Thread: Double dew claw

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Double dew claw

Do all Purebred Pyrenees have double dew claw? I met a lady yesterday who said her dog was a Pyr but it didn't have double dew claws. Can some not have it? Her dog looked way too small to be a pyr. It looked like it was 70ish lbs?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

It's a breed fault, but not all Pyrs have double dews. Just like there is nothing wrong with them being 70ish lbs Jewel's Bijou was a smaller Pyr.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

My old dog looked exactly like this dog and this made me think she was a pyr rather than a maremma despite what others have told me. Kit also acts a bit different than adult Sahara but I wonder if it is just different age and personality.

Jewel`s Photos

Ah yes, at maturity, Bijou was about 74 lbs. After she was spayed, she got up to 78 lbs. She was a tad over 26" tall.

I don't know about FL, but here in TX, people can have a dog that look just like a pyr but without the double dews. In TX there are lots of LGDs that interbreed. There are maremmas here too and so sometimes people call them pyrs but they don't have double dews. Thus while a purebred pyr can be born without double dews and that would be a serious breed standard fault, in many cases these pyrs without double dews do not have well documented bloodline and thus it is hard to know if a pyr-look-alike is actually mixed with other LGDs somewhere along the line.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Ah yes, at maturity, Bijou was about 74 lbs. After she was spayed, she got up to 78 lbs. She was a tad over 26" tall.

I don't know about FL, but here in TX, people can have a dog that look just like a pyr but without the double dews. In TX there are lots of LGDs that interbreed. There are maremmas here too and so sometimes people call them pyrs but they don't have double dews. Thus while a purebred pyr can be born without double dews and that would be a serious breed standard fault, in many cases these pyrs without double dews do not have well documented bloodline and thus it is hard to know if a pyr-look-alike is actually mixed with other LGDs somewhere along the line.
    Zechariah's family had a Texas number but said the were local in Denver the day I met them At a neutral public place..
    all the ad said was pyr puppies..
    He has only one back dew claw but I have to say it is so cool they have their own pads too... his front ones are strong and he grips with them holding things... I have never had or known a dog that used them the way he does...
    But I also don't think Zech is going to be over 100lbs as a male either so maybe on the small side too? ( I hope my last 2 pups have been 110 and 130lbs...)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zech's Mom View Post
    Zechariah's family had a Texas number
    You wouldn't happen to remember what part of Texas their number was from, would you?
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    You wouldn't happen to remember what part of Texas their number was from, would you?
    It was a cell phone still on my messages 806 444 **** I responded to that # from the ad and everything else messaged from an e-mail address I have no clue where in texas it would be though...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zech's Mom View Post
    It was a cell phone still on my messages 806 444 **** I responded to that # from the ad and everything else messaged from an e-mail address I have no clue where in texas it would be though...
    Part of me was really really hoping that the area code had been closer to the DFW area, so that I could pretend that Zech and Sebastian were long lost relatives. I mean, I can still pretend, but...

Snow, I'm so sorry I hijacked your thread!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian