow... Heartbreaking. Genetics? How their brains are wired? I don't know, but it was too sad for words.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Have to add a word of caution about dogs and laser toys. Some dogs don't do well with the laser and end up becoming hypersensitive and obsessed with shadows, reflections and spots of light. I know there are plenty of folks that use it with no problems but there are enough dogs that have developed serious issues from laser use to make me concerned about the potential dangers. Know someone who had this problem. The dog was a danger to itself, constantly injuring itself in its efforts to catch an elusive shadow... Heartbreaking. Genetics? How their brains are wired? I don't know, but it was too sad for words.
    I have hard wood floors and was always concerned with the dog slipping on the floor. Now we know that Apollo has good hips, but as a pup we had no way of knowing and I was very afraid that we could unwittingly do damage. Not to mention Apollo is about 120 pounds and Roxy is 60 pounds, I have no interest in them playing in the house that way. Running after a moving light is a great way to break my stuff and that just doesn't seem good to me. We worked very hard on teaching Apollo that vigorous play belongs outside in the yard and not in the house. Not to mention I did reward based training. As they are never able to catch the laser there is no reward. The flirt pole however they get the reward of getting the rope and abusing it. Just my opinion of course, but I have a soft spot for that flirt pole. That was by far the best thing that ever happened when Apollo was a puppy. For sure saved my sanity and my skin.

Sami's Nana`s Photos

Glad I found this thread today. I was starting to question whether or not we made a mistake in thinking we could train this dog. Sami gets so excited sometimes that he jumps in the air to nip/bite and does a lot of damage. My hands and forearms also look like i bathed a cat, or maybe a leopard. Nothing has worked for long, so I am eager to try the peanut butter method and the flirt pole. It rains a lot here in winter and not looking forward to being cooped up with the house shark. We are also having problems with house-training. Seems like it's often 1 step forward, then 2 steps back. He has taken to peeing while he is looking right at me as if a dare. I've been putting him outside when he does this and wonder if this is his sneaky way of going outside when he wants. Hmm.

baron`s Photos

My Baron is pretty hyper active too!! He likes attention and since there are 5 of us in the Family he's always happy and would like to play with you at all times. It gets tiring and I've been trying the "Ouch!" method and the Chew Toy Method but It hasn't really been doing any changes. Will try the peanut butter next and hopefully it works out! I'm a bit scared that it might grow into a habit and he'll try to bite others when they are trying to pet or play with him. But I love my puppy so I will keep on training him to my very best!!