Thread: Odd behavior

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Odd behavior

Kit was such a well behaved puppy and trains very easily. She has become a lot more hyper since turning 9 months. She is a lot more energetic and constantly demands attention. She will paw or shrill bark for someone to play with her. I figured this is normal because it is puppy behavior but what is really odd is her behavior around my dad. Everytime she has sees my dad, she becomes a bit nuttier. I can't even tell if some of this is normal or not.

Kit issues:
    1. Insane around my dad
    I mean full on BONKERS! She will lunge/ jump/ paw/ bark at him. I mean this isn't a simple jump up. It is like a scooby doo jump in your lap. She will jump up and does not stop as long as he is in her line of sight. She is never this friendly with our neighbors, friends, or strangers. We don't know what the cause is. My dad does not encourage it but she just goes completely bonkers. Does he smell weird? The only way to get her to stop is if 1. he leaves or 2. He comes close and pets her. When he gives her attention, she will stop barking and lunging and just sits there looking very pleased. We've also taken her to our friend's home and neighbor's place. She does not do this with them. She also behaves well around other dogs. It really is just my dad. Is this like an LGD thing I don't know about?

2. Humping Doodle
    She has started humping Lucky nonstop all the time. Lucky is always trying to hide. I don't think she had her first heat cycle yet since there is no blood so I think this is a play/ dominance issue. She is definitely the boss and even Lucky knows it. I think he just does not like to get humped. Lucky has become very mad at us lately for putting him in the same room as her. He does not protest and becomes her chew toy. He is a very patient and good natured dog. He has never snapped at her but you can tell he is annoyed. Sometimes he just looks sad to be on the same place as Kit. Can't spay her until she comes into heat due to her vulva.

3. Boredom
    I know barking is a common LGD problem but our dog only barks when no one is there to play with her. She will bark, paw, and come sit on you. The worst part is when she jumps and lands on you. When she jumps up she is almost 6 feet tall but only weighs 65lbs. LGDs must have heavy feet because Lucky weighs 55lbs and it doesn't hurt as bad. I think poodles were used for truffle hunting so were bred for soft feet. I don't know why she enjoys sitting on us. I don't think she is trying to dominate us but rather it is her attempt to get our attention becuase she is almost in a play posture. If she sits on you and you don't engage she will start batting your arms and legs. She does this to our pug who is much less tolerant. The pug will snap and Kit will back off. During Hurricane Irma, she barked for 3 solid hours but that is a different bark...it is more like alert barking. Boredom bark is a shrill bark and it seriously rings in my ear and sometimes causes intense headach. We have told her "NO!" but then she will bark back or start pawing at you. Her teenage nuisance behavior is really starting to get on my last nerve. She is not a submissive dog and sometimes does not take no for an answer. Do I just ride this part out? Or is there something I can do?

snow0160`s Photos

4. Jump into lap
    The jumping into my lap thing is killing me. She is really too big to jump on me and sometimes she thinks it is fun to kick. I have giant scratches all over. My husband thinks it is funny because it is a monkey paw wish. She is really playful, snuggly, and friendly.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Remember all those times we warned you about LGD adolescence? This is why.

Unfortunately, everything you describe sounds pretty normal for an adolescent LGD with energy to burn. Your words bring back many traumatic memories of adolescent Sebastian. He was around that age that he invented his own game where if I put him into the back seat of the car, if I tried to get in through the driver's door, he would jump out before I could get in, and then launch into a game of "Ha ha, Lady, you can't catch me".

The one thing that will really help is to get Kit more exercise. If you don't have a fenced in yard, get her to the dog park or daycare (so long as she isn't in heat. Even though he's neutered, you will probably notice Lucky being interested in her when she's in heat. You will need to keep them separated then. Neutered males can tie, and they can injure themselves in the process) as often as you can.

I would also start her on NILIF if you haven't already, and go more strict with it if you have.

The next thing I would do, and this one is important, is I would step in and protect Lucky when she is annoying him. The best way to keep him from defending himself against her, which could get ugly very quickly, is to let them both know that you have Licky's back, and won't tolerate Kit terrorizing him. I have to defend Sebastian against turbo Chester regularly. Of course, Chester is also a very biddable dog, so Kit may be more of a challenge.

