Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you Nickspirit. It does help to have a sense of humor...my dad jokes will one day pay off. I am infamous for my horrible dad puns. SB, I wonder if dogs can see green? I like the photovisual. That is really green! It is good he knew to pee on green. Kit just pees by the door which had leaked into my storage closet. I think the floor isn't perfectly flat. I used the carpet runner as a stopper and good thing it can be easily washed.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I wonder if dogs can see green? I like the photovisual. That is really green! It is good he knew to pee on green.
    The rug wasn't that green in person. My tiny kitchen at the time had fluorescent lighting that made it look much brighter in photos than it did in real life. It was a much more normal shade of green, I promise!

As for whether or not dogs see green, I did say that my theory about Sebastian pooping on the rug was not based at all on Science! They don't see it the way we do. I did find an interesting article that not only shows the color spectrum they see but details an experiment where they learned that dogs can use color to make decisions, so maybe I wasn't so far off after all... He was really young when the rug was his favorite potty place!
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-color-vision

And, yes, it is good that he went potty there, and not the rug in the living room. I would have been much more sad about that one!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

SB, that is an interesting article about the color range. I can't remember which movie I watched recently that commented about this but I was surprised to find that they are not in fact colorblind. They do see in a few colors other than black and white.

Update: Kit is going nuts!
    I don't know if it is the change in Acana or the new antibiotics but boy is she bouncy today. She is playing with Lucky like he is a giant stuffed animal. When I pulled them apart, he actually wanted her to wrestle with him. *head shake* When we put our old dog Sahara on Acana, her energy definitely picked back up. She was a lot more active and spunky. Or maybe Kit is feeling better with the antibiotics. She is still peeing a lake by the front door and I wonder if this whole kidney infection is going to reverse the housebreaking.
    We also have a strand of Canine Influenza that is pretty bad here in central florida. My veterinary office had to actually shut down their whole facility and quarantine some dogs. They advised us to get the vaccine which are two boosters done 3 weeks apart. Since Kit is going to be on antibiotics for a month, maybe I should avoid all dog areas until I can vaccinate everyone.

Jewel`s Photos

Update: Kit is going nuts!
    I don't know if it is the change in Acana or the new antibiotics but boy is she bouncy today.
    I lean toward the antibiotics is working and she's feeling a lot better. I can't imagine that a kidney infection wouldn't make one feel at least a bit off and less energetic. So glad to hear that she's acting like a normal crazy happy pup!! Yay!!!!

edit to add: I am a fan of Stanley Coren and read about the color thing in one of his books. This is why a number of the dog toys we have are blue or purple...

snow0160`s Photos

My awesome new vet just came back with the test results from the culture. I am so glad I took her to this vet because it came back as E-coli which the previous antibiotic would not have worked. We have a theory that this is caused by her excitement peeing. We have taught her to sit when a stranger are petting her. She gets a little overwhelmed and pees sitting down. It is way easier to get UTIs if your butt is already in contact with the floor. I've also done some research on her in innie vulva and that many people report that it goes away after the first heat cycle. So good news on multiple fronts. :-) I love this dog so much! I would have donated a kidney. J.k.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

glad you are keeping your kidney!!

You went with your intuition & got another opinion....and now Kit is on her way to feeling better...nice!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My awesome new vet just came back with the test results from the culture. I am so glad I took her to this vet because it came back as E-coli which the previous antibiotic would not have worked. We have a theory that this is caused by her excitement peeing. We have taught her to sit when a stranger are petting her. She gets a little overwhelmed and pees sitting down. It is way easier to get UTIs if your butt is already in contact with the floor. I've also done some research on her in innie vulva and that many people report that it goes away after the first heat cycle. So good news on multiple fronts. :-) I love this dog so much! I would have donated a kidney. J.k.
    Snow, My Kangal girl Ru had an inverted vulva as a pup. We never had to deal with a kidney infection but she was getting UTIs and it was not fun. For a while in the beginning they thought she had a malformation of the ureter because her UTI was so bad she'd sit down and urine would just leak out of her...Taking her through a heat cycle solved the problem for her and we've had no issues since. She's 2 1/2 now. I hope this will be the case for Kit. The surgical solution for this gave me nightmares!

snow0160`s Photos

Antonia, Thank YOU so much for posting that! It is really comforting to hear! I did see hypoplastic vulva is common in giant breeds. It happens from spaying too early but it tend to go away after the first heat cycle.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Antonia, Thank YOU so much for posting that! It is really comforting to hear! I did see hypoplastic vulva is common in giant breeds. It happens from spaying too early but it tend to go away after the first heat cycle.
    You're welcome! I am glad to be able to say it worked for Ru. We had planned to wait to spay her until she was two years old but ended up doing it after she was a few months out from her first heat cycle because she had such bad false pregnancy issues post-heat. The one cycle was enough to take care of her problem.

Jewel`s Photos

came back as E-coli
    That happened to my friend's girl lab. They treated the UTI forever and nothing was working until they finally figured out it was E-coli. So glad the source has been determined and the right meds administered!

Even better if the first season will right Ki's issue and you keep both your kidneys!!