Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Sitting Kit

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Pet Sitting Kit

Pet sitting Kit was........a terror! We left our pets and Kit with my dad because we were gone for 3 days. My dad said I should consider looking for a new home for Kit. He said she had diarrhea all over my home and pee everywhere. Apparently, she never peed or pooed outside and jumped all over him. I should probably mention that for some reason, Kit goes nuts when she sees my dad. It is ONLY my dad! Everytime she sees him, shegets overexcited and jumps on him to give him a drooly kiss. In retrospect, it was a terrible choice to have him look after her becuase everytime she sees him, she gets too excited to pee or poo. This is probably why she went indoors. He also complained that she had a tantrum while on a walk. She tried to jump on someone and almost knocked them off the stairs. My dad thinks she is a legal liability and we need a better trainer. I feel like he has not had any big adolescent dogs. Aren't they all a bit nuts? Our previous neighbor's lab puppies were way more insane. They were very mouthy, knocked me over a few times, and chewed on my head...yep one literarlly tried to eat my face. My mother in law's adolescent lab was the same way. He used to jump, hump, bark me everytime I visited and ate her samsung phone.

Kit has not had any accidents since we got home two days ago. You have to know that her signal is barking or pawing. That is her way to let you know she needs to go out. Since my dad didn't live here while we were gone, he could not keep up with her signals. Yes.. our floor is super sticky right now even after steam moping it five times. My dad said my other three dogs were really well behaved and had no problems but Kit is a little terror. Was she that bad? I mean nothing is really destroyed.

ETA: My husband said Kit developed a new habit that is scary during walks. She has been mouthing him on the pants area to play with him. Unfortunately, sometimes she is mouthing in the groin area. My dad never said anything about this but this might explain why he was so upset. LOL My husband wanted to know if there is anything he could do to stop her. She does not respond to "NO" and he can't fake cry when they are in public. I told him to just ignore her until she calmed down. He was wondering if there was better advice? My response was that I am very happy I am a woman. LOL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Been there. At several times during Sebastian’s adolescence, my Mom tried to talk me into returning Sebastian to his rescue. I was having none of that crazy talk. Now, my Mom actually seems to like both him and Chester. She was initially against me keeping Chester, too.

Kit is going through a phase that training alone isn’t going to “fix”. Yes, absolutely, keep working on training, but listen to what she is telling you. I had to find the “sweet spot” between being too strict and too lenient with Sebastian to get him to be even a little cooperative. We did NILIF, but only with treats. During walks, I let him decide if he was going to walk with me or in front of me. We did work on training sessions, but I tried not to overdo it - he got bored easily, and a bored Sebastian in training sessions was a frustrated Sebastian. Frustrated Sebastian was the most unruly of all.

Sebastian used to love to bite me in the behind - to the point that he ripped a giant hole in the seat of my favorite pair of jeans - while I was wearing them (can’t make this stuff up). If Kit will respond to being squirted with a water gun or spray bottle when she tries to go for your husband’s business, that might be a good thing for him to carry with him. However, I would make sure that he 1) saves the water bottle for when he really needs it, and 2) only use it in that specific circumstance. During Sebastian’s butt-biting days, I also found it helpful to protect myself with a long coat or jacket on walks - a solution that might not be so practical in Central Florida this time of year, but may help in a month or two.

Once she goes through her first season and can be spayed, I would look into trying to find a good daycare to take her to every so often. That way, if you need to go out of town again, you can board her there, and it will feel like a vacation for her. If your Dad is willing, he can stay with your other kiddos. Before my two turned into jerks, I had an awesome place I would take them to, and when they got to stay overnight (or for several nights), they were sad when they had to come home. They were also tired, which was nice for me.

One final thing, and this is one that I had a hard time remembering, Kit and Lucky are at the opposite ends of the “Easy Pet” spectrum. Lucky comes from two long lines of dogs who were selected for intelligence, resilience, obedience, companionship, and biddability, among other traits. Kit comes from two long lines of dogs who were selected for a completely different type of intelligence, the ability to think for herself and make decisions without pesky humans getting in the way, the ability to bond with and protect her flock, and the courage to do battle with predators, if necessary. Thousands and thousands of years separate Kit’s lines from Lucky’s. You can easily drive yourself crazy trying to compare Kit’s training accomplishments with Lucky’s. I know I drove myself crazy trying to compare Sebastian to the other dogs I’ve trained. A big part of me thought that I was the problem until Chester came along.