As for your Dad, I would try keeping her on a leash and shaping calm behavior when he's around. Sebastian is crazy about my nephews, and he was two before he could be around them off leash. He just got overly excited around them, and didn't know his own strength.

In the words of the Dalai Lama, this, too, shall pass. It will seem like an eternity before it does, but one day, it will just click, and she'll be like "Okay, I don't have to be Bonkers Kit today. I probably don't have to be Bonkers Kit tomorrow, either". Expect that sometime around the age of three - give or take. She will calm down incrementally between now and then.

As for the barking, that's a Sebastian trait to this day. The best way to curb this behavior (she'll still do it, but less often) is to ignore it. Hide under a blanket, turn your back, go into another room, go outside if you have to. Only give her attention when she has calmed down. I would also teach her that she only gets what she wants when she is being calm and polite - an extension of NILIF.

She'll get through this, and you'll end up better off having gone through it with her. It is definitely trial by fire and no fun when you're in it, but you will have some great stories to tell later on (once enough time has passed for them to be funny).
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Hahah so it isn't odd after all? I should rename this thread adolescence behavior. Once the debris gets cleaned out, we are going to take her out for long walks. Thankfully, we are heading into the fall.

What is NILIF? I feel like I should know what this means. Is this a training method?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

My thread about Sebastian's adolescence was called "Attack of the Giant Teenage Puppy". I made a lot of mistakes with him, but he turned out reasonably okay!

NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. It's leadership training that establishes for the dog that the humans are in charge of the resources, and if the dog would like access to those resources, they have to earn it with good behavior, like sitting calmly for a treat, or sitting and waiting to go outside. It's also called "Say Please" and "Learn to Earn".
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

So if she does something bad she will roll over and show you her tummy. It is so manipulative. She knows I'm not immune to cuteness. Here is a photo reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7115.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	8995
    Or she will cuddle super close to you. If you move an inch, she moves an inch. She loves doing this to my pug Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7114.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	8996

Jewel`s Photos

1. barking at your dad. This likely has to do with the energy your dad is giving off. Is he the big hug big smooch to the dog type of guy? If he's trying to be serious stoic with her, it may just trigger the slightly crazy behavior.

2. humping doodle. Totally normal. It's not about breeding. It's an expression of excitement/too much energy and also age.

3. boredom. Nothing to fix that but to give her more exercise.

4. jumping into lap. if your husband keeps laughing when she does it... it's just going to egg her on. Bijou used to jump on me when I came home from work. She was no graceful jumper. so I would hold out my left forearm for her to land her feet and then with the other arm I would pull her sideways to me to give her a hug. That way she got to jump but would not knock me down. See if you can redirect Kit's body so that she's not landing smack into your body.

Kit would likely benefit from doggie daycare. However, she's not yet spayed. Most places won't accept intact animals into play groups, particularly females.

Ren is no angel either. To keep the crazy puppy excitement in check, starting at 6 months I walk him 3 miles each morning. Now it's usually give or take 3.5 miles. He gets walked in the evenings too sometimes, depending on his craziness level. He goes to my friend's place for play group and also goes to the dog park.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

Our Kali (11 mo, Pyr/GSD mix), spayed female, is going through some pretty bratty adolescent stuff right now too. We keep reminding ourselves it will pass, as the members have often said. Still, I know it can be frustrating. Demanding attention, wanting to play, nudging us then barking to get attention, chewing up the house to get attention, humping our 9 yo Golden, then he tries to hump her, neither has a clue. I second all the suggestions above, get lots of exercise, try to stimulate and tire her out mentally by doing daily training exercises (come, sit, stay, heel, etc, basically working the dog), the NILIF is great too. Every food bowl, treat, is preceeded by her performing a command. Like get her to sit, or down, before giving her anything. I often take Kali's food bowl away momentarily before she is finished, then give it back, same with chew toys, just reaffirming our position.

We hope to laugh about this period someday......

snow0160`s Photos

I took them to a giant dog park that is still open. This is their first outing since the hurricane. They were very happy! They don't seem to go nuts if I let them play in the yard but at a dog park with other dogs they go bananas for the first 10 min and then settle down. I just need to do this twice a day because our 2 mile medium walk isn't cutting it. Our normal dog park closed down after Hurricane Irma due to the fallen trees. I am so happy for all the advice here! I know I can get throught this teenage phase.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I took them to a giant dog park that is still open.
    we wanna see dog park pics!