Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Re-homed....is she okay?

Yesterday we re-homed our 3 year old GP to a sweet family about an hour away on a nice farm. We got her at 6 weeks and her first year was on a farm but we've been moved around due to my husband's career and now we live in town and she just seemed frustrated all the time. At the same time I am battling health issues. We have two other regular dogs as well that are lower maintenance and perfectly content indoors so they are not an issue. But the GP is of course up all night barking at the scary leaf that decided to land in our front yard! Anyhow, it took us six months to find who we felt was suitable. Now I have been ridiculed by people stating I was horrible to do this to her and she will be so depressed???? I feel horrible already as it is.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I'm sorry to read you had to find a new home for your girl....not an easy decision...

you took your time, and searched & found a good home for her, safe, secure & loving.....

you did what was best for her and your family....I call that pretty unselfish

don't be concerned with what other people say, they don't know you, your situation nor your dog

sure, she will have some adjustment, as you are doing right now, but time & comfort will help take care of that.

I have had to re-home a dog myself, she was a danger to my other dog, and she was my girl.....she was re-homed to a fisherman with 3 daughters, she went everywhere with them...and as far as I was concerned was a bit spoiled! the day the decision was made to let her go, the fisherman came in off the fishing grounds to hold her & be with her....I could not have asked for a better situation for her.

I hope your heart & mind will be at ease soon

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

There are some terrible things that do happen to some Pyrs that don't work out in their first attempts as either Livestock Guardians or pets. Going to live with a lovely couple that you have thoroughly researched is not among them. You made a heartbreakingly difficult decision for all of the right reasons. If that doesn't deserve the Dog Mom Medal of Courage, I don't know what does.

Right now, your girl is likely going through a period of adjustment - just as we do during a major life change. And just like with us, once she gets used to life in her new farm, she is likely to be just fine.

As for the negative people, please try not to pay them any mind. For one, their judgement is both misplaced and misguided. Your decision was made out of concern for your dog's emotional well-being. You were putting her needs before your own. You should be commended for that - not condemned. The judgement you've been subjected to also shows how little these people know about dog behavior. Here on this forum, we talk a lot about Dr. Patricia McConnell, a famous author and Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist. This woman is one of the country's leading experts in animal behavior. She talks openly about the dog she had to rehome after bringing it home and realizing that it was not going to be a good fit no matter what she did to try to modify the dog's behavior. Dr. McConnell is not a monster, and neither are you! The armchair behaviorists who think that you're some big meanie for giving your dog away (to a couple who live in an environment where she is likely to be happier, that is) have most likely never lived with a dog with a serious behavioral issue. Some of them will have you believe that the reason for that is that they did this right or they did that right. The truth is that they simply got lucky.

Sending you love and good energy during this difficult time.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all! Thankfully her new family and I are on FB so I am able to communicate and see her. They said she seems really tired her first full day with them and a little sad but also they have a seven year old daughter that has kept her busy and the GP definitely isn't used to a child, she's been in a home with adults and teens. I just hate the thought that she thinks we just threw her away like garbage. Ugh!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

"threw her away like garbage".....no...don't go there...don't even think that!!
    I don't remember you saying you left her on the side of the road to fend for herself....so try not to think that way

you found her a home with people who care about her, the little girl will grow up loving her own fluffy butt, magical!
    they both will learn new ways...together....and you get to watch her progress...nice!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I second what Nancy says. Remember, that dogs' brains aren't exactly like ours. They don't think exactly the same way we do. They spend a whole lot more time than we do living in the moment. Living with my two, I am convinced that at least Sebastian has a solid grasp of the concept of the future. I can tell him that something is going to happen, and he seems to know to expect it (he has a lot more raw intelligence than my other dog. It's an observation, not an assignment of value to either boy). I have no reason to believe that either boy spends any significant amount of time dwelling in the past.

Let's talk about the concept of garbage for a minute. I am pretty sure that Sebastian and Chester think that when I roll that smelly green bin out to the curb every Wednesday, I am doing the equivalent of making an offering to a much higher being, or paying taxes. They think that garbage is pretty high-end stuff, and if I didn't have the fancy lidded step-cans, they would be engineering new schemes to get into it in the vein of Wile E. Coyote. In fact, if dogs had a commodities trading market, I'm pretty sure the hottest sellers would be garbage, dead things, and poop. My two will turn up their noses at organic, human-grade dog food, but they go crazy for the gross stuff.

