Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Kjern1112`s Photos

Default I've tried everything.

Hello!! I have a 16 week old male Pyr who, for the last month has been suffering with sever itchy, dry, purplish/pink skin. I've taken him to the vet three times, the first trip suggested he had an allergic reaction to something and he was given a steroid shot, the next trip suggested some sort of bacterial infection, he was put on a two week antibiotic, and the third trip suggested fleas.. He has no fleas, he's on trifexis. Nothing has worked, my boy is miserable. He can't be a puppy because his days consist of scratching and gnawing! I've jumped from baby Benadryl to baby Claritin to expensive skin soothing balm, medicated wash, allergy drops and nothing working. Absolutely nothing. He is 100% inside and is only outside when he is walked. If anyone had any suggestions please please feel free to let me know.. These vet trips and guessing cures are getting very expensive and Charlie still has no relief.. I even went to the extent of getting him groomed thinking he was too furry and they bout shaved him and his skin isn't any better.. I actually think it's worse. I switched his food from pedigree large breed puppy to IAMS large breed puppy yesterday but nothing has seemed to change. He looks terrible, he has small bump looking scabs on his belly, under his armpits and elbows and knees.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

sorry to hear about Charlie's misery...and I know it becomes yours as well!!

has the vet ruled out ants....or anything else that might be biting him?

has the vet done a scraping to see if there are any mites?

does the food you are giving Charlie now, or before have grain?

switching foods quickly can actually upset their tummies...so if you change him over to a grain free, do it gradually...over a period of at least a week

if it is a food allergy, grain would be the first suspect...then you might have to eliminate other ingredients if it isn't the grain....

please let us know how things go with him

Jewel`s Photos

I am sorry that little Charlie is so miserable. We are also dealing with itchies with Ren, who is now 10 months old.

I would second nick's spirit that you want to make sure Charlie's been tested for mange. There was another member that joined asking about how to deal with her pup's "allergies." It turned out her pup had mange, not allergies.

The next thing, Pedigree food is full of corn. Some dogs do not react well to corn at all. If you just changed the food yesterday, you will not see results right away. You need to give it a few days for the corn to get out of Charlie's system if that's what he's reacting to. But Iams also contains corn. If Charlie improves in the next couple of weeks by the change to Iams, then he may not be reacting to corn.

I would suggest that perhaps you want to try a limited ingredient food. Natural Balance has a full line of limited ingredient food. Other brands do too. I would suggest duck, venison, or fish protein. If it were me, I would also avoid those with sweet potatoes as well. Sweet potatoes has higher sugar content that can encourage more yeast growth.

The bumps and scapes could be staph, a secondary infection due to the severe scratching and chewing. That needs to be cleared up with antibiotics. You also need to check with your vet about which antibiotics is given because certain staph strains are immune to certain antibiotics.

My pup's itchies started full force suddenly in March when pollen season started. He took Zyertec for a while and for the first 2 weeks it seemed to help. I was told by my vet that Zyrtec works better for some dogs than Benadryl. As for Claritin, I tried that with another dog that had allergies and it didn't work at all. Ren is still itchy but not nearly as bad as he was a few months ago. Pollen season is over. I am not quite sure if he has food allergies as I am still trying to figure that one out. Currently he's eating Instinct grain free rabbit based kibbles.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am so sorry that poor Charlie is so miserable right now.

I totally agree about switching to a true limited ingredient diet, as well as having your vet run tests to determine if Charlie has picked up mites or a secondary bacterial infection.

Also, just because he's on a flea preventative does not necessarily rule out fleas. I learned that the hard way this Spring, when the fleas in our area became resistant to the preventative I'd had Sebastian on. Different meds seem to work better in different regions. I would reexamine the issue with your vet and ask if s/he has seen a number of cases of fleas becoming resistant to trifexis. If Charlie has a flea allergy, it could definitely cause the additional irritation.

Finally, if you feel like you're getting nowhere with this vet, don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Sometimes, all it takes is a fresh perspective. I changed Sebastian's vet when he was about a year old, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. My dogs get better health care than any humans I know!

Please let us know what you find out!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member)

Kjern1112`s Photos

Okay, so I took charlie to the vet (again) and he gave charlie an itch, steroid shot and it has worked wonders! The only negative side is that for the first 48 hours Charlie had to pee constantly. He's usually walked 3-4 times a day since he's still a puppy, and crated at night with no accidents, but within the first 48 hours after his shot he had to be walked every 2 hours and had two accidents in his crate over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjern1112 View Post
    Hello!! I have a 16 week old male Pyr who, for the last month has been suffering with sever itchy, dry, purplish/pink skin. I've taken him to the vet three times, the first trip suggested he had an allergic reaction to something and he was given a steroid shot, the next trip suggested some sort of bacterial infection, he was put on a two week antibiotic, and the third trip suggested fleas.. He has no fleas, he's on trifexis. Nothing has worked, my boy is miserable. He can't be a puppy because his days consist of scratching and gnawing! I've jumped from baby Benadryl to baby Claritin to expensive skin soothing balm, medicated wash, allergy drops and nothing working. Absolutely nothing. He is 100% inside and is only outside when he is walked. If anyone had any suggestions please please feel free to let me know.. These vet trips and guessing cures are getting very expensive and Charlie still has no relief.. I even went to the extent of getting him groomed thinking he was too furry and they bout shaved him and his skin isn't any better.. I actually think it's worse. I switched his food from pedigree large breed puppy to IAMS large breed puppy yesterday but nothing has seemed to change. He looks terrible, he has small bump looking scabs on his belly, under his armpits and elbows and knees.

Puppy (New Member)

My bubby is wondering if you have considered household chemicals. She says that she had a kitty years ago that was allergic to febreeze. Or, maybe something you're using to clean your floors. Bubby bought a floor steamer when Pop pop said he thought they had bedbugs. Turns out it was chiggers, and not something in the house at all. That was pre-me. Just a thought.