Hybrid View

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Abradleyxe`s Photos

Wink 9month old wines at night until he can sleep outside..

Hey everyone I have a 9month old prye that has been crying at night lately until he gets to sleep outside.. Is this normal or just a faze?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

What is the background of your pup? Did you adopt him as a young pup or fairly recently? I believe the Pyr breed mostly enjoys the outside, watching the yard and doing its guardian duties as originally bred. Our Pyr/GSD mix female loves to be outside, although we consider her an indoor dog. She needs to spend several hrs each evening outside watching our backyard, otherwise she is more difficult to put to bed at night.

Perhaps evaluate the sleeping area of your pup, some treats, make it more comfortable if area causes some anxiety? Is the sleep area separate from the rest of the family?

Lots of personality changes at this age range!

Young Dawg (Member)

My pup started doing this super young when we got him. I'd say it started at around 12 weeks during the summer now at 22 weeks he is just starting to not mind spending the night inside. Hard to say if it's his age or now that it's cooling off in the evening due to fall.

Puppy (New Member)

I have a 34 month old rescue female Pyr and a 10 month old male, Achilles. Now that the cooler October and November weather has come, Achilles wants to be outside every night, even when the temperature drops below 0 Centegrade. He demands to get out around 7 pm and around 10 pm his barking gets Ellie to go out also. They will not come in. The Pyrs have 6 acres fenced off with a small forest, pond, ducks, geese etc, and there are coyotes and deer around outside the fence, so there is lots of guarding to do. Up until a month ago, Achilles would bang at the door to get out and minutes later bang on the door or a window to come in and this repeated every half hour all night. Now he just stays out. They have a very big dog house and there is a front porch overhang and a huge portico with columns behind the house, so they can get out of the weather. Every so often at night we can hear their barking at one end of the property or another. We have come to accept that this is just the way things are. The two Pyrs come in as soon as we get up for breakfast and hang around for a while before going out again. They do by choice spend a lot of time inside during the day. Keeping Achilles inside at night does not work as he is a very vocal dog with a big deep bark and he will jump at and paw the door to get your attention. If we go to bed with him inside, you can count on a half hour or hour of barking before he gives up and goes to sleep. The female, Ellie, is not a big barker.