Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha1/2's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Default Shampoo and Conditioner?

Please recommend a shampoo and conditioner. Our climate is very dry, semi-desert, and our winters are cold. If the dog doesn't appear to be dirty, how often should a house pet be bathed? Bushed? Professionally groomed?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

As a groomer I will give you the speech I give all of my customers and friends who ask these questions.

I recommend an oatmeal based shampoo my personal favorite is Fresh and Clean Oatmeal and Baking soda though if you are wanting to brighten her whites and shine her blacks then I would recommend going with a brightening shampoo. Only get the blue ones, the purples do not work as well. I say oatmeal based for a standard shampoo only because, a lot of people don't rinse their dogs enough. If there is soap residue left on your dogs coat then they can get really itchy. If your dog has fleas go with a citrus based flea shampoo because, they are gentler on your dog's coat.

I always say condition your dog because, washing them removes all of their natural oils that is why a clean dog doesn't have a dog smell to it. So a conditioner will help keep her skin and coat from drying up. Pick a conditioner that has a nice smell. I have used them all and personally I find thicker conditioners to be nice but, they are hard to rinse out completely. If you pick a thick conditioner make sure to water it down for that soul reason.

As a groomer I buy my shampoos by the gallon and if you have multiple dogs then you can buy a gallon of shampoo and conditioner from any grooming company and you shouldn't have to buy any more shampoo or conditioner for a couple years. If you go this route I recommend Bark 2 Basics Honey Almond shampoo (Not oatmeal based but, does an amazing job cleaning and smells great. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with this stuff though.) and their Demat and Anti-Static conditioner. You don't have to worry about rinsing all of the conditioner out with that conditioner cause it can be used as a leave in...I rinse Missy out 95% of the way with it and leave a little bit in and then dry her. She is always so shinny, smells pretty and no static.

I wash Missy every four to six weeks personally you don't have to bathe that often though. In Missy's case she is an indoor dog who loves the outside dirt and if I let her get too dirty she gets really itchy. My shar pei I wash once a month and sometimes twice a month but, he is a super oily dog by nature.

As for brushing I try to brush Missy everyday but, for example the month of December is really busy for me so she only gets brushed and combed out twice a week. I do this for shedding purposes, she sheds less cause I brush her more. She loves being brushed though, I mean if I haven't brushed her by Wednesday she will get me her brush and bring it to me and stare at me until I brush her.

As for professional grooming that is up to you. If you are going to brush her everyday, trim her nails or file her nails once a month and wash her yourself you really don't need a professional. Now Sasha is a springer mix so if she has a springer like coat then it is really going to come down can you keep her mat free? Springers have thick long coats and if not brushed and combed often they will tangle and tangle fast. Unlike a pyr and border collie a springer's coat will keep growing mind you it grows slower then a poodle but, still it will grow always. They don't have the same coat type as pyr that grows so much and then sheds out the dead stuff.

So that is something to keep in mind. If you get Sasha use to being groomed and work with her daily then you should be okay. If she gets a springer coat type you may need to get her professionally groomed. If that is the case then you need to do some groomer homework. Look up your local groomers if there are reviews read them, if there are pictures look at them. Call them and get price quotes and ask them questions. Before setting up an appointment take Sasha into the salon you choose and have the groomer meet her. If the groomer won't meet your dog or your dog seems really uncomfortable with her then you need to find a different groomer. Grooming isn't fun as it is but, if your dog is uneasy with the groomer then it becomes a thousand times worse.

Don't let a groomer say "They are too busy to say hi." I have been jam packed with appointments this time of the year but, I still have time to go and greet the dogs that come into my salon. I sit on my zebra bench, hold the dog's leash as I look at the owners and let the dog smell me. I then evaluate their dog while still talking to them. I start at the chin and work my way back and up, feeling for mats, scabs and any lumps. I discuss my findings with their owners and make them aware of them. The whole time I am considering where the mats are and thinking to myself are they removable or are they too tight? Can I spot shave them out without making it noticeable? I ask the owner if they brush their dog and what kind of groom they want. All groomers should do this period, if they don't do this then I wouldn't leave my dog with them.

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Tsuni, thanks for making the time to write out your speech. Its all very helpful.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha1/2 View Post
    Tsuni, thanks for making the time to write out your speech. Its all very helpful.
    No need to thank me.

Since I was twelve I have been either helping groom or grooming myself. I work with so many small dogs that all I will ever own now are large dogs. If my Mom or myself can't work on my dogs then I only trust two other people with them and I have worked with both of them.

My advice is given to people from the prospective of someone who has seen what a bad groomer can do to a dog. One bad encounter with a groomer can really mess with a dog, not only when it comes to future grooming but, also training in general. I have seen amazing dogs go bad and from that I have decided to inform people of what to look for in their grooming and in their groomer.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ImWithThePyr's Avatar

ImWithThePyr`s Photos

I am a firm believer in only brushing... unless the dog gets filthy. Pyrs are blessed with a self cleaning coat, but unfortunately, bathing can remove the oils that make it self cleaning. I am not sure if your sweet little mixed breed pup has a self cleaning coat or not?
    So long may the breed prosper and spread... for to once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Bear, can you move to Austin?

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TexasKat View Post
    Bear, can you move to Austin?

It cheaper to live there and I have seen the gas prices there, I am very jealous of that. Gas prices alone make it tempting.

Jewel`s Photos

Tsunibear, no state income tax, much more reasonable home and gas prices. But you don't want to move to Austin, that's the high price town for the state. You want to move to North Texas, cheaper than Austin and much less humidity.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Nawwww, don't believe Jewel. I lived in Dallas for almost 10 years before moving (due to a transfer) to Austin. Trees, hills, water and a much more laid back lifestyle. Austin is terrific (even if I AM an Aggie and living in our (former) football arch-rival's hometown.)

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ImWithThePyr View Post
    I am not sure if your sweet little mixed breed pup has a self cleaning coat or not?
    When and how will I know?