Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Kjern1112`s Photos

Default He's bored to death.

Hello! I have a 6 month old male Pyr who is 100% inside. We live in a rental home that has a big backyard but it is not fenced in. My pyr, Charlie is crated for the most part of the day, from 7:30-12:30 then let out for a bathroom break and crated again from 1-5:30. He is let out of his crate to roam the house while we're home and he gets let out for a bathroom break but has to be leashed because every attempt to get him to listen off leash hasn't worked.. even a shock collar doesn't stop him from roaming off and not responding to "come". He is the sweetest thing and I have absolutely no problems with him whatsoever except that I can tell he is extremely bored.. when let out of his crate in the afternoon he is hyper to the maximum.. he rips up his plush toys and constantly wants to play, which is fine.. but I felt bad for him because he's crated during the day and left him out of his crate to roam the house for only 2 hours while I went to the grocery store and he completely demolished our couch.. he never even acts like he cares about the couch when we're home. He ripped off the leather and tore through the stuffing.. long story short, a couple of weeks went by and I left him out again for about 45 minutes while I was gone and.. once again he tore up furniture, except this time he gutted the love seat. We're thinking about getting him an outside kennel to stay in during the day while we're at work, but he gets so hot so easily and we're in south GA where the heat has been upper 90s to 100s lately, plus a dog kennel is only about 10x6 so he still wouldn't have room to play.. I have no idea what to do, please give me any advice you can on how to let my puppy actually get to be a puppy!

Jewel`s Photos

Charlie is chewing your furniture because a pup cannot be left alone unsupervised until they've earned the right to be left alone with the run of the house. Charlie's clearly not there yet. Moreover, if you don't provide adequate exercise for him, he is even more likely to find things to entertain himself while left alone. You also can't expect a pyr puppy to have reliable recall at his age unless you've put in the work to train reliable recall into him. First, pyrs are notoriously difficult to train to have reliable recall. Second, you let a pup that's been locked up all day in the crate into an open space, it's no wonder he won't listen to you to come back. Open space vs. confines of a house or crate... that's a no brainer. You want him to be a puppy, walk him, find a dog park for him or a daycare where he can play. Is he neutered yet? If not, daycare will not accept him into play groups.

This is what we do with our now 11 month old who is an only child. I walk him every morning usually 3 miles or more (once summer started, I carry water with me on the morning walks) before going to work. During the day he goes to daycare 2-3 times a week so that he's not alone at home everyday. I also take him to the dog park now and then. Before it got so hot around here we would walk him again in the evening or take him to get ice cream or just hang out somewhere.

We do have a fully fenced in yard so if we don't take him out after work, we play with him in the yard. I also do training sessions with him some evenings at home. He will be enrolled in some sort of class or two in the near future as well.

edit to add: even though we have a yard, Ren does not stay in the yard by himself for any significant amount of time - not because we won't let him but because he doesn't want to be in the yard just by himself. So effectively, he's pretty much an indoor dog.

Young Dawg (Member)

Kjern1112`s Photos

Thank you for your reply! My husband took the initiative to buy 150 ft of cable and tied it from one end of our yard on a tree to the other end and we hooked a 30 ft cable to it and harnessed Charlie to it so now he has lots of room to roam! He isn't quite sure yet what's going on but I'm sure once we get him used to it he will enjoy his freedom/ outside time! He's such a sweet puppy and just wants us close to him but in the long run I'm sure he will be thankful! He will only be allowed outside with supervision until we see that he is comfortable with his new running line! He's definitely a mamas boy and spoiled rotten which is mostly my fault for treating him like he's a 10 pound lap dog and not the 65 pound 6 month old that he is lol

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Before you begin tethering Charlie in the back yard, I would strongly urge you to read this thread with your husband. It is in omen of things to come should you choose to continue down this path.

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ve-with-Humans

Yes, it's hard raising a puppy without a fenced-in yard. I raised Sebastian alone in an apartment. It was exhausting, but that didn't absolve me of my responsibility to raise him in a responsible manner. When I was sick, we still went on walks. In pain? Still went on walks. Just didn't feel like it? Too bad. We went walking anyways. He also went to daycare as often as my budget would allow, and the dog park once we found one that I liked.

Another thing I did to keep him occupied was positive, rewards-based training. Please, for the love of everything that is good in this world, throw that shock collar away, and pick up a copy of How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Dr. Sophia Yin. Then, enroll Charlie in a clicker (or other rewards-based method) training class in your town.

Maybe he is bored, but I'm not entirely convinced. He could also be suffering from Separation Anxiety, which can be pretty terrible for everyone involved - but especially the dog. I would advise setting up a camera and seeing how he responds when you leave. Also, I agree that he was clearly not ready to have full run of the house, so blaming him for the destruction of your couch is wholly unfair.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member)