You will get through this. If I could, you totally can. If you haven’t delved into the magical world of Patricia McConnell books, yet, now might be a good time. They won’t help you solve adolescence, but they will help you understand Kit, and reinforce what you already know, which is that you know more about this than your Dad right now. I’m not knocking your Dad, by any means. He’s a physician, so he has to be smart, he’s just never lived with an LGD adolescent before. You are, and you are learning every day, whether you know it or not!

When you’re done reading Patricia McConnell books, make sure your husband reads them, too, especially The Other End of the Leash, and For the Love of a Dog. They might help him catch micro expressions on Kit’s face that could indicate that she’s in a bitey mood. Sebastian a.ways got an indescribable glimmer in his eye before launching into Kill Mommy.

Big hugs. This, too, shall pass. Not soon enough, but it will.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you so much! Thanks for understanding what I am going through. I lament the days when I was like look how well behaved she was until she hit 6 months. Adolescent Kit is a little terror. Now I get nervous whenever a guy passes. She really enjoys sniffing and pawing people in the crotch....and now I have to add mouthing to that list too. LOL.

Kit is very cuddly, which Lucky is not. Lucky is like a cat dog and hangs by himself ever since the day I got him. We got Lucky not long after Sahara passed. Sahara was independent but followed me everywhere, so I missed a clingy large sidekick. That was the reason we put down a deposit for Kit. I had alway dreamed of a dog that loved cuddling but the reality is a bit different becuase it is like getting smooshed to death by love and cuddles. I need to read Patricia

Need some serious help with the sticky floors: I've tried the following with my steam mop:
    1. Vinegar and water
    2. steam water
    3. Pine Sol
    4. Holloway hardwood floor cleaner
    5. Joy dish soap and water

Nothing works and it is getting worse because it is spread all over the floor. It literally feels like there is a layer of goo benethe your feet and both of us got so tired of cleaning it without success. Kit has also been shedding a lot so it is goo of "you know what" and cleaner plus lots of white tumble weeds. Our solution so far:we used our old ikea area rug to cover the stickiest part of the floor. I know ...I know ...not a permanent solution. I need to read Patricia McConnell's books so I can feel better.

With the floors, try an enzymatic cleaner. My favorite is Simple Green Bio Dog, which I used to get at Petco. Check the bottle and make sure that it is safe for wood floors, and then do a test in an inconspicuous spot before using it all over. The enzymes will break down the residue.

I was lucky that Sebastian never went through the “good puppy” phase. He was an adorable little monster from day one. Adolescence was brutal at our house, but I was not surprised for a second by his atrocious behavior. Once I found this forum, it quickly became my support group. It’s hard to grasp how hard LGD adolescence can be until you’ve been there.

Jewel`s Photos

Not sure what the problem is? Kits sounds pretty normal??

Let's see... adolescent Bijou once jumped and planted her feet so hard on my very petite human friend that I was certain my friend had two paw shaped bruises on her chest... I had a fist fight with adolescent Ren last week in the rain because he decided he wanted to play Kill Mommy on the sidewalk slick with rain... Bijou's signal to go potty was a sideway's glance at you when she walked by, if you didn't catch that, she had no issues going right in the back room... Bijou once pulled down my pants in agility class because she felt unsure about the class... last week Ren dug up a dirty disgusting bone in the backyard and then brought it inside and "re-buried" it under my husband's pillow... also last week we gave Ren a beef trachea and later found a half eaten trachea shoved in the corner of our leather couch...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo was a terror during adolescence. He was mouthy, unruly, excessively barky, and "forgot" his training constantly. He used to be fairly cuddly, but as an adult he is not. Maybe once a month he decides to lower his dignity and crawl into my bed for a cuddle. The cuddling is on his terms though. He lays against my legs and licks my feet. I am not, however, allowed to pet him. If I try he gives me stinkface and leaves.

