Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Ahh!! Beethoven!!

Kit is a really good dog and is generally really well behaved. She is 7 months old right now and we have trusted her to be free in the house and she does great! Her only issue is she has a weird water obsession and found her drinking out of the toilet. Ok. You are probably wondering why the title Beethoven. I suppose it could be any misbehaving movie dog but I always remember my childhood movie dog, who was Beethoven. Well we decided she was doing SO WELL she should have all the water she wants and a new liver treat. BIG MISTAKE!!

I was sitting on the sofa reading the evening news on my iPad and boom she pees all over the newly washed white sofa. I mean this was the largest puddle I've ever seen any dog release. The cushion is completely soaked and there is a lake next to the sofa. Then she freaks out and heads to the door and have a massive diarrhea on the new carpet. To make things worse she freaked out and started running around the house while having the diarrhea. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Well at least she didn't roll in it. I said to my husband that at least she makes our lives very interesting with lots of great memories.

Jewel`s Photos

Oy, sounds like something was very wrong for her to have lost control of both #1 & 2! Poor baby

edit to add: good thing mom has every vacuum possibly needed to clean this mess up!

snow0160`s Photos

Haha I am the vacuum collector. Good answer.
    It is 11:52 pm and I am in bed ready for sleep. What do I hear before sleep. Water dripping in by the bedroom door. Yep she peed by the bedroom door. Our house is like a water park.

Jewel`s Photos

This doesn't sound like house training issue, she may quite possibly have an UTI.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

This is why nature makes them cute.

Sebastian didn't stop having "accidents" until well after his first birthday, so I do feel your pain. The quotation marks are because he and I both knew darn well at the time that every mess he made inside was fully intentional.

He also came with me to work every day and had a very sensitive stomach. The office secretary brought in a bag of beggin' strips and gave him one, and to say that the resulting diarrhea was explosive diarrhea was explosive is probably an understatement. It was on the ceiling. I cried.

With all of that being said, I will say that the only times Sebastian EVER had accidents in front of me, it was because he was trying to tell me something. In my case, we were lucky, and he had a UTI. This seems to be highly unusual behavior for Kit, so I think it might be a good idea to take her in to the vet out of an abundance of caution.

Also, start taking note of how much she is drinking. Is it an unusual amount? Is she draining the entire toilet bowl in one sitting? Is she drinking significantly more water than Lucky?
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

We had this exact issue when we first brought her home at 8 weeks. She would just drink water nonstop and our trainer suspected that she had an UTI. We brought her to the vet and collected her urine. I will forever have funny memories of chasing her around outside the vet's office with a ladle. Anyhow, the results came back negative. But she continued having the same issues so I brought her back to the vet again. As a precaution, the vet gave us some antibiotics because he suspected vaginal infection. We also started regulating her water by giving it to her at set times. The problem went away. We never gave her free range of water but I felt bad so we started doing it now.

I took her to the groomers about a month ago and she mentioned that I had clipped her pee guide fur. I didn't realize female dogs had this. I had done it because it looked like a mess so I didn't want bacteria to collect to prevent a UTI. I am now wondering if this is the source of the problem. Without the peeing guide, the urine is spraying all over her fur, which causes her to collect bacteria resulting in chornic UTI? My husband thinks it isn't another UTI but it is a behavioral problem. Now I want to take her to the vet but he thinks we should regulate her water again. Should I go to the vet? Do you think she has a kidney or bladder issue? I had been reading up on this before and some dogs have poorly formed ducts for proper bladder control. Am I starting to sound like a hypocondriac who reads too much crap from the internet? I did see this article from Dr. Karen Becker a while ago.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I would take her in, have a urinalysis/urine culture done, as well as a blood Chem panel, just out of an overabundance of caution - even if your vet thinks you're being silly. Our vet at the time did. We ended up changing vets not too long after that, and our new vet likes that I bring them in for stuff like that.

This could be just a personality quirk, or it could be a medical condition. If it is a medical condition, it's better to find out sooner, as opposed to later.

Please let us know what the vet says!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

snow....agree that there may be an underlying issue with Kit's health, I would probably take her in if she were my girl...

do you keep any type of "cleaner" in the toilet? I would assume you don't, but with her loosing control of both urinating & defecating
    it was something that came to mind

yes....I would restrict her water intake for now until you can figure out what is going on with her....and maybe restrict her access at night to the bathroom, or some room that has an easy to clean flooring!

please let us know how things go with Kit...

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    We had this exact issue when we first brought her home at 8 weeks. She would just drink water nonstop and our trainer suspected that she had an UTI.
    At 8 weeks they have little bladder control and thus if they are drinking a lot of water, they would be peeing everywhere constantly. That was Ren. He was crated during the day and I restricted his water intake during the day. When we got home and he was let out of the crate, I'd let him drink as much as he wanted. He was pretty much peeing nonstop.

On average pups have very good control of their bladder by 6 months - even pee machine Ren was doing very well by the time he turned 6 months. I do believe he still had a few accidents at 6 months, but by 7 months the accidents disappeared. Thus when a 7 month old who has been doing well on potty training have accidents like you described, there is more likelihood, as compared to an 8 week old having accidents, that something may be wrong and I would not think you'd be overly neurotic if you had her checked out.

snow0160`s Photos

No more diarrhea today but she will drink the whole bowl dry if we don't stop her. I mean this dog will drink a gallon of water if it was available. I don't know if this is a physiological condition or what but we will bring her to the vet tomorrow morning. I do like my vet and he is highly reviewed. I do think his staff thinks I am a helicopter parent. Better safe than sorry! I will keep you guys posted. Thank you very much for the advice and understanding.