Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Kit the Master Manipulator

Kit is a very social dog and nothing excites her more than a pat on the head. When we take her to the dog park, she will walk from group to group of PEOPLE not dogs. If these people don't come to her she will go towards them. Anyone who gives her the slightest attention ie smile, eye contact, or even body gestures, she starts moving towards that person. Since she knows not to jump on people she will literally go underneath that person's hands. If they don't pet her, she will position herself so they touch the top of her head. Usually, the person will then begin petting her and she starts leaning in. If the person is really into her she leans in and rolls over. Once the person is done petting her she looks for the cluster of people for a petting. Sometimes, if there is a person on the other side of the fence, she will bark at them, smile and then make them come over. I've seen her do this repeatedly and everyone falls for her trap. LOL She enjoys being center of attention pariticulary center of attention for people.

This is interesting because she is an LGD whereas we have a Goldendoodle that is a hermit. He does not care for people and enjoys being by himself even before we got Kit. You figure the "family" friendly breed would love people but he doesn't seem to care. Lucky enjoys dogs more than people and Kit loves people more than dogs. She is a giant ham and loves little kids. Whenever we go on a walk, she gets super excited by the swarm of children. When she has 10 tiny hands petting her, I swear the expression on her face is ecstasy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

It is interesting to see the individualism you get in the different breeds. My Ru is 100% spot-on in temperament for the Kangal breed. She is sweet, sweet and will wag her tail and allow anyone to pet her but is pretty aloof with people unless that are HER people. She fits the breed description to a T. Tyro, on the other hand, loves people so much that he almost loses his mind with excitement when he is around them. He can barely contain his enthusiasm for people and thinks the vet's waiting room is a place where people congregate to welcome him and give him attention. They could not be more opposite.

Lily is a very unusual mix of fierce guardian by night and feather-soft temperament by day. She is so sensitive that she'll hit the ground belly up if you were to raise your voice at her or even look at her wrong. Yet, she rules the other two in a completely non-confrontational manner and seemingly without them realizing what happened. She is very submissive with people and cautious with men but then will pursue people to keep her head pressed on them to be sure they continue petting her. Talk about manipulation! Never saw such a soft-tempered dog that was so good at getting what she wants! The love of children seems to be something that my three share equally.

Jewel`s Photos

As Ren matures, he is becoming less of an attention seeker. When he was tiny, he was an attention junkie; he would throw a fit if he didn't get to meet everyone person he came across. Now at a year old, he's fine with getting attention from humans of all size and age, but he isn't always interested in interacting with them. He lets children pet him, hug him and crowd around him but he usually doesn't make an effort to go seek them out.

The hermit side of Lucky sounds maybe more like the poodle side. Of the poodles friends that we have, a good number of them aren't all that attention oriented.

snow0160`s Photos

Our previous Maremma sounds like the stereotypical LGD. She only liked people that we introduce her to and will guard our property. She hated strangers of all sizes big and small. She particularly distrusted men. My husband has been calling Kit by our old dogs name because they are starting to look similar particularly as Kit got older. It freaks me out because they are nothing a like other than how they look. Sahara was dignified, loyal, aloof, and obedient. Kit is clownish, supremely friendly, dramatic, and not obedient. I didn't have Sahara as a puppy so I wonder if she was like this but I don't think Sahara was ever not magistic and not dignified. If they were characters from the same cartoon, Kit would be Bart Simpson and Sahara would be like Marge Simpson.
    As a puppy, Kit liked people but people really flocked to her and she didn't have to work so hard. Now at almost 10 months, she is nuttier when it comes to people. She is obsessed with getting people's attention. She will pull super hard when she wants someone's attention. A few days ago, I walked her in a busy restruant row and she yanked so hard at this guy who had a doodle that looked identical to Lucky that I had to hold her down with my whole body. It was immensely embarrassing because I was dragged down the street like a ragdoll and clearly having issues containing my exciting oversized puppy. The guy pointed at me and laughed super hard with his very well behaved doodle. When we got very close he told me good luck. ARGG!!! I was going to say my doodle is way better behaved than his and this is 100% true. My doodle actually is trained to be my SD and he fetches my phone. I have no idea how Kit is this much harder to train. She used to be much easier and is getting nuttier and more energetic by the day. My mom loves hearing Kit stories because it is always funny to hear. She is almost like a cartoon dog.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Kit sounds a lot like Sebastian at that age. He was never a Velcro dog with me, but he sure did love attention from new people, as well as playing with new dogs (whether or not said new dogs wanted to play with him). Even now, he is very interested in meeting new people. When certain people come over, he gets super excited, and “shows off” how fun he is by going crazy playing with Chester. With other people, he loses interest in getting attention once he’s had the chance to sniff them and figure out what they’re about. The losing interest part started at about the age of 2 1/2.

