Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Default Zechariah my new baby

I have way too much typing to do to tell the whole story right now but I cannot thank this site enough for all the learning I've done in the last 3 days...
    It's hard to see some red flags when you are pyr blind....

I am wondering if anyone can help me gauge how old he may be?

This is Zechariah they said he was 8 weeks and full pyr but I think he was just weaned and is younger than that. We were told they had given him his first round of shots and he'd been dewormed. He was very clean, well adjusted to the car and being handled, very healthy just so young...
    His eyes are still very blue brown, and his wiggly, slightly unsteady puppy pouncing, how far he can focus/see etc.. makes me feel he is younger.
    We got him Saturday 7/15 afternoon.
    He tried eating the puppychow they said he was on and literally did not chew any of it, and vomited it all out and then had watery diarrhea, and By Sunday night he was 5.5lbs! I did not weigh him Saturday night... but maybe lost .5 lb?
    This afternoon he is 6.25lbs and his stool is thick pudding, after moistening his food now with a touch of boiled chix, mashed potato and plain noodles as a small topping, he is eating good and drinking great ( has since day one) and eliminating right on schedule, everytime he wakes up from sleep, after playing hard and after eating.
    That said he is the calmest sweetest most amazing little guy, He's VERY SMART I am going to have my hands full.
    We have a vet appointment scheduled Friday AM.

I think he is 6weeks maybe a little more?

I am so I'm love..... here is a video from Saturday when he got home
    https://www.facebook.com/lori.billen...&theater<br />

And today at work with me.... I am so done for every time I see that face....
    My whole spirit has renewed with him. I lost my bern/pyr to torsion at a young 71/2 years he was healthy and happy
    He left a hole that would not heal, until now....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	8808

Name:	IMG_3904.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	8809

Cheers I and I hope to meet many of you and your pups as we grow!!!
    Zech's Mom

Puppy (New Member)

astrid`s Photos

Oh my goodness, what a cutie! I wish I had seen mine when she was a puppy--I adopted her last year when she was about a year old and she was full grown (albeit, much too skinny and with a terrible coat). Now that she's a healthy weight and her fur has grown in, people stop to ask what kind of dog she is all the time. Pyrs sure are beauties. I hope you'll post more pics of Zech as he grows up!

Jewel`s Photos

He is pure cuteness!!!!!! Congratulations!!

The way his head and expression look I could believe he's 6 weeks. But he could be a bit older too. Take another video, or two or three so we can see if he moves like a 6 or 8 week old pup...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Well, how do you do Zech and Zech's mom. He is sure a cute one. I really think he looks like he is only 6 weeks old or so. Use to be that was the age that sold or gave puppies away, 6 weeks. I got an English Setter at 4 weeks when her mother was killed and she was a tiny thing--but turned into a great quail dog.

Our Sir Moose was adopted almost 3 years ago and is about 10 now (and scaring off some monster out of our front yard at the moment., "Our first Pry, adopted at age 7 also, died just 3 1/21 weeks after we got him--hemangiosarcoma. His name was Shaggy and I joined this forum when we got him, hence my name is Shaggy's Mom. Anyway, Welcome to the group. Ton's of info here and usually if you need an answer to something to do with your little guy, someone will know the answer.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome, Zech's Mom and Astrid!

Please don't mind me. I'll be the one over here squealing like a 13-year-old fangirl. Zechariah is an absolute dreamboat. Also, he might remind me of Sebastian at that age. Sebastian was a lot of things as a puppy, and he got away with being every one of them by also being ridiculously cute. I see a LOT of mischief in your future!

All of the boys in Sebastian's litter were turned over to rescue at some point between the ages of 5 and 7 weeks. Because they were sick, I have the medical records for all of the puppies. The smallest one was 2lb. 5.5oz. and the largest one was 6lb. 2oz. Out of seven puppies, Sebastian was smack dab in the middle at 4lb. 15oz.

In short, I think it's entirely possible that Zechariah is younger than his breeder told you. Hopefully, your vet can help you determine a better guess as to how old he really is when you take him in on Friday. Also, I think Jewel is on to something with us needing more photos and videos to make a better guess!