Apollo didn't destroy things, he prefered the feel of human flesh, and my husband has the scars to prove it. I used a squirt bottle to great effect with the biting and chewing. He bit me in the face once and I took on the squirt bottle immediately. He was difficult till around he turned 2 1/2 and now he is basically a fuzzy speed bump.

I honestly think you should consider that the way you describe Sahara she was not the typical LGD at all. Kit will likely not behave that way.

I missed why your floors are so sticky so I am unsure what to suggest.

snow0160`s Photos

I have never owned another adolescent large dog other than Lucky who was a breeze. My small dogs were also very easy. Are other breeds also difficult? I get the feeling that all retrievers are a challenge. I asked poodle forum about other poodles and It seems like many poodles can be difficult. Everyone seems to think LGDs are particularly hard due the time it takes for them to mature. What do you guys think?

For me, it wasn’t the length of Sebastian’s adolescence that was so exhausting, it was his attitude throughout. He refused to be corrected. If I tried to push him off during Kill Mommy, he took that as an invitation to come back even harder. If I yelled at him for peeing on the carpet, he just gave me a dirty look and kept right on peeing. Any thing that seemed intuitive to me to help improve his behavior just ended up backfiring spectacularly. It didn’t help that the first two trainer we worked with completely failed to grasp that concept. They both kept pressuring me to “get my dangerous dog under control before he hurt someone”, but offered no insight as to how to go about the process. They both operated under the erroneous belief that a dog is a dog is a dog, and they all train the same. Sebastian was proof to the contrary.

Chester is believed to be part Lab. He came to live with us as an adolescent, and was essentially fed but feral. The first time I met Chester, he had no idea what a cookie was. Seriously. For the first few weeks with us, he was so nervous about being inside that he paced back and forth in front of the couch dragging his back along the front edge of it to mark his scent on it. He also marked it in other ways, but...

Chester had (and still has) his own set of problems, but in terms of adolescence, he was a breeze compared to Sebastian. Why? For the most part, he actually cared what I thought about his behavior. When I yelled at him for peeing on the couch, he was contrite. He actually cared that I was not pleased with his behavior, and he subscribed to the theory that, “When Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”. Sebastian, on the other hand seemed to be on a daily mission to push my buttons. He derived such glee from making me cry. I wish that were an exaggeration.

When it comes to Mattie and Mamie, the Poodles we had growing up, there certainly were behaviors that we were thrilled to see them outgrow. They were very smart, and had a talent for pulling mischief out of thin air, but like Chester, they knew their limits. Sebastian had no limits.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

OK Nothing but love for your guys... otherwise I would say you are scaring the pants off me ( Really Jewel in class???? OMG flat out funny ,not funny) and Sebastians mom, Butt Biting? water guns? that is all so adolescent and REALLY things can get that creative???
    I am glad Hubby and I have great sense of humors and well I know where to come for advice and commiserations, when zech hits his teens.... LOVE for all you guys for what you do for your 4 footed families and being here for your 2 footed forum community too!

snow0160`s Photos

Hooray the spray bottle worked for a shrort period. Our home still smells terrible and we won’t be having guests for a while. We tried an enzyme cleaner. Kit is just ramping up the annoyance and driving me a little nuts since coming back from my trip. She is wild in the morning and will jump on the couch. If we don’t let them play in the yard or take them for a walk she will bark or paw at me unil she gets attention. This is hard in the mornings because I am afraid she will wake the neighbors, who can hear us well. She starts her high pitch whining bark at around 6 am to go potty. Then after potty she starts jumping on the sofa with her wet paws. Lucky has also been nutty lately. They are partners in crime. When they play it is getting very intense. I brought them to the dog park super early in the morning and they were rolling and bouncing off each other. This dude had to call his dog back because they looked scary insane when I first let them off leash. I do want to say they ONLY play rough with each other and never other dogs. I worry their body slam play will knock out a tooth. They seem to have very little interest in other dogs even at the park. My only regret is that our floor is still sticky and they are tracking in sand from the dog park from rolling around in the lake. My home is like that beach house from Friends. I really am considering getting maid service but am too embarrassed to even have a maid come to my home. Kit is also blowing her coat now that it is fall. My home is so gross, I can’t take it anymore!