When Sebastian was a puppy, I got a whole lot of side eye and snide remarks about his behavior, too. It took me a while, but I eventually stopped caring what strangers had to say. I constantly had to remind myself that if getting Sebastian to behave had really been as easy as Joe Know-it-all on the street seemed to think, Sebastian would have been a well-behaved dog at that point. There’s a reason why circus poodles are poodles and not Pyrs, and it’s not the haircut.

From what you describe, I really don’t see Sahara as being all that stereotypical of an LGD. Most LGD breeds tend to guard their “flocks” as opposed to their property. They may alert to someone approaching, but they have good judgement in determining friend from foe. The stereotypical LGD is not particularly obedient. They were bred to think for themselves, and make decisions without human interference. The idea of doing something simply because they were asked to is one that’s a bit foreign to them. Dignified? Well, that might be an individual trait...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67922564-6944-4CFC-98D2-1070239DF22A.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	9098

Sebastian can still be quite the clown when he wants to be. He is dramatic, friendly, and not particularly obedient. He’s more cooperative than he was at Kit’s age, but I still have to negotiate with him a lot. Chester is obedient, so it can’t just be my lousy training skills...
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Our old boy, Sir Moose loves attention and he loves people, especially kids. He is great to walk UNLESS he sees somethinghe wants to get after. In our small town brush ispiled up at the edge of the street and when the city "gets around to it" they pick it up, usually about every other month. One time Sir Moose found a possum in a large pile of brush and limbs on the side of the road, and nowhe thinks he has to investigate every pile of brush. Problem s--almost every house in town has a HUGE pile of limbs and debris from Harvey sitting at the street and he has to check every single one out. AND of he picks up a scent, he does not want to leave that pile, but to examine the entire thing, which can be 20 feet long, 10 feet high.
    Jerry and Moose

snow0160`s Photos

We have debris from Irma and thankfully she leaves it alone. My previous maremma did that with bunnies. There is this section of the neighborhood that has many bunnies along the lake and every time we walk by she is like Elmer Fudd. Lol.

Sebastiansmom I have a story for you from yesterday. It is acorn season here in Florida and kit is attempt to eat every acorn she sees. She stops every few min to get one in. I've been fighting pretty hard to stop her including reaching in her mouth to grab it. Acorns has been giving her diarrhea. I took her to our weekend farmers market yesterday and as I waited in line for the tamales food truck people, she took a massive runny brown lake of poo. It immediately cleared out the area. To make things worse, she was freaking out so she ran as she pooed. So yes the area in front of the food truck look like it has been painted with brown streaks of paint. It was awful. Some people laughed and others were horrified. I was pretty mortified and tried my best to clean it up with plastic bags and napkins I got from the food truck.
    That was not the end of it. I've been using the gentle leader on her and she hates the thing on her nose so she has been rubbing on things. So after the diarrhea she is still pretty gross and she has some on her butt but then she goes in to take a mud bath to rub the gentle leader off. It was seriously like a chinchilla bath. I told her no but she is already brown. As I walked back to my car the market was still pretty crowded and she started to rub on other people. I haven't noticed until a dude flinched behind me. I was too busy not making eye contact and carrying my poo bag of shame.

Jewel`s Photos

I don't know that Sahara was that stereotypical of a pyr (can't speak to other LGD breeds as I've not crossed paths with many individuals of other LGD breeds). None of my 3 purebred pyrs were/is like Sahara as you described her.

My first 2 purebred pyrs had little prey drive. Ren chases cats and squirrels but I think that has more to do with his being an only child and needs to find entertainment, as opposed to true prey drive. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't know what to do if he were to catch one. Ren has his moments, but he is overall a laid back, calm dog.

Kit sounds a lot like Bijou when she was that age. I've posted this before about when Bijou was 2, I enrolled her in CGC class. Several weeks into the class, the trainer asked me whether Bijou "always bounded everywhere." It was kind of true, she did actually bound everywhere instead of walking demurely. She didn't mature until she hit 4. I used a head collar with Bijou too as she would jump on everyone within 5 feet of her.

My first pyr was very elegant and beautiful and had a lot of empathy. She connected easily with people; she showed extra sensitivity with the physically challenged, the seniors, and children. She had perfect judgment when meeting and playing with the little humans.

I have to say that Sahara as you described was a whole lot like Bro. Bro was my 1/2 pyr. He was high strung, obedient, loyal, didn't like strangers, especially children, and reactive to big dogs. He also had prey drive.

edit to add: I think it's good that Kit is very different from Sahara. Sahara was very special to you and Kit is too in a very different way.