My point is, as many things as we share with our dogs, we still are two different species and have some pretty fundamental differences - particularly in how we process the world around us. I feel like this might be one of those times where it is helpful to remember that dogs aren't people.

Dogs are creatures of habit, and chances are that she will perk up dramatically once she gets the hang of the routine in her new home. My Chester has Separation Anxiety, so last year when I went out of town, I had someone the boys know come to the house and stay with them to keep their routine as normal as possible. I have a camera in the living room where Chester's crate is, that I checked constantly while I was out of town, and Chester was consistently okay. Now, if I am home and something throws off our routine, hold on to your hat, because Chester is going to have a mega meltdown.

I can imagine that this is still a raw emotional time for you. There is a lot to process. But please know that we aren't just being nice. You really did do the right thing for your Pyr - even if it hurts like the worst of life's painful events. Being the right decision doesn't make it easy.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

[QUOTE=SebastiansMom;97752 I can imagine that this is still a raw emotional time for you. There is a lot to process. But please know that we aren't just being nice. You really did do the right thing for your Pyr - even if it hurts like the worst of life's painful events. Being the right decision doesn't make it easy.[/QUOTE]

I am guilty of (self-righteously) ranting and raving about backyard breeders and the people who buy the puppies giving them up when they get too big, etc. I was coming from a situation in which I observed all of that and was upset, but that's no excuse. I seemed at the time to have forgotten that it was only about one-and-a-half years ago when, due to serious financial problems, I thought I would have to re-home Casey. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that, but I applaud you for doing the work it takes to find the best adoptive home, and for doing the best thing for your Pyr and your family. And how cool that you can communicate with her adoptive family on Facebook!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Do not listen to people who talk nasty to you. You did what you felt was best for your dog and you do not need to feel guilt over it. My 10 year old Pyr, Sir Moose, was diagnosed with liver disease last Feb. and put in hepatic dog food and some meds. He would not eat the food. I had to follow him around and put a few pieces of kibble in his mouth--sometimes he chewed them, sometimes he sapt them out. He would not even eat the canned. He is a master at spitting out pills after you think he was swallowed them. I tried putting them in cheese and he finally bit down on one--and wouldn't' even eat cheese after that. He dropped from 115 to 81 pounds his last weighing.

I finally decided enough was enough. Quality of life was better than quantity of life. He no longer came into the kitchen to check his dish or watch me preparing his dish of food (pre disease, he had a little home made doggy stew each night with his grain free kibble.) He rarely got into a "conversation" with the dogs around us, just laid around doing nothing except for his mooring walk. He was just a shell of his old self. So I made the decision, and hubby agreed, no more of that hepatic food (I was doing good if I got 1/2 cup a day down him) and I started cooking for him. I did research and found that chicken and turkey breast and white meat fish were the only meats he should eat. Also veggies were limited.

I do give him some things not on the list as he loves them so much. Most mornings he gets oatmeal with a dollop of honey, a Tbs of coconut oil, a little milk and some boiled chopped chicken breasts,or boiled turkey, and a scrambled egg. Not much meat as the egg is the protein and that is limited. He gets a snack of 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and one slice of bread with a little peanut butter on it. He LOVES that. Supper--rice, choppee carrots, chopped apples, chopped sweet potato boiled in chicken broth & water. Ever other day I had about a TBS of chopped chicken livers (by the containers and divivde them up, wrap thepieces and freeze, takingout as neeed). Then when done, just a little cheese and one of the meats,.

Getting near his supper time, he is in the kitchen, ears perked watching me. Ssme with breakfast. He lets all the dogs in the neighborhood know that is the ruler around here, getting the last bark. Tore our woodpile apart getting after a possum the other night. He is acting like his old self. His life may end sooner, but it will end with him being happy and contenet,, not a zombie. Yes, some decisions are tough but we make them for the love of our dogs.
    Jerry and Moose

Pjg8r`s Photos

You made a decision that you believed was the best thing for your family and your dog. Please don't beat yourself up.