Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Unhappy UTI and other related problems

Kit has a UTI and she is put on antibiotics for 14 days. She has both crystals and bacteria from her urinalysis. We have since been filling up large water bowls all over the house to facilitate the process. The water bowl is now never empty. We also decided to switch her off of Fromm and to Acana to see if perhaps higher quality food changes things.
    So here are the problems:
    1. I have giant lakes of pee all over my front door and all over my house. She has peed everywhere. I have never seen so much pee in my life but she seems very well hydrated. We had previously controlled her water intake and now it is bananas. She drinks a lot of water but it almost makes me wonder if she has hypoglycemia, Polydipsia, or other endocrine related issues.

2. Since I've changed the food over to Acana, which has no probiotic like Fromm, my other dog Lucky (a Goldendoodle) is having horrible diarrhea all over the house. Our home is like a warzone but I am primarily worried about the dog's health. Lucky did poorly on Orijen large breed puppy, which was one of the reasons we went to Fromm. We also switche the food 20% at a time. I am making sweet potatoes and adding in some powdered probiotics. My husband wants to switch to something more agreeable or back to the old food. He is tired of cleaning up the brown chocolate milk. Believe me, I am not a fan of the clean up my self but I want my dog to be on the best food I can afford. Or perhaps the best food is one that works for one but not the other. The diarrhea has also made Lucky extremely thirsty.

We are taking them out at least 10 times a day. It is getting insane. .

I am knee deep in pee and poo.... (sorry terrible joke)We literally ran out of a whole costco package of paper towels we got a week ago. All jokes aside, what do you guys think I should do?

Jewel`s Photos

How long has Kit been on antibiotics? I saw that it was 7/20 when you posted that the urine analysis came back positive. If she's been on antibiotics since 7/21 and she was as of yesterday evening still having accidents, there is a possibility that the antibiotics isn't the right one. On the other hand, you say she's drinking a whole lot of water. You might want to ask the vet whether an UTI would lead to a dog drinking copious amounts of water. If extreme thirst isn't a common trait for UTI, you might want to consider running a full blood chemistry.

As for Lucky's runs, if he was doing fine on Fromm, seems to me there is really no good reason to force the switch given his reactions to Acana. If Lucky couldn't handle Orijen, the fact that he doesn't seem to tolerate Acana well either is not a huge surprise. It's the same company so there's likely something that they use that Lucky can't tolerate. I would also add that with my dogs, extra probiotics actually caused problems. Bro and Bijou got itchy when I put them on probiotic supplements and Ren had runny poo when I was giving him yogurt everyday. Once I stopped giving him yogurt, the poo started improving.

I am so sorry that you guys are having to clean up round the clock...

snow0160`s Photos

I just got off the phone with the vet and we are taking her in to get blood work later today at 4pm. I'm a little bit nervous.

As for Lucky...maybe it would be good to go back on Fromm.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Oh, dear. I am so sorry. Sebastian, Chester, and I are sending superhero strength to you, Lucky, and Kit, and some extra superhero sanity to you and your husband.

I am in full agreement with Jewel that the antibiotics *should* have worked to ease Kit's drinking problem and indoor accidents by now. Keep in mind, though, that the term "should" is a bit loaded. Without your vet's expertise and access to advanced veterinary medical science, it's impossible to tell if she needs a different antibiotic, a little more time on the same antibiotic, or if her symptoms are being caused by something else entirely. I agree that a full blood Chem panel is a good idea. If your vet disagrees, I would strongly urge you to get a second opinion.

As far as Lucky goes, I think there are a few options. As Jewel mentioned, you could switch him back to Fromm. It's a good food from a respected brand, and if he's doing well on it, there's no reason to change. If you really want them eating the same thing, you could try buying a smaller bag of Fromm and switching Lucky over gradually. Pick up a few cans of Fruitables Switch to help ease the transition (if stuff like that helps him). If you still aren't having any luck, you could try Fortiflora, but it's expensive, and as Jewel said, it makes some dogs worse. Also, you have to get it from the vet. Failing that, you could try them on a quality high-protein grain-free diet that has probiotics.

Sending good energy that you get this figured out soon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Simultaneous posting...

Please let us know what your vet says. I'll be sending you good energy all day.

Jewel`s Photos

Sending positive energy!

snow0160`s Photos

On my way back from the vet right now and I freaked out. She has a kidney infection. They did her comprehensive blood work and it came back normal except the kidneys. Then she got an X-ray which thankfully came back normal. This means she does not have enlarged kidneys due to inflamtion. I had to consult my parents who are both physicians. ...Just got off the phone as I started typing this. We won't know if it is uti related or congenital. both the vet and my parents advised to stay on the Antibiotic for the full 14 days and recheck her blood work. I am a scared ☹️ She is only 8 months old.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

being 8 months old might actually help her fight this....

she's strong, young & healthy in every other way...

good news, is that you kept asking questions and being her advocate...

and I agree with you & Jewel....maybe Lucky should go back on Fromm...you know the old adage...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

positive thoughts for Kit and the rest of her family

Sending lots of love and good energy.

It's very encouraging that the x-rays showed no signs of enlargement, inflammation, or damage to her kidneys. And, as scary as it is to think of her having issues with organs that perform vital functions, now that you have an idea of what is going on with her, you can continue the process of getting her well.

Hopefully hopefully hopefully, the antibiotics need more time to work, and you will notice her starting to feel better soon. I am sending all the good energy I can scrape together in the hopes that this is what happens - preferably no later than tomorrow morning, for your sanity's sake.

Even in the case that it is congenital, which I'm going to keep telling myself it's not, you live fairly close to an excellent vet school, and I'm going to guess that if there isn't a Veterinary Urologist in Orlando, there might be one in Gainesville. My guess is that Kit would receive better health care than most humans do. I know I can say that about Sebastian and Chester.

Deep breath. I know this is scary, but you have people who are here for you. Big big hugs for you, and belly rubs for Kit and Lucky! I hope they are both feeling better before you know it!

Jewel`s Photos

Take a deep breath, and exhale... repeat... I know it's very hard to not freak yourself out worrying... but I am definitely with Nancy, Kit being a puppy has great recovery capabilities. Big hugs to the family!