Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default I Was Bitten By Snake

This morning about 8:15 I went into my one flower bed that has a ton of Japanese Fern under the bay windows. There was a lot of dead in it that needed to come out so new could sprout. So I was putting out the dead, reaching under the many fronds when I felt a sharp sting on my hand. Yanked my hand out and saw two tiny blood spots about 12 inch or less apart. I have seen snake bites on dogs so I knew what it was.

Several years ago I killed two coral snakes in the yard (put a year apart) but I was pretty sure it was not a coral as they need to bite fingers, etc and more or less chew. But also, my golden boy Buick was hit in the face by a rattle snake out there in the back yard, and a couple of weeks later neighbor's dog was hit in chest and the snake had been hiding in an old wooden shed that had blown down in a storm and they were removing it. We figure it was the same one that got Buck.

Only poison snakes I know of around here are rattle snakes, copperheads and coral. Wasn't a coral, I was sure, could have been one of the other two.

So happened Jerry was out walking Sir Moose and I was so scared I called 911 and they sent EMS out at once. I had told them I have a pacemaker, my heart doesn't work without it, I am in lower end stage 3 kidney failure and diabetic, so I was really worried.

When they got her, looked at my hand and said yes, snake bite, had I seen it. No. They were examining my hand when Jerry rushed in. He had started up the street and seen the ambulance in front of the house. Every time we have ewer called one, one of us ended up in hospital.

Jerry and one EMS guy went out and beat all around and looked all around but found no snake. Said it had probably skeedaddled after biting me. I had no swelling nor redness, tho it did hurt a little. We decided it was just a harmless snake I had scared and I said I didn't want to go to hospital. They told me to keep an eye on it and if any redness or discoloration or swelling appeared, get to the hospital..

I truthfully felt like a fool for calling 011, but I was here alone and had no idea what kind of snake it was. They told me I did exactly the right thing.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggys Mom View Post
    I truthfully felt like a fool for calling 011, but I was here alone and had no idea what kind of snake it was. They told me I did exactly the right thing.
    You absolutely did the right thing!!!!! So glad you are ok

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

So glad you're okay! And, yes, you did the right thing calling 911!

Growing up, we lived on a heavily wooded lakefront property just outside of Orlando. It was not all that uncommon for us to find coral snakes swimming in our pool. We learned the red on yellow, kill a fellow poem very quickly.

My mom was nearly bitten one day by a young rattlesnake hiding in a tub of vermiculite. Fortunately, the snake struck the metal scoop she had in her hand instead.

May your weekend be far less eventful, and again, the boys and I are glad that you are okay!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

so glad you're okay....what a scare!!

calling the medics is exactly what a person should do...especially since you were alone at the time

I'll bet Sir Moose didn't leave your side all day

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

You did absolutely the right thing in calling 911. Snakebite not really something you want to wonder about even if you're in perfect health! So glad you are ok. I'm sure both Jerry and Moose are glad you made that call and took good care of their most valued treasure!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Thanks all. My hand did hurt a little last night and I didn't think there was any swelling---until today. I realized then that it had been somewhat puffy in my "thumb muscle" if you want to call it that. We figure it was most likey a checkered garter snake as we have seen them around from time to time and I had to run one out of the house a few months back. I think perhaps it was in the clump of dead fern that was grabbed hold of down on the ground and I either hurt it or scared the do diddle out of and it just bit. I never felt it at all, but I did have a larg clump of dead fern fronds and even some live oak leaves that had gotten under there..
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Calling 911 was the right thing to do especially since you didn't know what kind of snake bit you. I live in an area with tons of different kinds of snakes and we were told if you are bit by a snake and you didn't see it or have it's dead body call just in case always. I am glad you are okay though.