Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,396
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default Muzzle to prevent post-surgery licking?

    Anyone have experience using a muzzle as opposed to a cone to prevent wound licking/biting post-surgery? Sadly, Tyro is needing to have a repeat of paw surgery on Friday and I am rather desperate to come up with better management for his licking obsession... He's been trained to wear a soft mesh muzzle for nail trims (due to paw hypersensitivity after the first surgery) and has no problem with it. I'm thinking his stress level in general might be less during his recovery if he is not visually hampered by the dreaded cone. Besides the fact that the last time he repeatedly managed to smash it into things so he could get at his paw...

    @Zech's Mom, you can be sure that this event and all that goes with it will be ALL mommy's fault!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	9147

  2. #2
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Jewel's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,527
      Jewel`s Photos

    Default

    The point is they have to be kept from disturbing the surgical site and preferably with the least amount of stress. If you think the muzzle is actually not going to be as stressful to him as a cone would be, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. I should add that i say this because I know Tyro isn't left without anybody having eyes on him for prolonged periods of time so safety is not as a big concern with his particular home situation.

  3. #3
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waterford, California
    Posts
    6,369
      Tsunibear`s Photos

    Default

    In my personal experience dogs can still lick wearing a muzzle. The point of a muzzle is to stop the dog from opening their mouths wide enough to bite not to stop them for licking. I have seen dogs drink water wearing a soft muzzle so I don't know if it will actually help or not.

  4. #4
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,396
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    In my personal experience dogs can still lick wearing a muzzle. The point of a muzzle is to stop the dog from opening their mouths wide enough to bite not to stop them for licking. I have seen dogs drink water wearing a soft muzzle so I don't know if it will actually help or not.
    Tsuni, from what I can figure out, a soft muzzle allows them to slobber through it. In my research I saw that you can get what's called a "stool guard" to put on the end of the muzzle to prevent kenneled dogs from eating their poo. Not really an issue here but it does look like the guard would prevent his tongue from going in and out but still allow his mouth to open freely so he could be taken on drives when the girls take their morning run, etc without mommy having a meltdown from trying to keep Ru within view and Tyro from taking his stitches out!

  5. #5
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,396
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I should add that i say this because I know Tyro isn't left without anybody having eyes on him for prolonged periods of time so safety is not as a big concern with his particular home situation.
    Very good point. Tyro is rarely alone as it is and would not be alone when muzzled other than me running to a different room in the house or stepping into the kitchen from the back yard. I am thinking the muzzle might help him when he's around Lily and Ru, outside with me, etc. I would likely put the cone on him at night since he would (hopefully!) be sleeping and I'd wake up if he was pushing it into things.

  6. #6
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bristol,Tn
    Posts
    1,543
      Christi`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Very good point. Tyro is rarely alone as it is and would not be alone when muzzled other than me running to a different room in the house or stepping into the kitchen from the back yard. I am thinking the muzzle might help him when he's around Lily and Ru, outside with me, etc. I would likely put the cone on him at night since he would (hopefully!) be sleeping and I'd wake up if he was pushing it into things.

    I remember someone mentioning using pool noodles in place of a cone. May have been Tsuni, they would be softer and you may not have to totally cover his head with them, when Apollo was neutered we tried that inflatable collar, and resorted to putting boxers on him so he wasn't having panic attacks about the cone, but not able to get to his stitches. The inflatable one may work for you, for me, Roxy popped it while playing around with Apollo on day 2. I hope his surgery goes well and you find a good solution to keeping him away from his stitches.

  7. #7
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) FourAtThree's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Shamong, NJ USA
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I've had success with doubling up athletic socks and slipping doggie booties over them. Our GSD had severe hip displaysia so wearing "socks and shoes" when he went outdoors became mandatory for his well being and safety. I also had a pair for indoors that he would wear if needed to keep him from scratching something or if a nail was too worn down and the quick would weep or bleed. I know Tyro is quite large so I'm not sure if they make/sell doggie booties in his size, but my guy had big feet and the XL fit him nicely.

    I've also had success using a neck rest during daytime hours in lieu of the cone.

    Although my boy earned the reputation of "man eater" he was quite easy going while chillin at home with his peeps and never really bothered to shake off or otherwise attempt to remove his paw-wear or neck rest.

  8. #8
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    76
      Zech's Mom`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Anyone have experience using a muzzle as opposed to a cone to prevent wound licking/biting post-surgery? Sadly, Tyro is needing to have a repeat of paw surgery on Friday and I am rather desperate to come up with better management for his licking obsession... He's been trained to wear a soft mesh muzzle for nail trims (due to paw hypersensitivity after the first surgery) and has no problem with it. I'm thinking his stress level in general might be less during his recovery if he is not visually hampered by the dreaded cone. Besides the fact that the last time he repeatedly managed to smash it into things so he could get at his paw...

    @Zech's Mom, you can be sure that this event and all that goes with it will be ALL mommy's fault!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	9147
    Antonia, I literally snorted laughing reading this this AM LOL That is so true.. That look on Tyro's face; it is pointing that blame....

    OMGosh my boy is only 4 months+ old and right? I am going to be blamed for everything that goes wrong in his universe.... Sigh I love him that much though... BUT My Hubby has this same affliction and it's been like 20 years???? GRIN......

  9. #9
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,396
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FourAtThree View Post
    I've had success with doubling up athletic socks and slipping doggie booties over them. Our GSD had severe hip displaysia so wearing "socks and shoes" when he went outdoors became mandatory for his well being and safety. I also had a pair for indoors that he would wear if needed to keep him from scratching something or if a nail was too worn down and the quick would weep or bleed. I know Tyro is quite large so I'm not sure if they make/sell doggie booties in his size, but my guy had big feet and the XL fit him nicely.

    I've also had success using a neck rest during daytime hours in lieu of the cone.

    Although my boy earned the reputation of "man eater" he was quite easy going while chillin at home with his peeps and never really bothered to shake off or otherwise attempt to remove his paw-wear or neck rest.
    Tyro wore cotton athletic socks quite a bit after his previous surgery. They worked really well after he'd reached a certain point of healing and wasn't so obsessed about his boo boo... I secured them at the top with vet wrap. He has boots, but as you can imagine, his paws push the outer limits of doggy boot manufacturers and he can only wear a thin baby sock inside his boots. After his last paw surgery his paws were too swollen to fit in his boots. Really hoping this surgery will not be as bad but hard to say until she gets in there and sees what she has to do...

    Tyro has CHD but is currently wearing his boots for paw protection and not for that. I've taken to just putting his front boots on because the nails on his back paws drag when he walks and the dragging rubber toe cap seemed to bother him. I was afraid it was increasing his pain level. He will happily wear baby socks with rubber grip on the bottom but that obviously only works inside here in the desert!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	080.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	9151

  10. #10
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,396
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zech's Mom View Post
    Antonia, I literally snorted laughing reading this this AM LOL That is so true.. That look on Tyro's face; it is pointing that blame....

    OMGosh my boy is only 4 months+ old and right? I am going to be blamed for everything that goes wrong in his universe.... Sigh I love him that much though... BUT My Hubby has this same affliction and it's been like 20 years???? GRIN......
    Well, sounds like you are a seasoned veteran at this point and you should have no worries with Zech. Hubby has trained you well and Tyro is working on training me well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003 (2).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	9152

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •