Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Pancreatitis is exceedingly painful in both dogs and people. A relative of mine has pancreatic issues with elevated enzymes. Did your vet recommend supplementing digestive enzymes or specialty foods? I hope his conditions are temporary and he will recover soon.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Thanks, everyone.

Pain is a tricky thing with Benaiah. He exhibits very few signs of pain... but when he really doesn't feel good, he does get really anxious, nervous, and wants to be inside/with us/in a room somewhere, that sort of thing. But he extremely rarely whines or does anything like that. Up until that morning on the trip, I would not have thought he had any pain at all. He still doesn't act like he has any pain, even with the high levels, for that matter.

The vet suggested that we no longer give him any fatty scraps... i.e., if we do give him people food, chicken or turkey. He doesn't eat any vegetables

I think we will do that for a while and have his levels checked again and see if that lowers it. If not, we can pursue other treatment options. It does make sense that this would have been an issue on the most recent trip, due to some of the things he ate, and his general behavior on trips (he tends to not eat, which makes everyone slightly worried, so we give him what he will eat... even when he doesn't want to eat his food, he readily accepts bacon. :P )

Young Dawg (Member) Aspen's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulewog View Post
    Pain is a tricky thing with Benaiah. He exhibits very few signs of pain... but when he really doesn't feel good, he does get really anxious, nervous, and wants to be inside/with us/in a room somewhere, that sort of thing.
    My Aspen is the same way. When she doesn't feel well she gets irritable...like way irritable. It makes it difficult to talk to the Vet about my concerns because they want to focus on behavior or see the two as separate. It is comforting to now that other dogs can show their pain or discomfort in the same ways. It gives me more confidence to go back to the Vet and try to be heard.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen's Mom View Post
    My Aspen is the same way. When she doesn't feel well she gets irritable...like way irritable. It makes it difficult to talk to the Vet about my concerns because they want to focus on behavior or see the two as separate. It is comforting to now that other dogs can show their pain or discomfort in the same ways. It gives me more confidence to go back to the Vet and try to be heard.
    Yeah, it definitely affects his mood more than what I would typically think of as exhibiting pain. He typically becomes either nervous or depressed seeming, or both. The trouble is, he reacts that way to other things as well (e.g., construction/deep cleaning makes him apparently think we're moving, which makes him depressed ). It can be a bit tricky to figure out if he's in pain or just depressed about something.

Although, when he feels really sick, he definitely gets really worried/anxious/jumpy, not just moping. But he's really only done that ... well twice, once during the last snapping incident (I should have noticed), and once when he got a hold of a gel-handle brush and ate the gel.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by paulewog View Post
    Yeah, it definitely affects his mood more than what I would typically think of as exhibiting pain.
    Dogs exhibit pain in a variety of ways. Many DO NOT exhibit pain with crying. My vet told me about an experiment that was done where a female dog was spayed and pain meds were withheld. The dog was observed via camera. When she was alone, she acted like dog that didn't feel good. She was curled up and didn't move at all. But when a human walked into the room, she was up, circling the human with tail wagging, as if she was completely normal and not just had major surgery.

I've lost 3 pyrs to cancer. Without doubt there was a lot of pain for each of them. I don't like to think about it. I'll just say none of them exhibited pain in the commonly believed "typical" way.

I would just encourage all human guardians to familiarize oneself well with the normal behavior of one's pyr. When the dog is not acting normal, acting out of character, pay extra attention. The way I discovered my first pyr's cancer was one day I came home at lunch to let the dogs out to go potty and I noticed she was more clingy than usual and her back was slightly arched. Those were out of character. I immediately thought of bloat and knew there was no time to waste and I took her to the vet as an emergency. It turned out it was hemangiosarcoma and there was internal bleeding from a tumor on her spleen. Internal bleeding like that is supposed to be very painful but all she exhibited was following me around and slightly arched back.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I would just encourage all human guardians to familiarize oneself well with the normal behavior of one's pyr. When the dog is not acting normal, acting out of character, pay extra attention.
    Can't agree with this more. I've had a nagging concern about Ru since June. You can't really go to the vet and say, "my dog isn't jumping up and coming running over to do the helicopter tail wag when I come in the yard" but I was very aware that not jumping up was a deviation from Ru's normal behavior and have been watching her like a hawk. There was a lot of externals you could chalk it up to. Hot weather, smoke from wildfires, working at night, etc. but none of it really settled the concern in my mind. There's no doubt now that the Valley Fever was affecting her then but she gave no other sign despite the bad condition of her lungs. She did everything else normally - worked, played, went on runs, ate, etc. I've gone so far as to watch my three from a hidden location pretty often so I can see how they act when I'm not around.Watching him move when I was not present was my first indication that Tyro was having hip issues and I have to make a point of observing Lily's gait when she can't see me in order to gauge how much her joints are bothering her. The way they are able to hide pain is incomprehensible. I might be a bit obsessive about my watching but I think I will never recover from the knowledge of how much pain Zouri was in with a massive tumor in his chest and that we never knew. Still hurts me to this day and I want to be sure I am able to spare my current babies a situation like that if it is within my power to do so.