Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Made a Bad Mistake with Sir Moose

When we adopted this boy almost 3 years he was just plain Moose. But he is so regal, such a sweetie, I decided to knight him and he became Sir Moose. WELL, I think it has gone to his head. All the other dogs in the neighborhood are jut serfs and he lets them know it He has the loudest bark (most are terriers and Chihuahua yippers) andhe lets them know he can barker louder and longer than any of them. I think they have finally figured it out.

We live on a U shaped street, no side streets, and our house is on the first bend and that makes us have a pie slice shaped yard. The back yards of two houses on the street behind us back up to our back yard. One house just got a new older couple--with a dog. I have not seen it but it sounds like a mid size dog, maybe like a retriever size. And I do not think it was happy about it's new home becaue it barked and bared.

Well, Sir Moose always has to have the last word. that dog would let out 2 woofs, he would let out 3. It would let out 1,he would let out 2. It would let out 4,he had to do 5. He was telling it in royal dog knighdom woofs that he was Sir Moose of the House of Slayton and the only knight in the neighborhood. Everyone else was serfs...so he/she might as well get use to it I have not heard the dog yesterday or today. Maybe it listened to Sir Moose, maybe the owners put it in the house. But I think I made a mistake by kinightingSir Moose--it has gone to his beautiful head!
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

Too funny! Yup, it does seem like the Pyrs like to get their barks in! Kali loves "talking" to dogs several blocks away, when I can barely hear them. At 9 months now, she is still figuring out the priority of things in the yard. For whatever reason, she has just begun chasing birds. Now, this seem pointless to me, till last weekend she caught one in mid flight. Poor thing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Hahaha what a funny post. I have a similar story with a pyr. There was a GIANT pyr that lived in my neighborhood. I mean this is the largest pyr I've ever seen!! His name was Fluffy. This dog was mellow, calm, and majestic... and yes, he certainly was very fluffy. I started calling him Mr. Fluffy because he seemed so serious. Everyone in the nieghborhood knows about Mr. Fluffy and turns out other people added the Mr. to his name as well. Mr. Fluffy was our neighborhood celebrity and all the children flocked to him when he was out for a walk. I am sad that Mr. Fluffy's owner moved and so did her awsome dog. You know come to to think of it, I have no idea what the owner's name was. I just remembered her super cool dog.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Sir Moose ignores all the birds that come to feed in our yard and at the feeders, just right at the edge of our patio (to try to keep squirrels out of them) But ifhe sees a bird of prey flying around he always has to "scare" it off. And a couple of months ago he actually was after a buzzard in our yard. No idea what it was doing in our yard. It appeared to be young, not fully grown. We think it may have accidently flown into the wires over the back fence and was knocked down or something. It would fly a short distance a couple of feet off the ground and then run. Luckily when I told Sir Moose to back off, he did. The buzzard managed to get up on our 6 foot wood fence, rest a bit and then flew off.

Mr. Fluffy sounds like Sir Moose. He is so calm and laid back and he gravitates towards kids, tail just wagging. He gets an early morning walk every day and we have a lot or retires around here who come out to pet on him and he laps it up. He was about 7 when we adopted him 3 years ago come Sept., making him about 10 now. He was in to get his nails cut this morning. My clippers I had used on m y Irish Setters and golden retrievers doesn't do the job on his big thick HARD naisl.
    Jerry and Moose