Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Owner. 9 Week old boy growled when I touched his food bowl. Real worried

Hello all!
    My family and I are new Pyr owners of a 9 week old baby boy who has been EXCEPTIONAL and has shown signs of extraordinary intelligence and patience.
    Today is day 3 and he has been exceptionally gentle until this evening when I was holding his food bowl in place as he was eating... And then he started to growl. I was shocked because this was nothing that I would expect from him so far. Please tell me this is normal and what I need to do to correct this behavior. I have been so happy with the way he has been so far. He's literally a perfect boy and I dont want this to be a sign of an aggressive dog, especially when I got this breed for their gentle demeanor.

Please put my worries at ease, or at least tell me what I need to do.

Thanks in advance

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

Nine weeks is very young to be exhibiting the kind of behavior you describe. The very best advice I can give to you is to contact a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist. Here is a link to their directory:

http://www.animalbehaviorsociety.org...-directory.php

CAABs are not dog trainers. They are true experts in animal behavior holding Doctorate degrees in a field related to animal behavior before they can begin the lengthy certification process. There are only about 50 in the US. I have personally worked with one with my severely fearful dog, and I can say that her expertise literally saved his life. Her rates were similar to those of your average behavior modification trainer. Your average behavior modification trainer does not have the skill set to diagnose and treat this.

Also, make an appointment with your vet to see if there are any medical conditions s/he wants to rule out.

Chester, my fearful dog, also has some very mild resource guarding issues. As such, I try to avoid putting him in situations that might set him off. He gets all meals, long lasting treats, and new bones in his crate with the door closed. It helps him to relax, knowing that no one is going to come along and steal his goodies, while helping us to relax, knowing that we can walk past him without him freaking out. I also refuse to give either of my dogs rawhide, as it turns them both into snarling, resource guarding, fiends.

Please keep us updated with what you find out. I am sending lots of good energy to you and your young puppy!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

I would have to second that this is not normal behavior and you are best off seeking professional help to make sure it is modified in the right way.