Kjern1112`s Photos

I would never leave Charlie outside for long on the cable nor would I ever, ever let him roam free. He is very attached to my husband and I and we adore him. We take him with us when we go on outings and he is taken to the dog park at least once a week to openly play with my pitbull, who is kenneled outside. He doesn't like being outside for very long though, he's not really an outside dog in my opinion.. he prefers to play indoors.. when outside for longer than about 30 minutes he's whining to go back indoors, even though when left along indoors he's very destructive. He has never showed any aggression towards anything, humans or animals. My in laws have chickens and he pays them no attention, seems to not even notice them..Charlie's main focus is sniffing and following me or my husband EVERYWHERE. He is crated st night and sleeps all night soundly until I get up for work and then he is let out to play, potty, eat and drink while I'm getting ready. Toys are a favorite for him but he literally destroys every single toy he gets.. even the expensive "tear proof" toys.. he doesn't bark, but whines when my husband and I are not in his sight.. we have no problem getting him to go into his crate, we simply say "get in your bed Charlie, and he goes right in and we give him a treat" .. the tethering is an attempt to let him burn some energy off with supervision while having a long range to run.. out long term goal with Charlie is to eventually move him into our future chicken yard to protect our chickens, but have I spoiled him passed that point? When I organically got him st 7 weeks old my goal was a chicken dog, but that quickly changed when I fell in love with him, I couldn't stand the thought of him always being outside because he is way too hot, even with adequate shelter food and water he can only stand short term outside, I've never seen an animal get so hot.

Young Dawg (Member) kcphilaflyer's Avatar

Our 8 month old male is still not allowed free range of the house by himself when we are gone. We are starting to allow him little bits of time on his own, my wife will run errands, I'll go work in the backyard and leave him inside, and pop in and check on him every 15 minutes or so, he does fine but I think he knows I'm right outside so there's no anxiety issues and I imagine he's still far from being left on his own for long periods of time, baby steps.

Has he lost all of his baby teeth yet? When we first got Zeke at 4 months old, he would chew on anything in site, and by anything I mean taking wallpaper off the wall, papers, remote control, we just learned to never let him leave our site and worked with him to divert the chewing to his toys/ropes. Once he lost all his baby teeth, we haven't had any chewing problems at all, he sticks to things in his toy bucket.

Zeke isn't a big fan of being outside either, if we're both out there he doesn't mind it, but if we just let him out to go to the bathroom, within 5 minutes tops, he's at the door ready to come in, he just wants to be around us.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I linked to that thread not to suggest that you would let him roam free, but to let you know, in no uncertain terms, that by tethering him outside, you are setting him up to grow up to be insecure and intolerant of even the slightest bit of frustration - just like Cooper, the dog in the thread. If you don't believe me, you can call any Pyr rescue and ask how they feel about Pyrs who have been tethered, and how easy they are to rehab (hint: they aren't). This goes even for dogs who are adored.

If you were really only planning on leaving him tethered for 30 minutes at a time, why not use those 30 minutes to take him for a walk, play with him, or do some positive, rewards-based training with him?

Please know that I'm not saying any of this to be holier-than-thou. I'm actually trying to help you by preventing you from making a mistake that could have very dangerous (and expensive) consequences down the line.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kjern1112 View Post
    to openly play with my pitbull, who is kenneled outside.
    You have another dog!! Is there a reason why Charlie can't play with the pitbull everyday? Playing with another dog is the best way to drain a puppy's energy. I would know because I raised my prior two pyr pups with the help of an adult pyr. Ren is the first pyr pup I've raised without the help of an adult pyr. If you don't let them play because your backyard is unfenced and it's too hot out, is there a reason why they can't play inside??

Young Dawg (Member)

Kjern1112`s Photos

My other dog, Cali is 6 years old and cannot stand being indoors. She plays with Charlie for short increments and then gets annoyed with him because he's a lot bigger than her. She doesn't become aggressive, just starts ignoring him after she's done playing. I sat outside with Charlie and Cali this afternoon and let them play in the yard while supervised but Cali really didn't pay Charlie much attention, plus Cali was leashed because she is 100% untrustworthy off leash, she is very fast and will take off in a heart beat, she was my rescue 5 years ago and pretty much keeps to herself and does her own thing, and Charlie started panting heavily and ran to our front door wanting inside after he realized Cali wasn't wanting to play. He's currently laying at my feet on our tile floor snoring. As a recently new Pyr mom I'm just going to have to take an extra step into making sure he gets the adequate exercise during the day, and I thought I did that by setting up a running cable for him, but now I'm not so sure I did the right thing.. i put him on the cable earlier and he didn't seem to mind, he walked the yard and sniffed around. The only thing I did notice was he didn't like when his cable ended because he started chewing on his cable line, but other than that he didn't whine or bark or anything alarming. I've never had a big dog or even a pure bred dog I've always had street dogs, or rescues. Charlie was a gift originally intended for my husband, but quickly turned into my dog child. I'm just trying to give him the best life possible while working a full time job as well as my husband working a full time job as well.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kjern1112 View Post
    i put him on the cable earlier and he didn't seem to mind, he walked the yard and sniffed around. The only thing I did notice was he didn't like when his cable ended
    LOL, that's pretty normal for pyrs. Pyrs are bred to roam. The cable is only going to entertain him so much. As soon as he figures out his "freedom" is limited, he's likely to get bored with the set up. My current pup is our 4th pyr. All of our pyrs all wanted interactive play. All of my pyrs went to the dog park when young. But as each matured, each found the dog park boring because it's just a big enclosed area and that did not satisfy their natural instinct to roam. So I've always walked them everyday; a different route everyday, in fact.

If you really want to give Charlie a good puppyhood, try to make time to walk him yourself to appease his natural roaming nature, take him to a dog park more than once a week, or take him to a daycare. Has Charlie been socialized on a regular basis with a variety of other dogs besides Cali? It is very important that they get exposed to as many different dogs as possible by the time they're 4 months old. But socialization should continue throughout their lives regardless. Socialization is very good for their mental well-being.