Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Roomba or similar smart vacuum?

So we are moving to a larger house with an entire floor without carpet (hardwood/fake wood). As such, I think it is time for my wife to stop being driven insane by the fur balls which magically appear within a few days of a vacuum already. Anyone here had any experience with the different vacuums out there and how well they handle the Pyr's long and tough fur? Don't want to get something which jams or dies every time it tries to clean the house so any experiences are appreciated.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am a huge roomba fan. I have one downstairs and one upstairs, and they do a great job of keeping up with all of the hair and dirt.

I also like that they were designed for DIY repair. My upstairs roomba is 6 or 7 years old, and the cleaning head keeps getting Chester hair in the gears. About once a month, I take the whole thing apart, clean out all the hair, and put it all back together. It works perfectly after that. Of course, I really should just order a replacement cleaning head for $50, but that makes too much sense.

I will say that if you're trying to decide which one to get, in addition to the older one upstairs (560, I think), I have a newer one (860) downstairs. The new rubber extractors are much easier to clean than the brushes on the older models, especially when you're dealing with hair. However, I feel like the bins don't hold as much dirt on the newer models, and I don't like the design as well. Sometimes the grime doesn't make it all the way into the bin, so when you go to empty the bin, the consolidated dirt just ends up back on the floor. Also, with the newer models, you have to clean the filter after every use, otherwise, the roomba will stop cleaning effectively. It's easy enough to do when you empty the bin.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

As a long time LGD owner, I feel your pain. I think I have more vacuums than anyone in the world. Can you guess how many?..... wait for it.....8 vacuums!! I have two persian cats and one big white dog! The tumbleweeds are everywhere!!! I would rake Kit and she still sheds all over the place at a reduced rate. If you have a pyr, a good vacuum is a must!
    I also have a roomba but I think mine is much older maybe 7 years? This thing gets trapped all the time and gets full with hair. Currently, it is an overpriced cat toy. I hear great things about the roomba online and from people who own the newer expensive version like Sebastian's mom. My favorite vacuum is the cordless Dyson V6. It is cordless, convenient for daily use and have a fantastic suction. I don't break out the big dyson unless there is a serious issue because I hate cords and also have a back problem. I get my Dysons from bed bath and beyond because they will stand behind their products so if it breaks, you can it back to the store even beyond the return date to swap for a new one. If your model is discontinued they will give you the market value of that model.

I have the following vacuums just in case you were wondering about any
    1. Bissel spotbot- great for accidents because of the automated cleaning function. leave it and forget it
    2. Dyson v6 - cordless vacuum for daily use. Easy conveient and effortless
    3. Dyson ball animal- great for serious use ie after you've raked your dog
    4. Black and Decker wet vac - great for cleaning anything wet or gross
    5. Hoover Max Extract 77 - best deep carpet steam vac.
    6. Oreck commercial vacuum - This was my first real vacuum. I got it after my last dog broke my cheap shark vacuum. I kept it because the vacuum repair person told me this was the best brand.
    7. roomba pet - 4 series? Not that great because there is so much dog hair to pick up.
    8 . hand held wet vac from black and decker- this thing is a joke and I have no idea why I haven't gotten rid of it yet.

Snow, you do raise a good point about them getting stuck from time to time. I have a low-profile sofa, as well as a low platform bed. I do have to go on the occasional roomba rescue mission. I have the roombas programmed to run every day. The upstairs one runs in the mornings when I am downstairs with the dogs. The downstairs one runs at night when I am in bed, but (usually) not quite asleep. That way, if roomba gets into trouble, I can be around to supervise, but not be in the way. I'm not sure any of the other robots have a lower profile, though.

The other thing to point out that some people don't mind about the roomba, while other people loathe, is the navigation, or lack thereof. It really seems to be a random pattern. Some days, roomba will even miss a spot. Chances are, he'll get it the next day. For people like me, this is okay. For some true type-A cleanophiles (totally not a word, but it sounds nicer than neatnik or clean freak), it is the equivalent of robotic nails on a chalkboard, especially if you have area rugs or carpet (haphazard vacuum lines). Apparently, some of the other robot brands do have more structured navigation, but I'm not sure how they perform in other areas.

I, too have quite the vacuum collection, but my roombas carry the brunt of the load. As much as I love my Miele Cat & Dog (minus the rotary hand tool attachment, which is useless), I haven't used it in a couple of months because I really haven't needed to. It's not because the dogs are clean - it's because the roombas are doing a good enough job of keeping up.

If only they had something for cleaning the rest of the house...

snow0160`s Photos

Sebastian's mom your post has inspired me to use my roomba. I'm going to give it a go. I forgot to mention that I have four dogs and two cats. It is a hairy situation! One creative use I've had for the roomba was mount my gopro on it to film the cat who loves chasing this thing. It does not go very fast but it is pretty funny.
    I am looking at my roomba right now and am unsure what version it is. It is white and old so I think it might be the original. I am not a clean freak but I need the corners to be tumbleweed free. Clean freak and multi pet household are like oxymoron. I do wish my home was hair free but I just try not to wear a lot of black.

Snow, if you have this one,
    https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-530-Ro.../dp/B000UU7TZE
    Then it's similar to the one I have upstairs. I would recommend upgrading it with one of these
    https://www.amazon.com/Roomba-Irobot.../dp/B0096LAJ50
    If it came with the smaller bin. The extra capacity makes a big difference!

snow0160`s Photos

I took the roomba apart a few days ago and had to order new parts because the brush was breaking. The new parts finally arrived yesterday and as I was putting it in, I've found it is the pet version of Roomba 545. The new parts were ordered from amazon and it was $14 so if it works well I will be happy.

Sending good energy! With any luck, this will cut down on the amount of lint rolling/brushing you have to do!

Hey, all depends on your budget.
    Read this FAQ on robovacs http://tenrows.com/robot-vacuum/ .
    And you'll end up with clear vision of your perfect device