Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Mary`s Photos

Default Won't get into car

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	8788My female has traveled regularly in the car but is always resistant. This has escalated recently to outright refusal. She is spayed and has never liked getting in even as a pup but now at 1 1/2 she can't be coerced easily. I do not drive like a maniac and car is big enough. She loves getting to see the people at the other end of the trip and doesn't display motion sickness. Any ideas?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

Sebastian has a long, storied, history of throwing tantrums when comes to getting in the car. Granted, my car isn't exactly big, but he doesn't know that. Tantrums range from jumping up and giving me a Pyr paw to the face, to rolling over on his back and refusing to budge, to the one time where he air snapped at me and meant business. In fairness to him, that time, he didn't feel well, and I was trying to force the issue. Lesson learned.

Sebastian is not the world's most cooperative dog, but he is usually pretty treat motivated, so when his Pyr-headed refusal to get in the car was at its worst, I found that keeping a box of his favorite dog cookies helped to motivate him. It wasn't a 100% cure, but it helped most of the time.

I will say that at 1 1/2 years, Sebastian was going through the very worst of his adolescence, and on a bratty behavior scale of 1-10 with 1 being angelic and 10 being diabolical, he routinely registered somewhere in the 15-20 range. Now that he is a full-fledged adult, he is much much much much easier to live with.

Hopefully, your girl will grow out of this soon! In the meantime, if she has a favorite non-perishable treat that you can keep in the car out of her reach, it may be worth it to see if she can be bribed into cooperative behavior!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Kit loves car rides but my Goldendoodle HATED cars. He hated it so much he slipped out of his collar once to escape. Now he would jump in voluntarily. I tried treats for him but it did not work because he was just too nervous. I think the key is to reintroduce car rides slowly and to always go to a fun place like the dog park or pet store. I would go somewhere fun and a short ride away. It took about 30 car rides before the doodle willinginly jumped in. I also made a back seat extender for my sedan. This had really helped his stability during the car rides. It is probably a lot easier moving a doodle than a 100+ lb pyr but perhaps you can practice in using a clicker and some high value treats. I like shaping behaviors. First treat if the dog approaches the car, then treat if the dog put her paw on it, then treat when she sticks her head in it. Work slowly like this until she steps into the car. It is a long process but it will work in the end if you don't go too fast.

Puppy (New Member)

Mary`s Photos

I do have a clicker and that is a great idea! I hadn't needed to use it with a dog in years but am going to try that as I've had success with it in the past with other dogs and other issues. Zoe is a sweet dog but this has been an issue since day 1 and she usually doesn't dig her heels in until the return trip when I most need her to just get in. She actually growled at me yesterday when trying to get her to load up after visiting the vet for routine shots. I ended up sitting in the back seat verbally encouraging her with tugs on the lead. I had no treats with me not expecting this level of rebellion but won't make that mistake again. And yes, adolescence has likely reared its ugly head as she loves her vet and all the attention she gets there.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo hated the car so anytime we took him anywhere we went and bought him cheeseburgers. Now the car is a good thing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

I agree with a 'treat' bribe ........ when I first got Lyric she wouldn't get out of the car ....... car was in the garage, I closed the garage door, left the car door open and the door to the house ........ even put food out in the garage for her. A few hours later she came in. That happened twice, after those couple of times, it never happened again ...