Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Ha! I love my kidneys. Does antibiotic make your dog crazy? I saw her going full on nutty this morning for the first time. She's been active before but not really like this. She was jumping over my 32" wide couch from one side to the other. When you tell her to stop she rolls over and kicks you and runs away. Or she tags you by body slamming and then run away. She is bouncy like a poodle or a cat. I think she is trying to engage with anyone who will play with her. I think she is giving my husband an aneurysm. So can this be a side effect of the antibiotic making her nuts or is this just her getting better?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Ha! I love my kidneys. Does antibiotic make your dog crazy? I saw her going full on nutty this morning for the first time. She's been active before but not really like this. She was jumping over my 32" wide couch from one side to the other. When you tell her to stop she rolls over and kicks you and runs away. Or she tags you by body slamming and then run away. She is bouncy like a poodle or a cat. I think she is trying to engage with anyone who will play with her. I think she is giving my husband an aneurysm. So can this be a side effect of the antibiotic making her nuts or is this just her getting better?
    Sounds like pretty typical puppy behavior to me... Maybe she was feeling bad even before you knew she was sick? Could also be that she's had too much down time being sick and the energy build up is hitting. Only meds that I ever noticed a difference in behavior was with steroids. Generally has made mine super irritable although my Ru started a course yesterday and is not any different yet. Probably just because she's been feeling too sick to cause trouble so far.

snow0160`s Photos

We took her to her training class since she was feeling better. She jumped up at one of the people who looked genuinely terrified. She will bark at someone because she wants to play and then she comes lunging somtimes. It is Kit's way of saying I love you. She is way less exhuberant than a lab and no bigger at 7 months but people are still terrified. I think she is also skinny enough that she doesn't have that giant fluffy great pyr jolly vibe.

Jewel`s Photos

She jumped up at one of the people who looked genuinely terrified. She will bark at someone because she wants to play and then she comes lunging somtimes.
    A lot of people really hate having a big dog jumping on them. I don't blame them. Bijou was horrible about that. She would lunge and jump at anyone within 5 feet of her. She too was just exuberant and wanted to say hi. But She was not at all a graceful jumper. Some pyrs can just rear up on their hind legs and land their paws softly on your chest or shoulders. Bijou pretty much just shoved her front feet at the person's chest, in no way soft or light about the way she did it. It hurt.

That jumping phase passed by the time Bijou was 2 when she grew to a size that jumping on people wasn't nearly as fun for her anymore.

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    A lot of people really hate having a big dog jumping on them. I don't blame them. Bijou was horrible about that. She would lunge and jump at anyone within 5 feet of her. She too was just exuberant and wanted to say hi. But She was not at all a graceful jumper. Some pyrs can just rear up on their hind legs and land their paws softly on your chest or shoulders. Bijou pretty much just shoved her front feet at the person's chest, in no way soft or light about the way she did it. It hurt.

That jumping phase passed by the time Bijou was 2 when she grew to a size that jumping on people wasn't nearly as fun for her anymore.
    Despite his dysplastic hips, Tyro loves to jump on people, mainly people he has never met before. We've still not 100% conquered this one and he's well on his way to 4 years old. You'd think he was an 8 week old puppy from how excited he gets. Strangely, almost everyone he jumps on likes it and Tyro is the favorite dog of everyone who visits!???? Perhaps because we have a "hands off" policy for guests and the dogs?

Jewel`s Photos

Makes me laugh to think about Tyro jumping on people... he's so tall he'd squash a lot of us shorter folks...

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Makes me laugh to think about Tyro jumping on people... he's so tall he'd squash a lot of us shorter folks...
    You know, it's odd. He's never knocked anyone over despite his massive size. Perhaps its because he's so tall that there's no need for him to jump up on the shorties. With his long legs he's already looking them in the eye with all four paws on the ground! His favorite jumping targets are tall men whose faces he can't easily reach. He jumps and put his hands on their shoulders to their great delight...! No wonder I can't break him of it! We tend to forget just how big he is until we look at a photo like this one of him getting a treat from his favorite (tiny!) aunt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	097.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	8852

snow0160`s Photos

Whoa, your dog is large. What a cute photo! We finally figured out why people are a bit afraid of Kit. It isn't her size. She has crazy eyes!! She has this look on her like she is about to do something bad and can't contain herself. Even people at the vet were a bit scared. She has googly eyes but typically it takes about 5 min for people to learn she is just a giant goof. Kit has light amber eyes which is unusual because all the pyrs and maremmas I've met has chestnut brown eyes. Her eyes are wolf like and it looks a little sinister. There is an episode on Seinfeld where Jerry dates a girl with crazy eyes. She is like that girl LOL.

Update on UTI: She is doing really great! I've gotten in touch with her breeder and she also believes the hypoplastic vulva will correct itself after the first heat cycle. Kit is back to having mostly no accidents. She did excitment pee once after a play session but that was it. She has become a little but nutty laterly and is upping her play game. She enjoys stealing shoes to get my attention. For some reason, she knows to get them one at a time but of the same pair. I get mad and I'm like "Kit Noooo!!!" which has been a common phrase lately due to the excessive peeing. I've said it so many times that my African Grey parrot now mocks me and says "Kit Noooo!! Stop!" before I do lol There has been a lot of pee related accidents but it it almost 100% better!

On her training, she has been doing super great! We have a private trainer and she attends CGC class and she just turned 8 months today! She is going to pass that class with flying colors! They say poodles are really smart but I think a dog of any breed can be just as smart. Kit has been easier to train than my Goldendoodle Lucky who is mostly poodle. It helps a lot that Kit is one of the most treat motivated dogs I've ever met. The only thing I can't train out of her is her sassy back talk but it gives her character and it makes me laugh.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian used to have a game (that is WELL-DOCUMENTED on here) that I used to call Kill Mommy. To the innocent bystander, it looked horrific, to me, it was mortifying, to our idiot trainers, it was a dangerous personality flaw, but to Sebastian, it was the most fun game in the world. Right before he would launch into a session, he would get a mischievous look on his face which I suspect could be similar to Kit's crazy eyes. He still gets the same look on his face before giving me full-body "Special Hugs". Truth be told, I can't even describe the look. It's a micro expression involving his eyes that I know when I see.

I'm so happy that Kit's training is going so well! Having worked closely with one Sebastian and two Standard Poodles, I can say that in terms of raw intelligence, Sebastian is smarter. When we were actively working on training together, I often found myself able to teach him new cues after one or two repetitions. I will say that having a super smart dog *can* be a bit of a double-edged sword at times. I, for one, am glad I only have one. (I can currently trick Chester into taking his morning medicine treats by making him fetch them, something that would never work with a smart dog ) I do hope that Kit being so smart continues to work in your favor. I have read that Maremmas are generally more biddable than Pyrs, but have no personal experience to make that comparison. Looks like your next puppy will have to be a Pyr, so you can let us know!

Glad to hear that she is feeling a lot better, and that it is looking like you will be able to avoid surgery on her vulva.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

She has crazy eyes!! Kit has light amber eyes which is unusual because all the pyrs and maremmas I've met has chestnut brown eyes. Her eyes are wolf like and it looks a little sinister.
    You know the rules, pictures or it's not true!

I wanna see Kit's eyes because Bro had amberish color eyes. When Bro was young he did not like attention from strangers. If someone tried to pet him, he'd give them a look with those yellow eyes and they'd sort of slink back from him.