Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color changing?

Young Dawg (Member) daisycannon's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

daisycannon`s Photos

Question Color changing?

Lately I have noticed my Daisy is turning into a bit of a Sunflower. By that I mean, her hair is turning yellowed, especially along her back and sides. Her pantaloons, face, and tail are still white with grey patches like they've always been, and her stomach is still white. But her sides and back have started to turn kind of yellow. People are always surprised when I tell them she's a purebred dog because her coloration is so off. I'm not upset or anything about not having a white-as-snow dog, I just want to ask if anyone knows a possible reason her fur is doing this? She's about 4 now, and her fur has been getting progressively more yellow over the past year or so. I wash her with flea shampoo during the summer months and puppy shampoo during winter months because she's got fairly dry, sensitive skin. She uses a coconut oil based conditioner every time she gets a bath to help with the dry skin issue. She does like to roll in the grass a lot (I've found grass stains on her face before!), could that be the cause of it?

Jewel`s Photos

Pyrs with spots of color on them can have color changes in the colored parts of their coat. But usually the white portion of the dog stays white.

Beautiful Daisy seems to have a bit of the anatolian tan in her coat. If she is from working line background, there might have been an anatolian somewhere along the line since pyrs, anatolians, akbashes and kommondors all can be found working together on Texas ranches.

The dog on the right in the pic below is Jo who belongs to my friends. Everything about him is pyr, except for his color. Jo is a rescue so we don't know his background at all. My pyr mix Bro, the one on the right in my avatar pic, was all white in color. But he was actually cream white and not sparkly white like the pyrs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	8963

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay it's hard for me to see her colors in that picture.

I am focusing on the dry skin...no it won't change the color of the coat. Rolling the grass will change the coat to green but, not yellow. How often do you bathe her is my first question? My second question is why are you bathing her in flea shampoo? Does she have fleas? If so why not put her on a preventative? Flea shampoo will only kill what's on her, it won't keep them off of her. That's why I ask. I am a dog groomer for a living so my mind goes straight to skin and coat care sorry. Flea shampoo will dry her coat and skin out bad. No amount of conditioner will fix that if you keep doing it is why I ask. Also over bathing can dry out the skin and coat as well. I tell people if you bathe at home no more then once a month. It takes 72 hours to get the natural oils back into their skin and coat so if you over bathe the oil never gets back making the skin and coat dry.

daisycannon`s Photos

Her skin has been a little dry since I first got her. In the summer time, she gets a bath once a month. In the part of Texas where I live, fleas are just a fact of life. She's on flea preventative, I spray my house and yard, and she gets a flea bath two weeks after she gets her flea medicine each month. In the winter, she gets a bath once every two months, unless she rolls around in a mud puddle or something, then she gets a rinse. That picture is from before her colors started changing so much. Do you think it could be because we have really hard water here? When my hair is blonde, if I don't use a purple shampoo it does get all coppery.

As far as her having some Anatolian in her, I thought she might, too, but when I sent away a DNA test it came back all Great Pyr. People kept asking me what kind of dog she was on account of how beautiful she is (not that I'm bragging or anything ) so I decided to find out.

Name:	20170906_082754.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	8965

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I'd have guessed she had Anatolian too, especially with those black guard hairs. Is it the photo or does she have black in her tail too? My Pyr mix Lily changes coat color summer and winter. In winter she looks very white. In summer, she looks pretty close to tan if you look at her up close. Her fur is actually very pale brown with white tips. Makes her look white but appearances can be deceiving! We do not know what she is mixed with. We have really hard water here and I don't think that would alter the coat color.

My other two are Kangal dogs and both have a color change from summer to winter mostly because of the darker guard hairs that come with their winter coat.

She is a very gorgeous girl!

Tsunibear`s Photos

Hard water will dry her skin out, but not change the coat colors. For a dog that's as clean as she is, being that tan/yellow isn't normal unless she isn't 100% Pyr.

As for the DNA tests my personal opinion is they are a joke. I had a friend buy two she used one on her purebred schnauzer and one on her lab/border collie/rott mix. The results came back that her purebred akc genetically proven schnauzer was cairn terrier/scottie/schnauzer and her mix came back as a lab/dobie...now she knew Mom and Dad personally so she knew for a fact both were wrong. So I personally don't take the tests seriously...even my vet doesn't believe in them from experience as well.

daisycannon`s Photos

I don't know. Like I said, though, it doesn't really matter to me too awful much. She was bright white with gray ears, a gray patch on her shoulders, and one gray patch on her tail for a little over a year, then her coat started changing for some reason. Now that I think of it, it was shortly after we moved and she got her first bad flea infestation that her coat started to change colors. It looks to me like her undercoat is mostly bright white but her guard hairs are a darker color. Could it have something to do with the fleas or the stress of moving?

Tsunibear`s Photos

Fleas...how bad are the fleas around there? What type of flea meds are you using? If the fleas are bad enough and the meds don't quite cut it you can be see the orange color because it's flea blood. I work on a white poodle who comes in orange and dirty looking, but that's because her flea meds suck and she is always infested so when I bathe her, the water comes off reddish orange until the fleas and their blood and her blood from them are washed off then she is sparkling white.

daisycannon`s Photos

I use Vectra once a month. That's the one my vet recommended for her because we don't want to use an ingested medicine because she has such a sensitive stomach. She once threw up 13 times in one day after she stole my peanut butter sandwich (no xylitol). Took her to the vet and she didn't throw up one more time, the little stinker. The fleas are terrible. The little dog has to get a bath once a week so he doesn't get anemic. I use the Advantage II in the yard, and I spray a natural flea deterrent in the home because I don't want to expose the dogs to as many pesticides. I've thought about buying some beneficial nematodes and ladybugs to help. This year I managed to keep them mostly under control, but it was hard. Daily flea combing was a big part of my routine. When I wash her, she doesn't seem to get much whiter and I don't notice the water or soap suds being especially reddish-colored, but she is definitely a white dog by the time Christmas rolls around.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by daisycannon View Post

Name:	20170906_082754.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	8965
    The colors in your pic look a little like this one to me... I've always wondered what Jo could be mixed with that he looks just like a pyr everywhere else but his color. Maybe I can talk his mom into doing a DNA test. I've always wanted to do one with Ren.

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8967