Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pup with Constant Loose Stool!

Hi, all! I'm new to the forum and have a 10 week old Great Pyrenees pup named Kuma. He's had diarrhea and loose stool since we brought home two weeks ago. I've tried pumpkin in his food since then and it's gone back to the proper color but the consistency hasn't changed. We've had him checked for giardia which came back negative. I'm wondering if it could be allergies? We were told to keep him on the Puppy Chow (ew.) that the breeder was using for the first month and then transition him to a higher quality grain free food. Maybe the fillers, grains, and corn are making him ill? I'd appreciate any input!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

When was his last fecal? I would have it checked again, as Giardia can be difficult to diagnose. You may also want to talk to your vet about the pros and cons of giving your pup a course of Panacur without a specific diagnosis. It's a broad-spectrum anti-parasitic that will take care of a host of things that could be causing your pup's problems. It's not expensive.

As far as the right food for him once you're ready to switch, while I would agree that you will definitely want something more nutrient rich, grain-free might not be the best choice for him, unless he's allergic to grains. If he's got a sensitive tummy, it may take some trial and error to find the right food for him. I had good luck with Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy Formula, after trying a lot of things that Sebastian couldn't tolerate, but every dog is different. He has no specific protein or grain allergies.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

His last fecal was two weeks ago, I'll talk to the vet about running another fecal on him though. I've not heard of Panacur but will ask about it and see what he thinks. We were planning to switch to Zignature since they are a chicken free and limited ingredient, but I will look into the Holistic Select. Why would grain free not be the best choice? I've always heard that grain free is the way to go.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Sonata & Kuma...

first of all let me ask you where Kuma came from....inside a home, outside...in a different part of the country than where he is now?

second...how is he adapting to the heat & humidity?

how much & how often is he eating?

when you transition him off of the puppy chow please remember to do is very slowly....over a period of at least a week....and it is up to you on what food to give him....our last Pyr was never on puppy food of any sorts....so if you continue to keep him on a puppy formula, just make sure it is for large breed pups...the one that Sebastian's Mom suggested sounds good!

what does your vet think about the loose stool....how is Kuma's over all weight & health?

I don't find it unusual for a pup to have loose stool when they get to a new environment....and the pumpkin might be too much for his little system to adjust to at his age....

I know they look large...but they are still puppies & need time to adjust to all the different things going on around them.

Puppy (New Member)

He came from a coworker of my SO, she apparently breeds her Pyrenees on occasion. He came from a town about an hour from us. He gets a cup of kibble and about half a can of wet food a day, this seems like it's not enough to me but he wont eat much more than that. He seems to be adapting rather well, we keep the house at about 72 degrees and he really only goes outside to potty and for a quick play sometimes. He weighs just over 12lbs and his health is good aside from the loose stool and bad gas. The vet recommended the pumpkin for the stool but I can stop using it if it might be doing more harm than good.

I would definitely rerun the fecal, and talk to your vet about the Panacur. My two gave me Giardia a few years ago, and I was the only one who didn't test positive. I sure did respond to the meds, though (thank goodness). With him being so young, and not responding at all to canned pumpkin, it really does sound like there's a good chance that he could have some sort of parasite wreaking havoc in his digestive tract. You definitely want to clear that up before going out in search of the right food.

Full disclosure, my two are currently eating Merrick grain-free. I tried it, and they are thriving on it, so I see no reason to switch until something changes. Again, every dog is different. Grain free is all the rage right now, but it's only really "better" for some dogs - those who don't tolerate grains well. Conversely, there are other dogs who don't do well on diets that are too high in protein. Where does Kuma lie on the spectrum? It's too early to tell. The Zignature limited ingredient diet is great for dogs who need a limited ingredient diet. I'm not sure you're there, yet.

The best advice I can give you is to give the diagnostic process some time to work so that you can figure out what exactly is going on. As hard as it is for me to say this, keep him on the Puppy Chow, while you explore the parasite route. Then, move him up to a higher quality food. Then, maybe try an unusual protein. Then, maybe try a true limited ingredient. While it is definitely unpleasant, diarrhea isn't going to do irreparable harm to a dog that is eating and drinking normally.

I could be wrong on this, but from what I've seen, dogs with issues with different proteins tend to have more GI issues, while dogs with grain/corn/filler issues seem to present with skin issues more often. I hope someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

I do hope that this is just a little bug that will clear up quickly. Please keep us posted!

The wet food may have something to do with it, too. Wet food tends to be pretty rich, and contains a whole lot of moisture. Full disclosure, I use it at my house for shameless bribery.

With the next fecal, talk to your vet about nutritionally appropriate food additives that have less moisture content than wet food. That might help firm things up a little bit.

Puppy (New Member)

Hey, guys. Kuma is having another fecal run on Monday. I've noticed he's lost exactly half a pound from the 13th until today....is this a symptom of giardia?

Jewel`s Photos

Generally pups at Kuma's age would be gaining 2-3 lbs a week. Hard to say if the 1/2 lb is just water weight or something. If he loses more weight tomorrow, then a vet visit is definitely in order. It is not all that uncommon for fecal to come back negative for giardia but the dog actually has it. Even if the fecal comes back negative I would discuss with the vet about deworming him anyway and treat for giardia.

Puppy (New Member)

So there is an update on Kuma! His fecal came back negative again, but our vet suggested we go ahead and treat for Giardia as well as another general dewormer. He's continued to lose weight and wont touch his food. The vet recommended we have an allergy panel done and to pick up a small bag of dehydrated/freeze dried food to try and entice him to eat his kibble until the results come in.