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	8813
    Just for reference purposes, this was Sebastian when he was somewhere between the ages of 5 and 7 weeks, and being treated for Parvo. He's 32" tall at the shoulder, and 110lb. now.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

astrid`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Welcome, Zech's Mom and Astrid!

Please don't mind me. I'll be the one over here squealing like a 13-year-old fangirl. Zechariah is an absolute dreamboat. Also, he might remind me of Sebastian at that age. Sebastian was a lot of things as a puppy, and he got away with being every one of them by also being ridiculously cute. I see a LOT of mischief in your future!

All of the boys in Sebastian's litter were turned over to rescue at some point between the ages of 5 and 7 weeks. Because they were sick, I have the medical records for all of the puppies. The smallest one was 2lb. 5.5oz. and the largest one was 6lb. 2oz. Out of seven puppies, Sebastian was smack dab in the middle at 4lb. 15oz.

In short, I think it's entirely possible that Zechariah is younger than his breeder told you. Hopefully, your vet can help you determine a better guess as to how old he really is when you take him in on Friday. Also, I think Jewel is on to something with us needing more photos and videos to make a better guess!

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	8813
    Just for reference purposes, this was Sebastian when he was somewhere between the ages of 5 and 7 weeks, and being treated for Parvo. He's 32" tall at the shoulder, and 110lb. now.

Sebastian is ADORABLE! 110 pounds you say? Hmmm. Laika was 77 at her last vet visit, and she is a lot of dog.

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Thank you everyone for the fabulous hellos and shares;
    Astrid and Jewel THANKS! Jewel are those yours in the photo? that is such a cool moment to capture!
    and OMGosh Sebastion is such a puppy cutie, is he that handsome guy in your avatar too?
    OH That look... that puppy serious look; He does remind me of Zech LOL. Moose has his own version of that look too!
    I can see I am going to be in trouble... I was instantly owned.
    the family that bred him did an amazing job socializing to date... he isn't even afraid of the vacuum....
    I am so lucky Hubby & I have our own business just the 2 of us and Zech and Kodimay my Shiba princess 11 go to work with me everyday, I also have 2 cats and they are doing really well with him so far, The only one who is freaking out is my ****atiel, Be-bop, and he's jealous LOL... he's 14 and he goes to work with us most days too.
    Here's a video of Zechariah a few hours ago with toys
    https://www.facebook.com/lori.billen...type=2&theater

And these 2 clips are from 30 minutes or so ago this is the very first playtime they have had it's now day 4 at home... I am going to have my hands full

and now he sleeps.... Cheers everyone and I am so excited to be sharing this journey with this boy....

Name:	IMG_3933.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	8823 sorry the pix is upside down...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

He is adorable! I don't think he is 6 weeks more around 7 almost 8 weeks would be my guess.

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    He is adorable! I don't think he is 6 weeks more around 7 almost 8 weeks would be my guess.
    THANK YOU Tsunibear I am wondering if the whole transfer to us and then his bad tummy were making him seem so much younger... Of course it's not me obsessing at all LOL....
    The family who bred him gave me the info on his first shots and that he'd been dewormed, but I don't know how close any of that was to us picking him up. All good things to discuss with the vet.
    We rent a space inside another warehouse and there can be up to 6 other dogs in the building at times... I am trying to keep him separated until his shots and immune system are stronger and make sure he has nothing to share either... closer to 8 weeks is a little more piece of mind. Today is a whole new adventure and he seemed to grow last night LOL.

He has not barked though, not once, not at anything, He's whimpered a touch at teething and wanting, He's yelped like when he pulled the baby gate down and got scared, but no bark yet.

Cheers I wish everyone a great day!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Any shots he's received should have come with documentation from a veterinary clinic, otherwise I would definitely have them re-done. Several years ago, a member had her brand new puppy come down with Parvo despite having been vaccinated by the breeder. What we don't know is if the vaccine the puppy received was expired, improperly handled, etc. The puppy survived, but it was a long, painful, expensive journey for both puppy and owner.

Sebastian is the handsome guy in my avatar! He is (obviously) not 100% Pyr. We believe his Dam was a Saint Bernard, and his Sire was a Pyr/Anatolian mix, but there's really no way to know for sure. All I know is that he is 100% Sebastian, and that's pretty great, even with the parts that make him not-so-easy to live with at times.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian