Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Weight gain after puppies and spay

My female was always around 110 pounds she had a litter of puppies in April of 2016 I had her spayed after she recovered from the pups she was 98 pounds in July of 2016 and has been gaining a lot of weight since she's up to 153 pounds my vet did a complete blood panel and everything is normal I feed her 4 cups of food a day which doesn't seem like a lot for a dog her size...I started walking her after she gets fed to try and get some weight off my vet said next step is to do a Cushing Disease test....did anyone else ever run into weight gain after pups and spaying?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

45 pounds is a lot of weight for an adult dog to gain unexpectedly in just over a year. I am definitely no expert, but I would suspect that there is an underlying medical condition causing the weight gain. Depending on her age, activity level, and what you are feeding her, 4 cups may be the right amount for weight management for a healthy dog, or it may just a bit much. I don't see it being so much to cause that kind of weight gain without a medical condition.

Based on what you describe, I think Cushing's might be a good guess. I think thyroid might be another good guess - especially if she has any other symptoms.

Please keep us updated with what you find out!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

She is 2 years old the vet tested her thyroid it was at a normal level I'm going to decrease her food a little and make sure she gets walked everyday and if she still gains more this month I'll be doing the Cushing test he said its a long test I'd drop her off in the morning and they'd keep her most of the day I just want to figure out what's going on with my baby her activity level is pretty good I kept one of her pups and she runs around and plays with her throughout the day

If it were me, I would not wait for any more weight gain. Given her very young age, that kind of weight gain is even more alarming.

Carrying that much extra weight is not only uncomfortable for her, it also greatly increases her chances of dying early from some pretty nasty diseases - osteosarcoma included. Her growth plates may not even be completely closed. The danger to her is real.

There is also the responsibility to future generations to figure out what is going on. If what is going on with your girl has even a partial genetic component, it is your responsibility to contact the owners of her puppies and let them know so that those puppies aren't bred (if it's not already too late). Hopefully, it goes without saying that the puppy you kept should not be bred.

Please get her help ASAP, and if your vet can't figure it out, get a second opinion. I don't see this being the result of her just getting too many treats. Something is seriously wrong.

Puppy (New Member)

I kept in close contact to where all the pups went they are all fixed so I don't have to worry about future generations...I'm going to call and get her Cushing's test scheduled

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Jrtluvr.....

a weight gain this dramatic would be a concern for me as well....
    I have never had a female give birth then spayed....so I can't comment on if/how that would effect her.

If you are going to cut back on her food as a possibility to her weight gain, may I suggest using green beans to replace the amount of food you cut back on?

In other words, if you cut her back to 3 cups of food a day, I would add 1/3 cup green beans to each of those meals (assuming you are feeding her 3-4 times a day) Green beans are full of fiber....fills her up...not out!

I had a male that was neutered very early in his life (8 weeks)..he had a terrible time with weight gain & the green bean diet helped him.

Also, I would make a list of all the food & treats that she gets during a day....depending upon what she gets, you might be surprised at the calories she's consuming.

I do hope you will keep us up to date on her progress & diagnosis

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

My friend just told me to try the green beans today too so I'm going try that starting this evening

Sending good energy that you get this figured out quickly!

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you I'm going to take her to the vet for a weight check either this evening or Saturday morning to see where her weight is at now if she hasn't lost anything and gained more I'll be getting the Cushings test done ASAP

Puppy (New Member)

Well I took Evie for a weight check this evening and she weighed 140 so either the scale was off last month or she lost 13 pounds in a month if that's possible to lose that much in such a short time I just recently changed her diet but either way I'm happy to see her weight down some I hope she continues to lose